Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Missed that then I would say no A320 based at SNN in S21...DUB will do the other LHRs and FAO. I think AGP is dropped anyway.

Also meant to say for one or two days the A320 is showing at the 7.30 departure. FAO seems dropped now as well and AGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Looks to me like the 12.40 ex SNN will be dropped and the 2 afternoons crewed from Dublin. SNN aircraft do morning LHR then Faro/Malaga and possibly a W to Cork (or Dublin). That would probably allow them only base 3 in Cork for S21.

SNN loses the early LHR back to BHD again after it was swapped a few years ago.

Just speculation on my part.

From my info, Cork 3 a/c which you correctly point out - No 320 in SNN. Two 321LR's for 380 (early LHR) and BOS/JFK. As you refer later SNN-LHR's also by DUB crew.

SNN-FAO could be operated by DUB crew, similarly AGP. Not sure if EI will have appetite to price war with FR recovering demand on such a small-scale market.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I see EI have transferred 5 x weekly LHR slot pairs to Delta. I wonder which services will be binned.

https://www.acl-uk.org/completed-slot-trades/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It is a swap not a sale, though the slots EI has traded would be lucrative to a US carrier, so EI probably has a nice pile of $$$ in rental

0900 arrival slot 4 days a week, 1000 1 day a week and the matching returns

EI and DL have danced around these specific slots for years

EI156/7 appears to be gone for S21. Could be that slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Still under construction and on the German register, once it’s delivered and placed on the Irish register it will be peeled back and an Irish flag and reg will magically appear

Why do they go to the trouble of putting a German flag up there to have to take it off afterwards?
    As far as I'm aware there's no specific EASA legislation mandating flags. From what I understand it's up to the operator if they want to display a national flag.
    If you Google Aer Lingus tail you'll see Aer Lingus don't put any flag up there, if we don't have to do it the Germans don't have to either.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    From my info, Cork 3 a/c which you correctly point out - No 320 in SNN. Two 321LR's for 380 (early LHR) and BOS/JFK. As you refer later SNN-LHR's also by DUB crew.

SNN-FAO could be operated by DUB crew, similarly AGP. Not sure if EI will have appetite to price war with FR recovering demand on such a small-scale market.

Looks like another change in the schedule today. The A320 is showing in SNN LHR . Are the 2 NEO due back to SNN for S21? If restrictions are lifted etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Why do they go to the trouble of putting a German flag up there to have to take it off afterwards?
    As far as I'm aware there's no specific EASA legislation mandating flags. From what I understand it's up to the operator if they want to display a national flag.
    If you Google Aer Lingus tail you'll see Aer Lingus don't put any flag up there, if we don't have to do it the Germans don't have to either.

It’s a requirement in Germany. As the frame is currently on the German register it must display the German flag along with the tail number.

Brings an interesting question tho. In Germany it’s not a requirement to have the reg on the underside of the wing, but it is a requirement in Ireland.... so is the EI reg on the wing already and just taped over??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

7:20 on today’s 136! That’s one long flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It’s a requirement in Germany. As the frame is currently on the German register it must display the German flag along with the tail number.

Brings an interesting question tho. In Germany it’s not a requirement to have the reg on the underside of the wing, but it is a requirement in Ireland.... so is the EI reg on the wing already and just taped over??

Already painted on, I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The EI reg is definitely painted on the underside of the wing very early on during construction but don’t think I’ve ever seen it taped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is ei-lax definitely going to scrap or are these just rumours ? Seen a post on Facebook the other day saying her days are up.

The EI reg is definitely painted on the underside of the wing very early on during construction but don’t think I’ve ever seen it taped over.
    I have, it's quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I have, it's quite common.

During testing at Hamburg?

During testing at Hamburg?

Not Hamburg but other places where an aircraft was transitioning from one authority to another where the aircraft had been painted in advance of transfer. They painted on the new registration and taped over it and temporally put on the the existing reg.
    At hand over the tape comes off the new reg and the existing reg is removed.

I'm just surprised the German LBA mandate a German flag on the tail when EASA don't, you'd imagine there'd be some sort of leeway for aircraft that are only going to be on the German reg for a very brief period of time.
    Seems like a waste of time putting on a German flag for what's usually only two flights.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Is ei-lax definitely going to scrap or are these just rumours ? Seen a post on Facebook the other day saying her days are up.
    I think it’s an assumption, but a very solid one at that.

EI had planned to phase out the A332s by Summer 2024.
    LAX is the oldest A332 at 21+ years old. (Delivered circa April/May ‘99)
    EI don’t need their full fleet until at least 2022.
    LAX costs money to store.

Ergo, LAX will be scrapped.
    My opinion, lacking any internal knowledge would be in agreement with this.

Keep in mind that the “Dublin movements” group has a lot of enthusiasts with no actual internal knowledge of Aer Lingus or any other airline. The ability to take cracking pictures doesn’t convey aviation knowledge. I’ve seen some woefully inaccurate stuff posted there. A guy 2 weeks ago was claiming EI “operated unsuccessfully” Gatwick to the USA in the mid 2000s!!!
    The “aer Lingus past and present” is almost as bad.
    (There are of course certain members of both group who are reliable with info)

I'm just surprised the German LBA mandate a German flag on the tail when EASA don't, you'd imagine there'd be some sort of leeway for aircraft that are only going to be on the German reg for a very brief period of time.
    Seems like a waste of time putting on a German flag for what's usually only two flights.
    Off-topic but an illustration of a German “leeway” regarding regulations.
    The US tank, the M1 Abrams has a metal locking bolt to hold the gun barrel in place when being transported by road/rail. German regulations insist gun barrels must be secured with a rope during transit. So for the last 30 years, when they have been moving Abrams tanks the tankers had to tie a rope (of the specified thickness) over the locked gun barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

EI-DEA A320 was air-tested from Dublin today for a couple of hours, in Allegiant livery. This was a return-to-lessor flight.

Bit off topic but I see reports of cara magazine ceasing publication (I read it as permanent). Hope not, it’s a well written magazine which I used to look forward to and differentiated Aer Lingus to Ryanair

It hasn't been published since Feb 2020 so doubtful we will see it until at least September. I could see the routes/transfer info being rolled into the food/in flight sales booklet

Don't underestimate the fuel saving from small savings in weight and the production costs, do I really need to know in advance how rubbish the TATL in flight selection will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Tenger wrote: »

Keep in mind that the “Dublin movements” group has a lot of enthusiasts with no actual internal knowledge of Aer Lingus or any other airline.

The Allegiant 320 seriously messed with their heads! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

It hasn't been published since Feb 2020 so doubtful we will see it until at least September. I could see the routes/transfer info being rolled into the food/in flight sales booklet

Don't underestimate the fuel saving from small savings in weight and the production costs, do I really need to know in advance how rubbish the TATL in flight selection will be.

I always understood the reason behind inflight mags was the advertising. It was traditionally seen as high end leisure and business travel orientated. Hence ads for upmarket restaurants and hotels you see. Obviously the world has changed but I would have thought there was still some value there.

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Bit off topic but I see reports of cara magazine ceasing publication (I read it as permanent). Hope not, it’s a well written magazine which I used to look forward to and differentiated Aer Lingus to Ryanair
    Saw that article in the Sunday Times myself.
    Could only read the start of it (not a subscriber) Impression given was permanent closure. Mentioned that adverts were very expensive due to the readership of 1 million per month and that 3 jobs have been lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Mayo_fan wrote: »

As far as I know it is/was a separate stand-alone publication by an outside company. EI would have input into it but the publication company sold the advertising and would have run it at a profit.

I'd imagine with advertising and circulation likely to be significantly down, they would have no choice but to cease. Their only alternative would be a subsidy from EI if they really wanted to keep it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aer-lingus-puts-in-flight-magazine-cara-in-freefall-cts0n3z0n
    Cara, Aer Lingus’s in-flight magazine, has ceased publication due to the collapse in airline travel. The glossy publication had a potential readership of well over a million for every issue, and the costliest advertising rates of any Irish magazine.

Seems like it is well and truly dead. Won't really miss it, if you were flying several times a month over the winter period it got boring real quick as was the repeat ads for certain legal and property firms. Production quailty was top notch to everyones credit and better than some of the junk I've seen on other 'full service' carriers.

They stopped doing the photo competition years ago where you could send in a photo for some token prize

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Not to mention sanitising, you can hardly wipe down every page of every copy in every seat between every flight, and replacing every copy between every leg would blow the whole business case out of the water I should imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

AFAIK, it was published by Image publishing, who do Irish women's magazines. It was also known as a handy number for certain journos to submit severely non-critical "travel reviews" and get a few days in cities flown to by EI, which is why you always got review after review of hotels and places in Barcelona and Paris. The fleet cleaners will be glad to see the back of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Bia being re-introduced from 1st of December for those that missed it!

www.aerlingus-bia.com

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

"IAG...has issued a letter of intent for 200 737 MAX aircraft. These would be delivered between 2023 and 2027, but there has been discussion that IAG wants to bring this forward to 2022. And despite the slowdown in 2020, IAG remains keen.

It is a good example of how the consolidation in Europe has helped airline’s orders. IAG can split the aircraft between British Airways, Iberia, Vueling, Aer Lingus, and LEVEL. Early indications were that the aircraft were intended for LEVEL and Vueling, but this is not certain."

Quote from this article: https://simpleflying.com/biggest-boeing-737-max-order/

It's early to say without a confirmed order, but could EI have a mixed fleet if IAG, at group level, decided to invest in the Max?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

"
    It's early to say without a confirmed order, but could EI have a mixed fleet if IAG, at group level, decided to invest in the Max?

I doubt it highly, it wouldn’t make sense and would add cost and complexity to operations, crew training, engineering etc etc

Advertisement