Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

Was just perusing FR24 and heading to Tel Aviv right now in the Med are military jets form the Brazilian, Dutch and Canadian air forces. Not fighter jets, people carriers. So its either troop movements or evacuating. Wouldn't have there would be that many citizens of those countries there?

Post edited by test account 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, it's a real procession along that corridor into Turkey. I suppose it's a caution against the Israeli/Palestine conflict spilling over to an event such as with Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 in 2014.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Less to do with the number of civilians and more to do with the appropriate aircraft for the mission. Each of those nations will sent in a C-130 if thats what they have , whether its 10 civilians or 100. No point sending a small aircraft for 16 people if it doesnt have the fuel to get in and out easily.

EG, Mexico sent 3x military B737s over vis Shannon. Obviously they have the range to stage into Tel Aviv (they operated Tel Avivi to Turkey, then to Shannon)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Israeli 707 flew over Gaza a short time ago..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Two new Ryanairs incoming

• Advertisement

Why are some USA military aircraft allowed into Irish airspace ( refuel in shannon etc,) ,

but other divert outside/around it?

(only a slight diversion, but others , especially around Nth Ireland divert well out ot the 'way' ...)

Is there a rule/law about it?

(2 aircraft this morning for example above)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

High level rule:

"Requests for permission for foreign military aircraft to land in or overfly Ireland are routinely required to include confirmation that the aircraft meets specific criteria – namely, that the aircraft is unarmed; that it carries no arms, ammunition or explosives; and that it will not engage in intelligence gathering"

Foreign Military Aircraft Overflights and Landings Statistics - Department of Foreign Affairs (dfa.ie)

In saying that though, 5 special OPS group C-130's flew over during the week from US to Mildenhall... I highly doubt none of them had arms or munitions on board. But, who checks?

There's been B-52's over ROI this year transiting back to the US.

Just had a read over the above, and it also mentions "Furthermore, applications must also specify that the flights do not form part of a military exercise or operation." ... which is interesting, as American P-8's routinely transit Irish airspace en-route to Atlantic patrols.

There is also a NATO nuclear exercise happening today and tomorrow involving B-52's flying to Europe. 2 tankers have been tactically deployed to Mildenhall, will be interesting to see if any of those hit Irish airspace while on this exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I've noted USN P-8s overflying Ireland, usually from Sigonella to Keflavik or Lossiemouth. What the nature of their en route activities is is probably not disclosed but it's unlikely they are carrying live weapons.

As ever, it's important to distinguish between flying through the large area controlled by Irish ATC and sovereign airspace, which only extends to 12 miles from land. If ADSB tracking is accurate, some military aircraft seem to "clip the corner" around north Donegal but maybe there's an ATC arrangement that covers this.

Their Tac Hexes have told a few stories, even if people want to maintain the "sure we didn't know" persona.

Doubt they have weapons either, but that's not what the rules say.

I just wish Ireland would quit the act and let all mil aircraft through, instead of the "whoopsies ... they didn't specify which C-130 it was, we didn't know they had guns" approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Wondering what this activity is here:

Appears to be an oil rig company (NSV Belgium) performing transfers out to the Dragon gas field?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

Plane over Turkiye doing a 100.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

That B737, I've seen that land in Baldonnel. In the last 2 years. Although its a military designation its just a passenger jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭tom_k

Swedish C-130 heading for DUB at the moment. Cloud cover meant I couldn't see it but checked it as it sounded unusual.

To overnight at Dublin then on to Sweden tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Jet2 737 NCL - TFS just gone overhead Cork having turned back about 100km south of Kerry. Dropped to 8000ft and staying there..... cabin pressure loss maybe?

Edit: on approach to Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 natexornate

I was listening on LiveATC and they said it was a passenger medical emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

There is Candian Husky flying around france, UK and in to shannon the last couple of days. I presume they are just shake down flights before delivery?

Why Nasa?

and another Icelandair bringing Norwegians to Antarctica.

• Advertisement

Serious activity from this C130 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Does anyone know what plane was flying over East Clare in the last 30 minutes? Looked quite low and 4 props, Dark green grey colour. Is the A400M back ? Couldn't see anything on Flight Radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I saw this too in Limerick city and came here as I couldn't find it on Flight Radar. I don't know anything about military aircraft but it looked similar to the one you mentioned.

Germany

ADSB Exchange is a better bet than FR24 for military traffic.

Virgin Galactic Space Launch to occur soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OSVgwpuEQI

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well of course they do. There's a lot of "open source intelligence" around if you know where to look.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone awake and seeing about 7 transatlantic DUB bound planes holding over Leitrim? Is the runway not open yet or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

They must have had lovely winds blowing them across the Atlantic

Advertisement