Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

He’s not a reliable source.

Heard EI are stopping doing it anyway from better source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

kona wrote: »
    He's half right.

I'll second that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The panic is over so shipping by container is going to be vastly cheaper.

If things go wrong you can always get EI to step in again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

@Kona, and that signals the end of the A330 as a seated / cargo aircraft, the demand didn’t last.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The panic is over so shipping by container is going to be vastly cheaper.

If things go wrong you can always get EI to step in again

Given what we are seeing in a number of countries, I wish I had your optimism. The quantities of PPE being used now compared to 6 months ago is off the scale, and the requirement for a lot more could become a reality very rapidly and without much warning.

Given the uncertainties of so many aspects of world trade right now, I have to wonder if there is not a valid case for having a local based manufacturing capability, given the number of people out of work and unlikely to be re employed, the cost of setting up an appropriate facility would not be unreasonable, and security of supply going forward has to be a significant consideration.Running it would be dearer than the cost of buying in from China, but spending the money locally would have to be better for our economy.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Given what we are seeing in a number of countries, I wish I had your optimism. The quantities of PPE being used now compared to 6 months ago is off the scale, and the requirement for a lot more could become a reality very rapidly and without much warning.

Given the uncertainties of so many aspects of world trade right now, I have to wonder if there is not a valid case for having a local based manufacturing capability, given the number of people out of work and unlikely to be re employed, the cost of setting up an appropriate facility would not be unreasonable, and security of supply going forward has to be a significant consideration.Running it would be dearer than the cost of buying in from China, but spending the money locally would have to be better for our economy.

What has happened here is they placed an order and a portion of it was required immediately hence the air freight. Now that that demand has been met the balance of the order is being shipped by sea, also that will have started its journey months ago and will be a continuous conveyor of containers.

There is no “other” carrier, there were multiple rumours going around up to and including Cathay 747’s, Korean air 747’s and Delta A350’s. More rumours and gossip on the ramp/mound/grapevine/oldboysspottersclub than in a women’s gossip magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

smurfjed wrote: »
    @Kona, and that signals the end of the A330 as a seated / cargo aircraft, the demand didn’t last.

Im heartbroken:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

We should never be reliant on imports of PPE again, tax payers money would be far better spent on setting up our own local manufacturing facilities in several locations outside the capital than investing in private airline corporations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Aer Lingus appear to need 7 NEO next Summer. For DUB-YYZ,PHL,EWR,BDL,IAD and SNN-BOS/JFK.

Are they due more NEO a/c? I know the situation is fluid and subject to change at the moment. LRA,LRB,LRC werent able to get to IAD before.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Aer Lingus appear to need 7 NEO next Summer. For DUB-YYZ,PHL,EWR,BDL,IAD and SNN-BOS/JFK.

Are they due more NEO a/c? I know the situation is fluid and subject to change at the moment. LRA,LRB,LRC werent able to get to IAD before.

New Runway should be operational by next summer, and all new NEO's will be delivered with a 3rd ACT, so both takeoff performance and fuel uplift shouldn't be an issue next year from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

IAG results presentation stated 'introduction of 6 A321LR' for Aer Lingus but we know they've only received 4 and were due to get another 4 this year so its unclear if the IAG statement is a mistake or whether it means the airline is to receive 2 more frames and work with that going forward.

I think another 6 on top of the already delivered 4 in service is unlikely considering the environment.

New runway won't be operational till Q4 2021 (Planned) or now likely Q1 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

On the plus side, the planning condition restricting the number of movements may not be an issue for a while...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

If anything the runway is ahead of time as they never stopped work on it has were able to start on the works to cross 36 which would not have happened till post Summer season

If anything the runway is ahead of time as they never stopped work on it has were able to start on the works to cross 36 which would not have happened till post Summer season

7 weeks behind schedule as of 4-5 weeks ago with little to no hope of catching that up due to social distancing on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sherology

I would assume the SNN routes are one aircraft - not daily to both JFK/BOS but alternate days.

I'm due to fly to YYZ in the 18th... Any idea when EI will notify of cancellation (assume it won't go) so I can notify my Airbnb buddy?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

sherology wrote: »
    I would assume the SNN routes are one aircraft - not daily to both JFK/BOS but alternate days.

I'm due to fly to YYZ in the 18th... Any idea when EI will notify of cancellation (assume it won't go) so I can notify my Airbnb buddy?

I would concur regarding alternating flights ex-SNN next summer.

As for your DUB-YYZ flight, I thought cancellations were being notified it’s 4 weeks notice. (Certainly that was the case for my booking 3 weeks ago)
    I haven’t seen any evidence that EI are operating the route. My EI mates say no flights beyond JFK/BOS/OTD until at least mid-September.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Taken from the petition, regardless of the government presently pumping money into EI (PUP), does anyone think that the present manpower levels and fleet size can be maintained into 2021?

EI management haven't come up with voluntary severance or early retirement packages yet, Seems very slow off the mark.clearly they're going to say we've no money and make it compulsory

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Taken from the petition, regardless of the government presently pumping money into EI (PUP), does anyone think that the present manpower levels and fleet size can be maintained into 2021?

EI management haven't come up with voluntary severance or early retirement packages yet, Seems very slow off the mark.clearly they're going to say we've no money and make it compulsory

Id say they are trying their best to see how many will just leave due to not being given any hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

Bussywussy wrote: »

Being kept quiet but the package BA crew are being offered is actually not that bad. And rumour is that they got an overplus of people taking it. We will wait further news on this soon.
    Hopefully aer lingus offers something decent too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Kcormahs wrote: »
    Being kept quiet but the package BA crew are being offered is actually not that bad. And rumour is that they got an overplus of people taking it. We will wait further news on this soon.

Doubt they'll make an offer that would be anything worthwhile

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Kcormahs wrote: »
    I don’t have any info on the package on offer but I’m going to take a guess that the over subscription for the package is based more on the alternative.

BA have a lot of long haul crew who commute from abroad (EG. France, Spain and Dublin)
    If the fleets are merged their lifestyle will drastically change. They may be operating 3-4 days of short haul ex-London, neccisitating overnight accommodation in London.
    Couple that with a large drop in take home pay and a package that offers more than statutory suddenly becomes “attractive”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenger wrote: »
    I don’t have any info on the package on offer but I’m going to take a guess that the over subscription for the package is based more on the alternative.

BA have a lot of long haul crew who commute from abroad (EG. France, Spain and Dublin)
    If the fleets are merged their lifestyle will drastically change. They may be operating 3-4 days of short haul ex-London, neccisitating overnight accommodation in London.
    Couple that with a large drop in take home pay and a package that offers more than statutory suddenly becomes “attractive”.

Often wondered about this, met a BA crew member who lived in Kerry. Is it really worthwhile? Assume they travel to LHR from their own pocket?

Either flying on duty = FREE or getting a ID90 fare or other internal industry rate

BA and Virgin crew very regular on LHR with EI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Its often cheaper for them to buy an online confirmed ticket. Most times they are flying off peak. At worst get a one way confirmed ticket and then an ID ticket if the other sector is priced as silly money. Its different horses for courses as it depends on each companies roster stability and likelihood for it to change which will influence when you can book the tickets. In the case of BA they have had the CAA all over them regarding crew rest prior to reporting for duty so it can be advantageous to fly with EI rather than their own airline to remain under the radar and not show up as on staff travel. The reality being that a flight from Dublin/Cork/SNN/BHD to LHR will likely be a hell of a lot quicker than some of the "local" commutes involving the M25.

Cathay and prior to covid the commuters flying for the Chinese airlines are regulars as well. In the case of the latter they could be commuting to any of the major European airports depending on their base eg:AMS, CDG etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

My Cabin crew friend in AL says it often cheaper to fly RY to England than staff fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

joeysoap wrote: »
    My Cabin crew friend in AL says it often cheaper to fly RY to England than staff fare.

I can imagine, hard to beat a 9.99 fare ex KIR to STN and an Easybus to LHR if you're BA crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

cson wrote: »
    I can imagine, hard to beat a 9.99 fare ex KIR to STN and an Easybus to LHR if you're BA crew.

Some commute though! How frequent would they do it? Twice every 8/9 days?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Van.Bosch wrote: »

I’m ex crew; I did long haul based out of London and commuted from NOC for a while! I’d have to dig out old rosters but I don’t think I’d ever have done more than 4 trips in a month, and probably less, say 3, if they were longer trips etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Not really. If you are crew and used to the flying, its just a reason to have a nap!

Advertisement