Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden tools - Felco, Fiskars etc - worth it?

Options
  • 09-05-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Looking to buy some loppers, pruning shears etc and doing some research have found most people recommend the likes of Felco & Fiskars garden tools as a 'buy it for life' type thing.

I'm generally of the opinion I'd rather spend the money now and buy something that will last as opposed to replacing every few years which I see a lot of people doing.

What garden tools did you buy and what was worth the money?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My loppers are Fiskars. Funny enough, I broke my last set but that was definitely my fault, I overloaded them. But bought the same set again in a heartbeat, the last pair had been through a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Felco 100% worth it btw Amazon seem to be the cheapest place to get them. The only secateurs to use and the loppers are expensive but if you don't have to think too much about the price they are worth it.

Friskars 50% some great gear but they also sell far too much overpriced plastic crap now that you have to be careful of what you buy 20 years ago I'd be 100% for their stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they started selling small fiskars hand tools in lidl recently, which is not a good sign.

they started selling small fiskars hand tools in lidl recently, which is not a good sign.

A lot of the retractable saws ended up 30% off in my local store. If they are still there next week I might get one but at nearly ten quid after the discount I can't see they are any better than Lidls own folding saw at 4 four quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I don't own any Fiskars so can't comment.

But I have Felco 5 secateurs and its well worth it. I used to buy cheap secateurs from the Woodies, Aldi etc but the difference in quality is miles apart.

You constantly get that satisfying 'schnick' every time you cut. Decent selection here and reasonably priced: https://www.thegardenshop.ie/tools/cutting/secateurs/

• Advertisement

we have two pairs of true temper secateurs (and the reason we have them is not that we bought them, but that we were sent them after a true temper garden fork broke), and they're motoring away happily 5 or 6 years later. maybe once a year i disassemble them for a clean and sharpening.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Felco-FEL7-Model-Classic-Secateurs/dp/B0001IOYYE/ don't think you'll find them cheaper anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Check out amazon.de for felco stuff. It was considerably cheaper when I got some last year

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Check out amazon.de for felco stuff. It was considerably cheaper when I got some last year

Good price https://www.amazon.de/Felco-Obstbau-Gartenschere-Nr-7/dp/B0001IOYYE depening on how much it costs for delivery.

btw while the no 7 is probably the top of the range professional product but because of the roll handles is for right handers only. Left handers need the 9,10,16 or 17 (there may be other left handed ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Good price https://www.amazon.de/Felco-Obstbau-Gartenschere-Nr-7/dp/B0001IOYYE depening on how much it costs for delivery.

btw while the no 7 is probably the top of the range professional product but because of the roll handles is for right handers only. Left handers need the 9,10,16 or 17 (there may be other left handed ones).

Pretty sure I have the no 8. Can’t fault it

• Advertisement

Holy Diver wrote: »
    Pretty sure I have the no 8. Can’t fault it

Just on prices in recent years I recommend the No.7 because its the pro model and is cheaper even with its roll handle feature than some of the others.

I still have a 40 year old pair of the original No 2 secateurs (and a few others but my No 7's are in a compost heap somewhere :mad:). Put a new blade on the the No. 2's this year and cleaned up (reflatened) the anvil on a diamond stone and they cut as good a new.

Edit> Felco secateurs always make good presents for any keen gardeners you know

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Felco for secateurs, Wolf for loppers, Gardena for pole loppers. For general tools like hoes, rakes etc use Wolf Garten interchangeable. Go for the longest handle - saves your back. The push pull weeder is incredibly useful.

https://wolfgarten-tools.co.uk/products/ranges/multi-change-tools

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

I have some brilliant Fiskars axes, razor sharp and have gotten some fairly heavy use. However, we bought one of their weed pulling tools and it broke within 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have some brilliant Fiskars axes, razor sharp and have gotten some fairly heavy use. However, we bought one of their weed pulling tools and it broke within 2 years.

I don't recommend Fiskars. I have a Fiskars short pole lopper, which I love but it's broken twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Discodog wrote: »
    Felco for secateurs, Wolf for loppers, Gardena for pole loppers. For general tools like hoes, rakes etc use Wolf Garten interchangeable. Go for the longest handle - saves your back. The push pull weeder is incredibly useful.

Thanks Discodog for recommending the Wolf Garten tools - my push pull weeder (150mm) arrived yesterday and it works beautifully. Thought i would buy the proper handle next time i get an attachment, so meanwhile i made up a temporary one to get me going.
    20200522_085514.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've lost so many pruners over the years I'm afraid to spend big. I just cant thrust myself with an expensive pair.

I've lost so many pruners over the years I'm afraid to spend big. I just cant thrust myself with an expensive pair.

I've had Felco secateurs spend 6 months in the compost heap and survive.

My only fear is feeding them through my wood chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

On the subject of garden tools can anyone recommend a push mower for a small garden? No need for electric/ petrol thanks.

i have a bog standard qualcast that's doing the job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Perfect. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Great thing with felco is they resharpen easily . This is a must for me. Also you can get spare parts if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Discodog wrote: »

Ive a few wolf Garten tools this year., superb quality. I see they do secateurs as well.

Advertisement