Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sitting minding my own business and I hear a rumbling, though it was a truck roaring down the road but it went on for ages. Went out and looked up and there EIICD making straight for Shannon according to Flightradar24

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

After winning French Open last week, Polish tennis player Iga Świątek came back home flying from Paris to Warsaw (with stopover in Salzburg). No surprise how flight number looked like. ;)

IGA1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

3 large Air Force aircraft just North of Amsterdam in the North sea right now. RAF, USAF and NLAF and another appears to be joining them from Brize Norton. Beluga just south of Cardiff also.

its easy spot the interesting aircraft when the sky's are so clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Lately Aer Lingus have been repositioning aircraft to BHD . This afternoonEI992 DUB-BHD turned South of Dundalk and headed back to Dublin, never climbed above 4700ft so I assume it was an exercise ?

ein.jpg

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ei992#25cbf460

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Yep, planned - LRD was grounded for a few months awaiting a new sharklet. EI-DUO A330-200, will be doing similar in Shannon after 7pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI reuse the 99x flight numbers and flight radar gets confused

LRD is finally fixed, airframe vibration due a issue with a sharklet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

DUO is up as EI994

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭arbour

Virgin 787 just took off Dublin to LHR.. looks like it diverted yesterday from LAX to LHR. G-VOOH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

arbour wrote: »
    Virgin 787 just took off Dublin to LHR.. looks like it diverted yesterday from LAX to LHR. G-VOOH

These are scheduled cargo flights, it was only on the ground 90 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

An-124 on the way in to SNN.... from HHN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

hobie14 wrote: »
    An-124 on the way in to SNN.... from HHN

Just passed overhead here in Donegal now on the way to Reykjavik! Really distinctive noise made me immediately check flightradar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

arbour wrote: »

Been a regular now for 6 months or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

US Navy C130T Hercules just flew over Waterford about 10 mins ago CNV3285

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

US Navy C130 Hercules just flew over Waterford about 10 mins ago

Was just looking at that. Something flew south over Dublin about 20 mins ago and didn't show up on flightradar. It had a slow flashing white beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Was just looking at that. Something flew south over Dublin about 20 mins ago and didn't show up on flightradar. It had a slow flashing white beacon.

Some noise out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Why do F35's be identified on trackers. Is for safety in crowded air space that atc has to see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

sparrowcar wrote: »

ASL 747 maybe?? It showed up on flight radar as an A320 for some reason

An EC35 has been up for some while.

10353940-A5A0-4D2C-9A1A-5B89B12447A0.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

roadmaster wrote: »
    Why do F35's be identified on trackers. Is for safety in crowded air space that atc has to see them?

As in the F35 lightning stealth fighter?

If so, military aircraft rarely need to "hide" from civilian ATC. If they are "approved" to operate in the country they are in, IE if they are from that country's military, or an ally, then they can essentially do what they want. Military aircraft, or "operational air traffic" as they are known, may fly under rules known as "due regard". This means they are not obliged to talk to civilian ATC or follow any instructions, but would normally still squawk to let ATC know where they are out of courtesy. Under due regard, it is their responsibility to avoid civilian traffic and minimise any impact they will have on civilian traffic and ATC as much as they can.

These rules also apply in international airspace. Each country "owns" their airspace within 12 nautical miles of their coast, and any foreign military aircraft entering that 12nm buffer without the permission of that country's government would be in breach of international law. Control of international airspace beyond this 12 nautical miles is delegated by ICAO, which is a UN body. So for example, airspace up to about 300 nautical miles west of Ireland is controlled from Shannon. (300nm is about the limit that secondary radar can see an aircraft up at 30 whatever thousand feet, the lower the aircraft is flying, the closer it needs to be for radar to see it due curvature of the earth). Anything beyond this 300nm is "procedural" airspace, where time is used to separate aircraft rather than distance. Under radar, we must keep aircraft at least 5nm apart if at the same flight level. In procedural airspace, they used to be kept ten minutes apart, but there are reduced separations now used for aircraft equipped with a technology called ADSB, as there is now a network of satellites which can track aircraft using this technology. Eventually, it is envisaged that these airspaces beyond radar coverage will use ADSB to provide the same "surveillance" separations that are currently provided within airspace that have radar coverage.

So for example, when Russian Bears or Blackjacks fly 100 miles off the west coast of Ireland, they are in international airspace and are not doing anything illegal, but the RAF will send some Typhoons up to fly alongside them, and these Typhoons will squawk so we can see them, and by extension know where these Russian aircraft are and keep civilian aircraft away from them.

So in essence, military aircraft are under no obligation to let civilian ATC know they are there, but normally do out of courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Last night’s RIX-DUB stopped in Hamburg for a bit.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I notice the geological survey plane hasn't been showing up. It flew over my house the last two Sundays and again today. Perhaps other times, but I wasn't home. Didn't show up on FR any of those times. It was super low today. I'm rubbish at estimating distance, but low enough to see the pilot as it banked. Always happens too fast to snap a quick photo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

JohnC. wrote: »
    I notice the geological survey plane hasn't been showing up. It flew over my house the last two Sundays and again today. Perhaps other times, but I wasn't home. Didn't show up on FR any of those times. It was super low today. I'm rubbish at estimating distance, but low enough to see the pilot as it banked. Always happens too fast to snap a quick photo too.

Generally flies at 200 feet AGL during surveying in less built-up areas, usually way too low to be in line of sight of a FR24 receiver unless there’s one very close by.

https://www.gsi.ie/en-ie/programmes-and-projects/tellus/activities/airborne-survey/Pages/Airborne-Survey-FAQS.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Psychlops

An EC35 has been up for some while.

10353940-A5A0-4D2C-9A1A-5B89B12447A0.jpeg

Garda Air Support-GASU EC135, they have 2 of them & an Islander.

Antonov 124 on the way in to SNN ....DMM - SNN ... hope he is bringing some Sun with him ....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

hobie14 wrote: »
    Antonov 124 on the way in to SNN ....DMM - SNN ... hope he is bringing some Sun with him ....

Just about heard him on finals over the raging storm..!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Noxegon wrote: »
    Last night’s RIX-DUB stopped in Hamburg for a bit.

Presumably to lose some bags, if Air Baltic are still delivering their usual wonderful customer care!

Another 124 on the way in to SNN ... KBP - SNN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Couple of missed approaches right now incl the AF 777 due to wind sheer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Couple of missed approaches right now incl the AF 777 due to wind sheer.

Down safe now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

L1011 wrote: »
    Presumably to lose some bags, if Air Baltic are still delivering their usual wonderful customer care!

'twas Ryanair :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement