Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Thats the same Aircraft that diverted back to Dublin earlier in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not aircraft related.

East coast has seen alot of thunderstorms in the last day or 2. There was a significant ground stop at JFK yesterday evening due to thunderstorms with multiple cancellations and diversions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think one of the display planes just flew over Raheny … loud engine roar. Any ideas which one?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pretty sure it was a turboprop... was on same flight path as the Jordanian Falcons took on Friday I think. Never seen regular flights take that path.

I had a quick scan of flight radar afterwards…wonder if it might have been the Beech H18.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There's a helicopter buzzing around Dublin at the moment that isn't tracker on Flightradar 24. Sounds like it is small and has a fenestron. I've hear it a few times over the last month.

Is this a Garda helicopter? It isn't as loud as one of the other ones, that can be rather piercing in an urban area due to the sound reflecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Just watched 3 aircraft backtracking simultaneously on 28L and a Ryanair from Nice stationary on the taxiway. Quite a few aircraft holding. I don't know how long the Ryanair has been stuck there. At least it got clear of the exits so others can turn at the end of the rwy.

Edit: Looks like ATC is bringing in 3 at a time and queueing them up at the western end of the taxiway before having them backtrack together, although some are managing to exit as S4(?) and avoid the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭dublin12367

still don’t understand why they don’t switch the arrivals to 28R and departures to 28L in cases like this. A large number holding for 28L currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Appears the aircraft has a flat tyre(s)

1 tyre burst on landing , the other is nearly off as well.

Passengers being taken off and bussed to the terminal.

ATC have a landing rate restriction currently in place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Was wondering what that drone noise was.. An12B flew overhead at FL25.

https://www.flightradar24.com/CVK7011/3685325d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Has Dublin ever operated on that basis since the parallel runway was opened? I don't think it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭dublin12367

No, I don’t think it has either.

Planning dictates that 28L shall be preferred for landings and 28 R for departures in normal circumstances.

Taken from daa’s website “Option 7B is a preferred runway concept, which was agreed as part of the 2007 runway planning permission to lessen the impact of aircraft noise on local communities.

Mode of operation 7B provides that:

• the parallel runways - 10R-28L (existing main runway) and 10L-28R (North Runway) - shall be used in preference to the cross runway, 16-34; 
    • In westerly operations, when winds are westerly, approximately 70% of the time, Runway 28L shall be preferred for arriving aircraft; either Runway 28L or 28R shall be used for departing aircraft as determined by air traffic control.”

I would think the planning therefore allows for the switch in cases like today so I’m not sure what the actual reason is that they don’t and instead leave aircraft circling over the Irish Sea, resulting in one diversion to Cork this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Perhaps the reason they didn't use 28R for landing is the same one given for not operating dual runway operations during reduced visibility - lack of familiarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Which begs the question..... How is it made familiar?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Three go-arounds in a row right now at Dublin and a lot of stacking going on.

Switching runways now

Edit - Gone to single runway ops on the south runway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When if ever is the DAA going to get full value out of that large investment in the north runway? Between ATC restrictions and the stupid cap…

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I think i remember hearing and I can be corrected on this but heard that the northern runway needs to pass some tests for night time flying and low visibility yet….I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Quick question.

Not withstanding that the data could be innacurate, would a military plane, even a friendly one, be expected to advise in advance if they are in the area and might cross over into Irish airspace?

RAF A400 appeared to tip into Irish Airspace earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vswr

Call the anti war protesters !!!!

While technically over "Irish territorial waters" (the lines you're referring to as airspace).

They didn't actually enter the Shannon FIR, and were still in Prestwick controlled lower airspace.

Also, under "innocent passage" it is permissible for a ship to transit territorial waters or an aircraft to transit the air over territorial waters, providing that they are transiting, not loitering in the territorial waters, not being a navigation hazard, not being a nuisance and not doing anything contrary to the sovereignty of the country (spying, raiding, invasion, etc.). Submarines need to surface for innocent passage.

While the A400 could be said to be loitering, it wasn't loitering over Irish territorial waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Thanks for both answers.

Didn't realise it was waters v airspace of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interestingly the position of the border in Lough Foyle is disputed - the UK claims sovereignty over the entire lough which could well include the shoreline below the high water mark on the Donegal side, which would obviously be ridiculous. There have been disputes over fishing rights in the past. So whether that purple line going out to sea is what both governments recognise is questionable.

Scrap the cap!

"Disputed" might be over-stating things. "Not agreed" might be more accurate. There is agreement on parts of the EEZ boundary, beyond the territorial waters.

they were prob at least 20 miles, if not further, from the Shannon FIR boundary. Airspace boundaries rarely have the granularity "sovereign territory" or nautical boundaries have….

Upper airspace over Donegal is actually delegated to Prestwick, so is technically UK airspace, over Ireland.

Fun fact… if it wasn't transmitting SSR, Ireland wouldn't know it was even there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

RAF even flagged the operation in advance:

https://www.facebook.com/RAFNorthernIreland

The aircraft is over Co. Tyrone at the moment as "LION 01".

"technically UK airspace" is gratuitous over-simplification. UK-operated airspace might be more accurate.

If you use the word "technically", you need to be technically correct.

had a feeling someone would bite :-D

From a technical perspective, it is UK airspace… it is programmed in as Prestwick airspace in the Irish and UK flight data processing systems…

So technically, it is….

From a sovereignty perspective, like I mentioned, it's delegated control.

• Advertisement

NATS doc if you fancy a read.

ENR 2.2 OTHER REGULATED AIRSPACE (ead-it.com)

Donegal Area - 

FL 245 - FL 660 — Class C Airspace.

In this part of the Shannon UIR, the United Kingdom (Scottish AC (Prestwick)) will provide Air Traffic Services to all aircraft between FL 245 and FL 660 (inclusive). Procedures and communications will be as if this airspace were an integral part of the Scottish UIR. This area is bounded by arcs of Great Circles joining in succession the following points:
    542500N 0081000W - 552000N 0065500W - 552500N 0072000W - 552000N 0081500W - 544500N 0090000W - 543858N 0093320W - 542500N 0081000W.

It's led to some interesting overflights until ADSB became more popular to the common folk.

Advertisement