Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Exam Papers

Options
  • 09-05-2020 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,

I know it’s probably a little early for this question, with some still letting the news digest etc but do you think we’ll get to see the exam papers that should have been once people sit the LC if they so decide? And also, for JC and Junior Cycle papers, will they publish those papers? As a language teacher I would love to see what would have been our first Junior Cycle paper - it would be great to have another “sample/real paper to work off going forward”. What would be all your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The SEC have already paid people to draft/set them, so I would think they would want to use them (for real) at some stage, or at least those that they can.

The subjects that are due to go to a common level from next year, (such as JC History) are effectively useless now, so they might issue them. Likewise the subjects for which 2020 was to be the last exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

spurious wrote: »
    The SEC have already paid people to draft/set them, so I would think they would want to use them (for real) at some stage, or at least those that they can.

The subjects that are due to go to a common level from next year, (such as JC History) are effectively useless now, so they might issue them. Likewise the subjects for which 2020 was to be the last exam.

I’d personally love to see the final ever Junior Cert History paper. Sad to see that course go! Do you mean use for real as in use for a future state exam? I’d hope not!! I do love June when you see what comes up... but it’s a small thing in the bigger scheme of things really. I’d have thought they’d be more afraid of leaks of the papers if they were to hold them over for a year but I guess they could use material from the already set papers going forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

LW2018 wrote: »
    Hi,

I know it’s probably a little early for this question, with some still letting the news digest etc but do you think we’ll get to see the exam papers that should have been once people sit the LC if they so decide? And also, for JC and Junior Cycle papers, will they publish those papers? As a language teacher I would love to see what would have been our first Junior Cycle paper - it would be great to have another “sample/real paper to work off going forward”. What would be all your thoughts on this?

The 2020 LC papers will be used by those students wishing to sit them (i.e. those unsatisfied with their calculated grades) later in 2020 or early in 2021. I would expect them to be be released as they are used, like in any year.

Similarly with the 2020 JC papers. These will be sat by small numbers (e.g. adults returning to education, prison students etc.) later in the year, so cannot be released before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Similarly with the 2020 JC papers. These will be sat by small numbers (e.g. adults returning to education, prison students etc.) later in the year, so cannot be released before then.
    Is that going to happen? I hadn't heard that.

I was assuming we'd get our hands on the leaving cert papers at some stage myself, but I was only hoping for the junior cert/cycle exams, given that some of them could be used next year (including the one I actually wanted).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

RealJohn wrote: »
    Is that going to happen? I hadn't heard that.

I was assuming we'd get our hands on the leaving cert papers at some stage myself, but I was only hoping for the junior cert/cycle exams, given that some of them could be used next year (including the one I actually wanted).

From DES press release of April 29:

The State Examinations Commission is also being asked to put in place specific arrangements for adult learners to give them an opportunity to take final Junior Cycle examinations for which they are entered in autumn 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From DES press release of April 29:

The State Examinations Commission is also being asked to put in place specific arrangements for adult learners to give them an opportunity to take final Junior Cycle examinations for which they are entered in autumn 2020.

There are a number of other 'non-standard' groups should be allowed take their JC too, if they are allowing adult learners. I must contact a couple of people to see can they lobby to get their groups included with the adults.

Advertisement