Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Registered as SLAM69. WTH?

The Yanks do love their macho callsigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

biblio wrote: »
    Would you know what time they will be departing Shannon ? I might go for a look

They usually depart 10 or 11am the morning after arrival but as always subject to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Tenger wrote: »
    The Yanks do love their macho callsigns.

SLAM69-Tactical Callsign.

C17 94-0068 C/S: SLAM69, Tactical Callsign, Pilot informed ATC he was a Longford Native, cleared down to 3,500 & took in the Cliffs of Moher & Galway Bay before headed for Longford & off to Casement AB Baldonnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Psychlops wrote: »
    C17 94-0068 C/S: SLAM69, Tactical Callsign, Pilot informed ATC he was a Longford Native, cleared down to 3,500 & took in the Cliffs of Moher & Galway Bay before headed for Longford & off to Casement AB Baldonnel.
    Only in this country... :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Esel wrote: »

Its fantastic, isn't it?

Love to see the lefties losing their shyt on social media over an aircraft of a close friend nation landing to refuel on a long mission.

Bunch of losers.

Its actually brilliant.

So this morning while most of us were at Work, a United States Air Force C17 Globemaster quietly worked her way low level through Irish Airspace taking in the Cliffs of Moher & Galway Bay before headed to Casement Air Base to visit the Irish Air Corps.

What made it special is the Pilot of the C17 is an Irishman himself, have a listen to this Audio between Shannon Air Traffic Control & USAF C17 on a Tactical Callsign of “SLAM69”.

Audio by Liveatc.net, it’s the very first recording in the link provided “SLAM69”.

Enjoy:
    https://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php

• Registered Users Posts: 35,065 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Don't think the airspace over that part of the country is too busy at the moment...

Ironic that we once put up EIRE signs all over the coast with location numbers so the USAAF could mark them on their maps. What would Clare fúckin' Daly make of that? :pac:

Hope he cleared it with his own superiors though.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Don't think the airspace over that part of the country is too busy at the moment...

Ironic that we once put up EIRE signs all over the coast with location numbers so the USAAF could mark them on their maps. What would Clare fúckin' Daly make of that? :pac:

Hope he cleared it with his own superiors though.

Surprised she didn't "woke them back" into the undergrowth seeing as they've such a sordid history...

I mean Mick Barry knows what's what...

https://www.newstalk.com/news/nazi-propaganda-poster-shouldnt-be-up-for-sale-at-irish-auction-td-says-1196964

---

It's so frustrating living in Islandbridge, cos I get to see nothing bar the odd ICG 'copter landing in the park.

When I lived in Lucan I had the pleasure of Weston and Baldonnell and whatever EIDW set my way.

• Advertisement

That’s class. And why not, hardly any traffic, he was heading to Baldonnel anyway.

I hope they managed to pick up a few slabs of cans while they were in Baldonnell.

I watched a video last summer. In May 2020 a guy in a private plane was heading back to New Jersey. As it was so quiet he requested and got low level approaches to EWR, LGA and JFK before turning for home.
    The ATC in each queried why he wanted it and he replied “I’m trying to visit all 3 airports in one flight”, one response from LGA was “airspace is clear, it’s all yours go as low as you want”

Edit; found it!
    https://youtu.be/LgppNdSEAag

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its fantastic, isn't it?

Love to see the lefties losing their shyt on social media over an aircraft of a close friend nation landing to refuel on a long mission.

Bunch of losers.

It's sad you can't accept there's a lot of people that don't want an aggressive military force using Ireland as a stopover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Effects wrote: »
    It's sad you can't accept there's a lot of people that don't want an aggressive military force using Ireland as a stopover.

Its sad that you don't want to allow an aircraft of one of our closest friends to refuel which they have been doing in Shannon since the 1950s its not a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its sad that you don't want to allow an aircraft of one of our closest friends to refuel which they have been doing in Shannon since the 1950s its not a new thing.

Some things never change.
    I remember a time ----pre coastguard when the RAF provided coastal SAR, if the chopper had to spend any time in SNN it have to Garda security , in case any of our "patriots" decided it was the enemy .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Storm 10 wrote: »

That's not what I said though. He shouldn't be attacking people who oppose US military using Ireland for a stopover/refueling point.

SLAM69-Tactical Callsign.

Just on this point. What's the difference?

Obviously the flight crew have their personal callsigns.
    C-17 flights usually use the "reach" callsigns (as could be heard in the LiveATC playback)

Was it given "SLAM69" for a specific reason?

Tenger wrote: »
    Just on this point. What's the difference?

Obviously the flight crew have their personal callsigns.
    C-17 flights usually use the "reach" callsigns (as could be heard in the LiveATC playback)

Was it given "SLAM69" for a specific reason?

No idea, a Twitter Handle person that monitors them said it was a Tactical Callsign as opposed to REACH. Maybe used for the Flight for Training.

Just had a google, REACH & Tactical Callsigns are both frequently used by the C17 fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Just had a google, REACH & Tactical Callsigns are both frequently used by the C17 fleet.

Generally find tactical callsigns get used when they go OAT (Operational air traffic) ie on task or on special air missions.

Reach callsigns are generally used when operating as GAT and following airways / IFR / essentially operating in a manner like conventional civil traffic, under USAF Airborne Mobility Command.

Airbus Beluga XL due SNN around 1030 for crosswind testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

BZ wrote: »

I can confirm that there is indeed wind in shannon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BZ wrote: »
    dashoonage wrote: »
    I can confirm that there is indeed wind in shannon today.
    They picked their day for it!

https://www.flightradar24.com/AIB13XL/27c4d7d5

Here she comes... wont get out to see it but hopefully might catch a look at her in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

https://www.flightradar24.com/AIB13XL/27c4d7d5

Here she comes... wont get out to see it but hopefully might catch a look at her in the air.

Haven't seen it before ... $$$ it is ugly ...doing circuits and passing over me at 2000 ft

hobie14 wrote: »
    Haven't seen it before ... $$$ it is ugly ...doing circuits and passing over me at 2000 ft

Hasnt circled out my way yet. IL62 and a Beluga in the air at the moment around shannon...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Hasnt circled out my way yet. IL62 and a Beluga in the air at the moment around shannon...

oops .... It's the Beluga I'm seeing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

hobie14 wrote: »
    oops .... It's the Beluga I'm seeing ...

Nothing ugly about the IL62, fabulous looking machine.

As for the C-17, it’s probably dropping stuff off for the Formidable Shield exercise currently ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

US Navy C-130 passed over a few minutes ago, loudly. Going from Cardiff to...somewhere.

wNblAKn.jpg

Rada IL62 due back into SNN at 1745 or so this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Another USAF B757 in Shannon late last night. Do Shannon only get landing fees etc or is there a ''Sweetner'' $$ in this stopover/refuelllng deal ? :rolleyes:

Advertisement