Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Supposedly delivering first/business class seat products to Boeing for installation in one of their customer's aircraft. There is a company in the north that produce them.

Thomson Aero Seats in Banbridge possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

That could be it. I seem to remember another firm in Kilkeel back in the day but not sure if they are still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Sounds plausible

They landed at SEA though it might of being simpler to land at BFI or PAE. Though would Boeing live down the very last built A330ceo showing up on its turf...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Sounds plausible

They landed at SEA though it might of being simpler to land at BFI or PAE. Though would Boeing live down the very last built A330ceo showing up on its turf...

They have assembly lines in Boeing Field and Renton, which are both right next door to SEA. I think there’s a final / cabin fitout facility in Boeing Field too, though I could be totally wrong there. Last time I was at BFI, there were pax 767s waiting to be collected by customers so shows how long ago that was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Correct

• Advertisement

HTCOne wrote: »
    They have assembly lines in Boeing Field and Renton, which are both right next door to SEA. I think there’s a final / cabin fitout facility in Boeing Field too, though I could be totally wrong there. Last time I was at BFI, there were pax 767s waiting to be collected by customers so shows how long ago that was!

BFI is minutes away (you fly over it on the approach to SEA). Renton/Pane Field is the other side of Seattle and not a road journey you would wish on anyone. East Marginal way on both sides is just 737 Max parked in every inch of space.

Hopefully this is sustained business for EI as it will do wonders to support EI resuming SEA flights (as will the Ryanair pilots being sent to collect the 737's).

Anyone make sense of this? Don’t see why IAG would overlook BA to operate these flights, would be an industrial relations own goal and I’d imagine UK people would prefer to travel their own “national airline”.

Unless it’s flights from Belfast

https://m.independent.ie/business/world/aer-lingus-in-british-government-talks-on-direct-uk-us-flights-39688149.html

BA doesn't have any aircraft capable of operating those routes on a commercial basis since they got rid of the 757's 10 years ago. BA did have a go at Glasgow - JFK with a 757.

777/787 are too big, the only aircraft that can do the job is the A321NEOLR which EI has and EI has a cost base much lower than BA to start with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Anyone make sense of this? Don’t see why IAG would overlook BA to operate these flights, would be an industrial relations own goal and I’d imagine UK people would prefer to travel their own “national airline”.

https://m.independent.ie/business/world/aer-lingus-in-british-government-talks-on-direct-uk-us-flights-39688149.html

UK people are already flying Aer Lingus to the states in their droves(well pre pandemic) connecting via Dublin, Aer Lingus are now considering offering them direct services

Locker10a wrote: »
    UK people are already flying Aer Lingus to the states in their droves(well pre pandemic) connecting via Dublin, Aer Lingus are now considering offering them direct services

I know that but that’s from Dublin a completely different territory. Aer Lingus moving onto BA’s home turf with their lesser t&cs (although they may be more equal after the Covid BA slashing) would surely cause an industrial relations outcry.

The a321 issue makes sense. However I can’t see the unions accepting this in the long term.

Also confused from a branding point of view. BA is their uk Trans Atlantic brand (yes people are also using EI from Dublin), do they now have to adapt their uk advertising to now include both Aer Lingus and BA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I wouldn't put much weight behind the British having much loyalty to their national airline. British Airways has had its reputation dragged through the mud in recent years, rightly or wrongly it has become known for substandard service, poor staff relations and a Heathrow centric focus so intense that most of the UK regions probably don't even think of BA anymore.

Aer Lingus has the right sized aircraft, a lower cost base with plenty of room to make it even lower in a new UK based operation, it also has a well respected brand and good service reputation. Brand awareness, as always, is the biggest hurdle for Aer Lingus in the UK but progress has been made on that over the past decade.

At a time when Scotland and the North of England have increasingly strained relationships with Westminster, there is a real hunger from these regions to forge their own economic path and reduce the perceived over reliance on London and the South. More than ever politicians, local businesses and councils want to achieve "wins" for their constituents and the prospect of securing a fleet of glossy new aircraft on a well known airline for flights across the Atlantic will be very tempting to them, the incentives alone could be enough for Aer Lingus and IAG.

I know that but that’s from Dublin a completely different territory. Aer Lingus moving onto BA’s home turf with their lesser t&cs (although they may be more equal after the Covid BA slashing) would surely cause an industrial relations outcry.

The a321 issue makes sense. However I can’t see the unions accepting this in the long term.

Also confused from a branding point of view. BA is their uk Trans Atlantic brand (yes people are also using EI from Dublin), do they now have to adapt their uk advertising to now include both Aer Lingus and BA?
    EI aren’t directly replacing BA on any routes, so I don’t see the issue. EI are opening up their own routes to directly serve a new market.
    They are both IAG airlines that’s all, no different to Vueling serving many UK-Europe routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

BFI is minutes away (you fly over it on the approach to SEA). Renton/Pane Field is the other side of Seattle and not a road journey you would wish on anyone. East Marginal way on both sides is just 737 Max parked in every inch of space.

Hopefully this is sustained business for EI as it will do wonders to support EI resuming SEA flights (as will the Ryanair pilots being sent to collect the 737's).

Paine Field is in Everett, well north of Seattle. The Renton and Boeing Field facilities are very close together, almost equidistant from Sea-Tac. Renton is the main 737 facility, Everett is 767 tanker and freighter, 777 pax and freighter, 747-8F and currently some 787 lines which are moving to Charleston. I think BFI is mostly final fit-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

HTCOne wrote: »
    Paine Field is in Everett, well north of Seattle. The Renton and Boeing Field facilities are very close together, almost equidistant from Sea-Tac. Renton is the main 737 facility, Everett is 767 tanker and freighter, 777 pax and freighter, 747-8F and currently some 787 lines which are moving to Charleston. I think BFI is mostly final fit-out.

Another Seattle on tomorrow’s schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ekellyie

I take it the retirement of EI-DEB,DEC, and DEA is a similar strategy that BA had in retiring their 747’s.
    Is it likely that when travel demand returns, EI will start to think about bringing replacements to their short haul fleet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Nothing to do with “home turf” if it’s a new service that BA don’t currently operate. It’s the airport offering an enticement for any airline to start the service.

Differences in staff T&Cs are only of a concern if BA were subcontracting EI to operate their own flights

As for branding it’s very simple. BA and EI branding is very different, each airline in IAG is given a lot of leeway to maximise their commercial operation.

ekellyie wrote: »
    I take it the retirement of EI-DEB,DEC, and DEA is a similar strategy that BA had in retiring their 747’s.
    Is it likely that when travel demand returns, EI will start to think about bringing replacements to their short haul fleet?

Possibly but also, they seem to be still receiving new a321lrs, these can also be used to provide short haul capacity in between their transatlantic trips, and I’m sure this will be utilised again when the demand exists

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

EI-LAX looks like it's going into long storage at SNN.

2k4WZkn

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭joeysoap

With this talk about the vaccine, we could be back in business next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

joeysoap wrote: »
    With this talk about the vaccine, we could be back in business next summer.

Cool your jets.
    Having a vaccine is huge (with Moderna only weeks behind and 11 others in phase 3 testing) but production, distribution and actual vaccinations will be the logistical bottleneck.
    EG, the Pfizer vaccine requires transport at sub zero temperatures.

IAG estimate air traffic levels won’t recover until 2023.
    MoL estimates Ryanair operation will be at about 80% of capacity next summer.

We need 10+ billion doses as both possible vaccines require two doses. We only have enough for 20% of the population on order for Ireland. Just enough to cover all in the healthcare and those over 65.

It will probably be late Summer before we can get to 'normal' but we should have an uptick

What needs to be agreed is a documentation standard to show you are vaccinated, the good old yellow book? We need a WHO statement that if you have the two doses and X days have past you are exempted from all the hassle crossing borders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

We need 10+ billion doses as both possible vaccines require two doses. We only have enough for 20% of the population on order for Ireland. Just enough to cover all in the healthcare and those over 65.

It will probably be late Summer before we can get to 'normal' but we should have an uptick

What needs to be agreed is a documentation standard to show you are vaccinated, the good old yellow book? We need a WHO statement that if you have the two doses and X days have past you are exempted from all the hassle crossing borders.
    The EU is ordering 300m doses of the Pfizer/BIONTech vaccine.

It also has agreed to purchase 300 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine (with an option to buy 100 million more), 300 million doses of the Sanofi-GSK vaccine and 200 million vaccines (with the option of a further 200 million) from Janssen Pharmaceutica NV. https://www.thejournal.ie/chinese-vaccine-5261846-Nov2020/

Ireland is part of the EU purchase scheme, so we won't be buying it on our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

I personally feel optimistic. For the first time in 6 months + there is some sign of positive changes both with the new testing options and traffic light system plus the news about the vacine being 90% effective. Its not going to solve every problem but it certainly will improve the situation I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

SNNUS wrote: »
    EI-LAX looks like it's going into long storage at SNN.

2k4WZkn

No.2 Eng Change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Does anyone know why EI-LRA has been out of action for over a week? Is it in maintenance.

Interesting developments. Anna aero stating up to 4 ac could operate out if Manchester next year. I guess there is aircraft and they need to be used somewhere.
    https://www.anna.aero/2020/11/12/aer-lingus-to-possibly-operate-manchester-us-what-routes-most-likely/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Interesting developments. Anna aero stating up to 4 ac could operate out if Manchester next year. I guess there is aircraft and they need to be used somewhere.
    https://www.anna.aero/2020/11/12/aer-lingus-to-possibly-operate-manchester-us-what-routes-most-likely/

I think the real story in that link is the suggestion that Aer Lingus might offer a service to Las Vegas :) How long has that been a topic here?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    I think the real story in that link is the suggestion that Aer Lingus might offer a service to Las Vegas :) How long has that been a topic here?

Just not from the airport people wanted :D

• Advertisement

At best it will be BOS and JFK

If things get interesting EI could fill the gap left by TC and Virgin and fly to MCO, no shortage of A330's

Advertisement