Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging

Options
  • 09-05-2020 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Are there many typres of hedging that are available to plant this time of year?
    We have 80m of a boundary to enclose.

I was thinking about using beech but it wont be available until november-march according to the garden centre I spoke to.

Portuguese laurel was one option, potted ones are €2.50 each and he reckons I'll need 160. Does anyone have this and what are the pros and cons?

I'll have a digger doing work next week and he's going to dig the trench,
    Plan B is to dig the trench and wait till November until more hedging is available.

My next question:

The 2 more boundary sides have ditches which consist of briars and weeds and the odd tree like you'd see on most boureens.
    Is there anything hardy we can plant among this to fill some gaps and that'll be a bit colourful. I'm thinking of clearing a small few briars but still want to keep a bit of privacy.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep, I got potted beech in a place in the Midlands in June or July last year. They also had hornbeam in troughs, but at quite a premium. They mainly deal with trade, but were happy to sell to me even though I just bought 30 plants.

https://www.kellysnursery.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Yep, I got potted beech in a place in the Midlands in June or July last year. They also had hornbeam in troughs, but at quite a premium. They mainly deal with trade, but were happy to sell to me even though I just bought 30 plants.

https://www.kellysnursery.ie/

Cheers, did you have any idea of the price? potted works out fairly expensive for what I want unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think it was only 4 quid each for the beech, maybe €4.50. They certainly weren't large, 18 to 24 inches generally. I suspect they may have been unsold bare root which was potted up. I needed 24 so bought 28 in case any failed. Only one has so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just rang, potted beach is 5.50, i need 2.40 and they'll do that much at 5 each, so 1200 :eek::eek:

Bare root 2-3ft tall beach can be got for €80-100 per 100. I think ill have to wait till October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Beech is a lovely hedge but it takes a long time to grow and fill in.My parents sowed portugese laurel from pots and within 4 years they had an 8/10 ft dense fairly uniform hedge.Neighbours on the top of the lane have a copper beech hedge for over 10 years and its still a fairly poor hedge.If your looking for quick growing and some privacy its hard to beet laurel.Land my parents hedge was grown was fairly boggy and lacking nitrogen,but it grew fine.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Just rang, potted beach is 5.50, i need 2.40 and they'll do that much at 5 each, so 1200 :eek::eek:

Bare root 2-3ft tall beach can be got for €80-100 per 100. I think ill have to wait till October/November.
    Yeah, when I saw you needed 80m I figured it wasn't going to be cheap.

Advertisement