Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Noxegon

duskyjoe wrote: »

Ooh, I can’t wait to see the political fallout if that happens ;)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Nothing new in this, operating from the UK with the LR was something suggested when the first LR arrived in 2019.

There are 4 more to deliver in 2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Nothing new in this, operating from the UK with the LR was something suggested when the first LR arrived in 2019.

There are 4 more to deliver in 2020

With respect there is something new in this. They are looking at basing aircraft elsewhere and off shore for their TA ops. Whatever our opinion let’s hope they get the business in- it’s bleak out there

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Is this a surprise when the government have basically stuck their head in the sand when it comes to aviation, no updated green list, tourism etc.in the last few weeks? I work in SNN and I can't blame aer Lingus if they up to the UK as they are a business and have to make money.
    The government tactic of not even trying anything like testing on arrival, being able to produce a test on arrival instead just saying nothing and confusing a nation and others is so incredibly frustrating for anyone working in aviation or tourism and fighting to keep a business going.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Very poorly worded headline, if my understanding is correct.
    The literal understanding would be that the service is moved to operate from a different country, via Shannon. However reading the article my understanding is the the service is cancelled and the aircraft are moved to a different country to operate a different service? Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,795 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With respect there is something new in this. They are looking at basing aircraft elsewhere and off shore for their TA ops. Whatever our opinion let’s hope they get the business in- it’s bleak out there

Its not actually new though - they operated MAD-IAD in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

L1011 wrote: »

On behalf of UAL not in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

BZ wrote: »
    Is this a surprise when the government have basically stuck their head in the sand when it comes to aviation, no updated green list, tourism etc.in the last few weeks? I work in SNN and I can't blame aer Lingus if they up to the UK as they are a business and have to make money.
    The government tactic of not even trying anything like testing on arrival, being able to produce a test on arrival instead just saying nothing and confusing a nation and others is so incredibly frustrating for anyone working in aviation or tourism and fighting to keep a business going.

The US are now allowing people in from Ireland or the UK or Europe and if you can you are restricted. The idea such a move is based on the current operating environment is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How long can Aer Lingus keep going under these travel restrictions without substantial reform?

Gael23 wrote: »
    How long can Aer Lingus keep going under these travel restrictions without substantial reform?

Reform of what? No amount of changes to cost base (which is the most resilient in terms of operation in IAG) will change anything. Revenue is collapsed by over 90%. EI know this themselves.

The Business will continue to burn cash with current restrictions the fixed costs don't go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

L1011 wrote: »

Is this the time for point scoring ? No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Reform of what? No amount of changes to cost base (which is the most resilient in terms of operation in IAG) will change anything. Revenue is collapsed by over 90%. EI know this themselves.

The Business will continue to burn cash with current restrictions the fixed costs don't go away.
    Presumably he means by reform is the offloading of the cost base. At the moment I presume the largest driver of cost is the finance, leasing and storage of aircraft.

So by reform I would guess he means disposing of aircraft, cancelling orders, ending leases etc. That information I suspect will not be known outside the boardroom though.

Presumably he means by reform is the offloading of the cost base. At the moment I presume the largest driver of cost is the finance, leasing and storage of aircraft.

So by reform I would guess he means disposing of aircraft, cancelling orders, ending leases etc. That information I suspect will not be known outside the boardroom though.

It would make no strategical sense to do that, for it to have a financial impact you would be offloading the vast majority of the fleet and in a post COVID recovery the company would then find itself in a market where globally aircraft are re-entering service and leases go up, despite being the the best airline in the group for ROIC.

If it made sense it would be have been done already unfortunately.

Jack1985 wrote: »

For how long can they continue to burn cash/operate at a loss?

Gael23 wrote: »
    For how long can they continue to burn cash/operate at a loss?

Another few month’s is my estimate. Whether or not IAG continue to support it is anyone’s guess, Willie Walsh says they will but money talks and the Qatari's are in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

That would be the end of the road for Shannon Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I’d be surprised if it happens, I’d be even more surprised if it works out.

Firstly, the Aer Lingus brand doesn’t work in the UK outside of seeing Ireland as a destination or connecting point, they have tried and failed multiple times now.

Secondly, while it’s possible it could be another ‘Operated by Aer Lingus’ venture like Little Red or the Madrid ops for United, I don’t see what IAG has to gain from that or why they wouldn’t source aircraft from their large UK registered fleet if they wanted.

Transfer traffic through DUB from EDI/MAN says otherwise

In the world of Skyscanner, its price not brand

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I’d be surprised if it happens, I’d be even more surprised if it works out.

Firstly, the Aer Lingus brand doesn’t work in the UK outside of seeing Ireland as a destination or connecting point, they have tried and failed multiple times now.

Secondly, while it’s possible it could be another ‘Operated by Aer Lingus’ venture like Little Red or the Madrid ops for United, I don’t see what IAG has to gain from that or why they wouldn’t source aircraft from their large UK registered fleet if they wanted.

I believe the MAN base was profitable before Thatcher booted them out no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

HTCOne wrote: »
    I believe the MAN base was profitable before Thatcher booted them out no?

:D

30 years ago Maggie finished up as PM. The scene has changed just a little bit since !

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

3d4life wrote: »
    :D

30 years ago Maggie finished up as PM. The scene has changed just a little bit since !

Indeed, there’s no State owned British Airways to protect anymore! MAN is worth a shot if travel between UK and US opens up in fairness. Virgin are on their knees, Thomas Cook are gone, the yanks will be in full retreat once CARES expires and nobody has anything that can compete with the LR’s operating costs.

It’s either that or park them up for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Fair play to them for coming up with a plan with a reasonable chance of success, any sort of ops that will bring in some cash is great!

With Norwegian on the ropes, Virgin in serious trouble and possibly going to shut everything bar LHR, Thomas Cook is gone

There is market there for direct services, BA has no interest and doesn't have the aircraft either.

If EI doesn't move on this quickly JetBlue will be in, they have the aircraft and interior (actually better than EI as they have doors on the business class seats)

This relates to AL moving their Transatlantic services to the UK. I opened a thread on it earlier but the mods merged it with this one.

Siptu to.ballot members for strike action
    https://twitter.com/ingridmileyRTE/status/1300474543748845568?s=19

Are Lingus moving to UK
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-may-move-transatlantic-services-from-shannon-to-the-uk-1.4342317?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

The spinning of the story about EI looking into UK flights as Shannon losing out is interesting. Their TATL network from Dublin has been decimated and they currently have a large number of their LH fleet in storage. Yet for some reason it's being sold as Shannon that's going to be the loser as if the rest of the network is carrying on regardless.

john boye wrote: »
    The spinning of the story about EI looking into UK flights as Shannon losing out is interesting. Their TATL network from Dublin has been decimated and they currently have a large number of their LH fleet in storage. Yet for some reason it's being sold as Shannon that's going to be the loser as if the rest of the network is carrying on regardless.

With transatlantic flights drastically reduced and no end to Covid restrictions in sight it looks inevitable that it will close. This will be disastrous for the West of Ireland.

HTCOne wrote: »
    Indeed, there’s no State owned British Airways to protect anymore! MAN is worth a shot if travel between UK and US opens up in fairness. Virgin are on their knees, Thomas Cook are gone, the yanks will be in full retreat once CARES expires and nobody has anything that can compete with the LR’s operating costs.

It’s either that or park them up for the winter.

Very well put. IAG don't have the aircraft other than in EI for this venture, a test in the water exercise if you like for an eventual replacement by BA when they get the metal.

They are burning cash currently anything that reduces that must be welcome and will be by their workforce, the moving of assets by an Irish brand out of ROI is a sad reflection of sh*te governance with no direction.

In addition to the targeting of 2 TATL UK Regional routes, at least two London TATL services expected also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

I do wonder what the market for these flights is as long as quarantine rules in the UK and the not insignificant fact of the US continuing to have its outright ban on inbound tourists.

Advertisement