Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-NSC hasn’t flown since yesterday afternoon after a two hour delayed departure on LHR-DUB. Gone tech again?

EI-CVA was spotted without its starboard wing fence. The same thing happened to one of the EI-DE* reg A320s earlier in the year.

EI-DEM still stuck in Lanzarote.

EI-DUO due back on Seattle this afternoon after its issue.

In isolation these issues don’t seem like a big deal but combined with the (rumoured) staff shortages in maintenance and seeing such visible and regular tech issues in recent weeks, I’m starting to lose confidence in the reliability and trustworthiness of the Aer Lingus operation.

While unrelated to the Aer Lingus fleet directly, the Privilege Style 757 also appears tech in Dublin this afternoon which will cause more disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

EI-CVA is in service.

On its way back from Amsterdam at the moment

Good. A missing wing fence shouldn't take an A320 out of service, it may have already been replaced since yesterday but the regularity of these visible issues combined with the more disruptive tech issues such as EI-DEM, the need for a summer hire in, talk of maintenance staff shortages etc. is what's casting some doubt in mind about their reliability at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Is this different to any Summer previous. Always AOG issues, someone drives a van into the plane at an outstation etc.

NSC seems to be cursed, she is off the Toulouse production line not Hamburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

A loader hit the PS 757 and grounded it! Don’t know what damage was done to it but it also had a knock on effect with EI86 from CLE, which was waiting for over an hour for that gate before heading to a different gate to disembark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭MOR316

Booking a flight to NY in December.

When I click on flight details on the booking page, it says "XT4 105 operated by Aer Lingus"

What's an XT4? It usually says Airbus...I'm not flying on some flimsy jet that I'm gonna feel every bump and shake, am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

No idea, but I can't imagine the airline's primary transatlantic service (EI105 DUB-JFK) being outsourced. Are you booking on the Aer Lingus website?

Yep.

I checked different dates. It stops saying "Airbus 330-300" after a date in October and then it's XT4 all the way right through until dates coming into the summer 2024.

They couldn't possibly outsource the transatlantic flights to Privilege Style...That's what Aer Lingus take most pride in! I've heard it happen to people going to Europe, Spain and Portugal in particular, with Privilege and they've all reported horror stories back. From organisation, to service to just being downright terrified of flying on the old Boeing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Transatlantic flights ex SNN have been outsourced multiple times; and DUB longer ago (ignoring the fully branded and controlled ASL 757 stuff too). I'd still expect that to be an error rather than reality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's the A330-300, they are showing these codes based on the vairant which is proablly just an IT issue when loaded.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Much appreciated. I'm not a great flyer. (Flown 100s of times, just can never shake the fear) so things like that flick a switch in me

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

I remember heading to JFK in the mid 1990’s on some kind of Scottish airline - Caledonian? But on an Aer Lingus ticket - coming back was on Air Europa if I recall. Even had the Shannon stopover. The Scot’s were grand - made an announcement that drink was available in the galley. First come first served. Air Europa (I think) were mediocre.

interesting that according to this article it was a Lockheed Tristar - did not realise I had flown that plane - https://simpleflying.com/aer-lingus-transatlantic-operations-history/

I also recall flying a SAS plane in the early 2000’s where we boarded the plane through the back. Any idea what plane that was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Sounds like an MD-80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

That was an MD-80 without doubt!

Back in the 90’s EI had hire ins every summer to cope with demand, Caledonian we’re one operator with Tri Stars which are eventually painted in full Aer Lingus livery, there were also World Airways MD-11’s which got the paint treatment also. It’s a little different to the Privilege aircraft, which are just ACME leases on a day to day basis as opposed to a summer contract.

The Privilege 757 is back in action this morning on EI582 DUB-AGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭bartkingcole

Thanks. I have a list of airlines and aircraft I have flown in so will be happy to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

Aerlingus have kept extremely quiet about the Fingal enforcement order, something I am very surprised about. Compared to Ryanair.

They don't have to deal with the issue in public. No doubt the airlines are all speaking to the DAA. There will be lawyers providing advice about options too, I'd say.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

In a way Aer Lingus are lucky to have Ryanair in their home base. They can allow them to shout from the rafters about issues that they themselves are unhappy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

So good to see another 757 flying out of DUB!

Wish EI ordered 757s years ago.

• Advertisement

IIRC they did evaluate the 757 in the 1980s, with a view to the DUB-LHR route in particular, but it was "too much aeroplane" for the company at the time. They had no other European routes that would justify such a large aircraft at that time (this was pre-LCCs) and the majority of sales in Europe were to charter operators (with the exception of BA and later Iberia and Icelandair) It was only much later that the 757 gravitated to substantial use on transatlantic operations, primarily with the US carriers.

EI-NSC hasn’t flown now for 5 days. It has spent most of this afternoon visible via Flight Radar 24 in Hanger 6.

EI-DEM still stranded in Lanzarote too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Trampas

With dem. Will ei have to ship a crew out to bring it home?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Very poor luck with a new delivery just off the line from Airbus

EI-NSD, the next A320neo, has now appeared on the final assembly line in Toulouse, without engines but fuselage fully painted.

A little earlier than I expected for a November delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I’d say they are probably hoping to get EI-NSC before then too!

Aer Lingus appear to have cancelled there westbound T/A from MAN this year on Dec 25th. Reservations closed very recently. The eastbound will operate on 24th arrinvg on 25th. I think loads weren't to bad last year but all subject to change.

Most years DUB closure comes up, maybe just not any money in it for Aer Lingus.

Secondly, heard some mixed reports on J occupancy on JFK with the jump in capacity and that's during the summer. Could you a tough winter filling a daily -300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bocages75

The MAN JFK is very busy most days in both cabins AND is carrying cargo most days too.

it’s only a shame ei have not expanded Manchester operations as quickly as they should have but expansion was never their strong point.

Advertisement