Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

HTCOne wrote: »
    Nothing ugly about the IL62, fabulous looking machine.

As for the C-17, it’s probably dropping stuff off for the Formidable Shield exercise currently ongoing.

Agree on the IL62 ... seen it coming in a few times recently

• Registered Users Posts: 35,065 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ish66 wrote: »
    Another USAF B757 in Shannon late last night. Do Shannon only get landing fees etc or is there a ''Sweetner'' $$ in this stopover/refuelllng deal ? :rolleyes:

You must be too young to remember when the Soviets were over there every week.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Whats Virgin Atlantic flying in for there?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whats Virgin Atlantic flying in for there?
    Two weekly cargo flight from LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

I've seen pics online about the tail prop that the Il-62 has. Ingenious way to solve a problem!

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452573

From the aviation.stackexchange website.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/18884/what-was-the-purpose-of-the-tail-prop-on-the-ilyushin-il-62-and-why-was-it-nec
    I found an Aircraft Operations Manual for IL-62 and IL-62 M of former GDR carrier Interflug (in German language):

http://www.interflug.biz/IL-62%20Flugbetriebsdokumentationen.htm
    http://www.interflug.biz/Flugzeuge/IL-62/Handbuecher/FZH_Il62.pdf
    According to this manual, the "tail prop" supports several functions.

Supporting parked airplane while centre of gravity isn't controlled: The manual requires to extend the tail prop when parking, before opening any door. Tail prop shall be retracted only after closing all doors and only when centre of gravity is within limits (4.2.5. No. 2., tab. 4.2.5./1).
    Taxi with extended tail prop is allowed, speed limit is 25 km/h. (4.2.2. No. 1)
    When towing an empty plane the tail prop must be extended, speed limit is 15 km/h. (4.2.2. No. 2)
    Moving the plane backward by utilizing reverse thrust: Tail prop must be extended, speed limit is "walking pace". (4.2.2. No. 4)
    U-turn on a narrow runway (min. 45 m) by utilizing reverse thrust: Tail prop must be partly extended. (4.2.2. No. 5, fig. 4.2.2./2)
    The tail prop features two self-steering wheels and a suspension system. No brakes, no active steering. It is extended and retracted by an electric motor, backed by a hand crank. (4.1.8. No. 1.3, fig. 4.1.8./5)

Probably, the tail prop is also designed to provide some protection in case of a tail strike (since it's wheels partly remain outside fuselage), but this function isn't mentioned in the manual.

Btw., this plane features a 3700 ℓ water tank (just behind the front landing gear bay), for adjusting centre of gravity in some low-load situations. (4.1.24., 4.3.2. No. 2.5, fig. 4.1.2/2 item 5)

You must be too young to remember when the Soviets were over there every week.

Aeroflot had a base in SNN when I was growing up. There was even a "Russian Village" set up for all of the based personnel. The rumour at the time was that they paid for everything by supplying fuel as hard currency was had to come by. Many of the US aircraft were getting fuel from their dastardly Cold War rivals:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Aeroflot had a base in SNN when I was growing up. There was even a "Russian Village" set up for all of the based personnel. The rumour at the time was that they paid for everything by supplying fuel as hard currency was had to come by. Many of the US aircraft were getting fuel from their dastardly Cold War rivals:pac:

That wasn't a rumour. It was fact and fully public at the time. The resultant level of scheduled Aeroflot transit traffic (and various ad hoc Eastern Bloc flights as well) provided much-needed business at a time when Shannon's other year-round transit traffic (other than by private aircraft) had virtually disappeared. https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=24101413%40N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=aeroflot%20shannon&view_all=1

5598713703_4e4a16481b_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Qatar A330 just landed in Knock, anyone know what that's about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Qatar A330 just landed in Knock, anyone know what that's about?

Another one in for scrapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Growler!!! wrote: »
    If that number of crashes concerns you don't look at this well known aircraft:D

[...]

Of 292 ever built Il-62s there were 12 fatal crashes killing 1141 people in total.

While 10.681 built 737s crashes cost 5585 fatalities.

Certainly not the best way of making stats, but 36.6 times bigger amount of planes ended up in ~5x more deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lads a query more so than anything. The rescue coast guard helicopters regularly pass my place. Some times they are on flight radar and other times they are. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

SeaFields wrote: »
    Lads a query more so than anything. The rescue coast guard helicopters regularly pass my place. Some times they are on flight radar and other times they are. Any ideas?

At a guess it is dependent on altitude level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

yrreg0850 wrote: »
    At a guess it is dependent on altitude level.

This is how it works.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Did anyone get a notification on flightradar about a Ryanair forcibly diverted? Thought I spotted the notification earlier but had cleared it before reading it fully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

I think they squawked 7700 and you can setup alerts for that. Almost back on the ground now too https://www.flightradar24.com/RYR497/27ce1282

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Did anyone get a notification on flightradar about a Ryanair forcibly diverted? Thought I spotted the notification earlier but had cleared it before reading it fully

Yes, got a 7700 notification

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

AN124 due into SNN at 1730 this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Did anyone catch what the US secretary of state and National Security Advisor flew in and out of Shannon on yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Did anyone catch what the US secretary of state and National Security Advisor flew in and out of Shannon on yesterday?

This, I guess

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    SAM556, reg 99-0003 was most likely. Ties up with the times of Coveney's tweeting, and flew to TLV where Blinken was planning to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes that would be correct.

The Boeing 737 was carrying the US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan back to Washington from a meeting in Geneva.

He also met Simon Coveney at Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

AF 777-ER F-GZNK into SNN now? Maintenance? Painting?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

vicwatson wrote: »
    AF 777-ER F-GZNK into SNN now? Maintenance? Painting?

Painting. Has been a few in and out the past month or two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Knew I heard something unusual going overhead, De Havilland Devon C2 from Coventry to Weston (presumably).

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=402106

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Knew I heard something unusual going overhead, De Havilland Devon C2 from Coventry to Weston (presumably).

Remember that type being shown on The Crown on Netflix, if I'm not mistaken Prince Philip used to take Charles flying in it.

Tabnabs wrote: »

I handled the Dove in SNN a number of years ago. Great piece of history, the inverted Gypsy engines would leak oil and needed drip trays placed under each engine to collect it. The flaps and gear are pneumatic and would lose air pressure, meaning the flaps would move themselves into the down position over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭HorseSea

Three planes in very close formation just flew over Ranelagh very low and very noisy. It's cloudy and I assume visibility is poor, hardly normal conditions for training surely??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

HorseSea wrote: »
    Three planes in very close formation just flew over Ranelagh very low and very noisy. It's cloudy and I assume visibility is poor, hardly normal conditions for training surely??

When you posted, Dublin was reporting visibility of greater than 10km, with a ceiling of broken cloud at 2500ft. Baldonnell had the ceiling a bit lower at 1600ft, but also loads of horizontal visibility.
    EIDW 281330Z 14009KT 9999 -RA FEW005 SCT010 BKN025 13/11 Q1022 NOSIG
    EIME 281330Z 12007KT 9999 FEW010 BKN016 13/12 Q1021

Advertisement