Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Dunno where they got that info from…?!? EIK is scheduled in for refit from the 2nd week in Feb and EIL from the 2nd week in March. Not saying your guy is wrong but everything is pointing to the work being done sooner rather than later….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It was announced to passengers on EI-EIL by the aircraft captain as recently as 19 January, as we departed from MIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Probably got the refit quote and decided the cheaper option is to keep them on the newer/leisure routes & throw 50 quid vouchers to anyone who bothers to complain.

MCO, MSP and if they ever need to upgauge EWR, PHL or IAD for a while.

I assume with the move to T3 in ORD they might try to have the standard A330s operating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Just tried to book DUB-MIA and nothing is showing in the S24 schedule. Is the route winter only? I had thought it was year-round...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The QR comes off MIA this week but QR config shows again around 6 weeks later. That's probally just the typical 4-6 week lead time to assign aircraft to routes etc.

Hopefully they are upgraded.

@x567 Winter only currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

They need to be better informed. Both are re-fit planned In Feb + Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Anyone know (or know where I can find out) which airframe is flying EI121 DUB-MCO tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭hunter164

€20 off, is that a piss take? Some sale….

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

I don't know where this so called reliable source got their info but they are wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I heard from a friend who's in EI, and not someone closer to me who also does that they are scoping out three new routes with the A330.

Las Vegas

Cancún

And one that makes sense given the massive numbers of Brazilian's here - Sao Paulo.

Were they talking crap or possible? I could see potential in all three routes having 3 or so flights a week

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sherology

With the XLRs coming in there will likely be 330 capacity for new longer haul flights. The, XLRs can absorb some existing routes with more frequency. New 330 capable routes, especially in the winter (like Cancun), and a 3/4 times weekly split to places like Vegas.

Sao Paulo would be worthy BUT with Iberia (and TAP) having large connected networks EI brand ID in South America might be a challenge.

Could also be MAN routes with DUB>MAN connected interliing (maybe an a330 man-dub-man late morning cycle to feed).

not wanting to shoot down your post or friend but all of those are very doubtful IMO. EI have have said before that the vast majority of people who travel to LAS from Dublin every year already fly EI to begin with and connect in LAX, SFO or JFK so they’ll just be cannibalising thier existing route network.

CAN, also unlikely, there isn’t a huge market here outside of package holidays for that neck of the woods and I can’t see it justifying the use of a 330 for a route that would be at best 3 weekly!

GRU, not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Yeah, none of those seem remotely realistic at the moment. Aer Lingus plays it safe when it comes to long haul, they know their market and stick to it, almost religiously at this point.

At best I can see LAS happening on a seasonal basis in a couple of years time. Maybe there’s a slim chance of CUN but only from Manchester and again, only on a winter seasonal basis.

GRU has no chance, weak demand, low yield and poor location over the likes of MAD and LIS which are better placed to serve South America. Virgin Atlantic, have tried and failed twice to launch LHR-GRU recently.

Not saying these routes aren’t being looked at, Aer Lingus must look at a dozen potential routes every year, but they are unlikely in the near term imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'll be amazed if BNA isn't in the next group of route announcements.

I did say to them are you sure!! It will be interesting to see what they plan in the future, because with XLRs coming along and nearly all the obvious destinations in North America well served, they will have to look at something different to keep expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jwm121

Nashville, Raleigh, Pittsburgh, St Louis, Montreal

Any selection of a few of these will probably be the new routes for 2025

TAPs most profitable route is Dublin to Rio via Lisbon I heard before, DAA were also supposedly talking to LATAM in 2023 but nothing ever came of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NYShamrock

Vegas and Cancun…maybe but São Paulo absolutely not…yields from Europe to Brazil are trash…Aer Lingus wouldn’t stand a chance with feed just from Dublin…even picking up some from the UK wouldn’t be enough! And to operate it daily would require 2 A330s…3/4 weekly makes it even less worthwhile.

As for existing 330 route switching to 321XLRs, I can’t see it happening. JFK, BOS, ORD will all remain 330 and the others the 321 won’t have the legs for with the exception of Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

What about Dallas or a Texas route in general? I could see Dallas being considered with the tie in with American Airlines

• Advertisement

I would say it couldn't sustain more than a 3 day a week to GRU, but tied in with another destination on a 332 would have some merit in looking at? Is it not the feeder type network that they are looking for heading across the Atlantic? Fares are always €750-€950 return which is way in advance to the fares that West coast USA gets most of the time. I would agree that you won't have much up the front. Surely a market to connect with the biggest country in South America with huge numbers Brazilians here would be of interest.

I agree that the like of BOS and JFK won't see the removal of a 330, but a day flight to each and maybe an additional EWR, PHL and IAD would garner some interest.

IAG have IB to operate to South America…. I see the 20 year old rumor of Cape Town hella more likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

What's the point in going up against the existing Dallas route operated by American?

Brazil is an extremely price-sensitive market, to the point that most would connect via Portugal to save €50.

When I went to GIG back in the day I ended up getting a business class fare on BA for something like £100 over the economy price and even at that I had the cabin largely to myself.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

They wouldn’t be going up against them anymore. They share revenue, fares, schedule and connections the same as they do on ORD and PHL

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

2025 will be an XLR focused route expansion.

Maybe a charter/winter only new A330 route in winter 24/25.

The talk of Brazil and South America in general seems unlikely but surely it will get to a point in the next few years where they have routes to every possible US city and cannot open anymore new routes there. What is likely to happen then?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Be nice if they sorted the Aer Club tier points and air miles too

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Surprised that no one (bar two of us regulars) ever mention Houston. America’s 4th biggest city by population and a right pain to get to from Ireland with EI and their JV partners. Quite a pleasant and cultured city too, but with few slot machines…

Maybe we could get a United route from there, but they were planning SFO before covid and that never resurfaced and with the cap now even less likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Tail section for the second XLR is in Hamburg XFW. Also been just over a month since the first entered final assembly so roll out shouldn’t be too much longer I expect.

Advertisement