Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn seed - difference between Number 2 & Deluxe?

Options
  • 09-05-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Planning to scarify and reseed my garden as there is a lot of thatch & moss. I want to buy lawn seed from seed direct, can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

No 2 lawn seed:

- 45% Creeping Red Fescue
    - 50% Dwarf Ryegrass
    - 5% Chewings Fescue

Deluxe No 2 lawn seed

- 40% Slender Creeping Red Fescue
    - 45% Dwarf Ryegrass
    - 10% Chewings Fescue
    - 5% Highland Browntop Bentgrass

No kids, it will be walked on but not trampled on (I hope). Roughly 250sqm.

Additionally, am I too late to scarify + reseed?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Naos wrote: »
    Additionally, am I too late to scarify + reseed?

Probably ok. We had a dead patch under a large trampoline which we scarified, added some compost from the composter and reseeded and the new grass is doing well. Watered after seeding and every couple of days since in the evening given how dry its been. Probably worth raking the seed in as the birds will meticulously go through anything on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

smacl wrote: »
    Probably ok. We had a dead patch under a large trampoline which we scarified, added some compost from the composter and reseeded and the new grass is doing well. Watered after seeding and every couple of days since in the evening given how dry its been. Probably worth raking the seed in as the birds will meticulously go through anything on the surface.

Thanks Smacl - concerned I may be pushing it. Still need to buy the seed (any real difference between the two above?) and also fit an external tap so I can water them, realistically won't get both of those done for 1-2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Naos wrote: »
    Thanks Smacl - concerned I may be pushing it. Still need to buy the seed (any real difference between the two above?) and also fit an external tap so I can water them, realistically won't get both of those done for 1-2 weeks.

If you're having a problem with moss I would buy number 3 seed instead. Bents and Fescues need optimum growing conditions whereas no.3 is mostly ryegrass.

If you're having a problem with moss I would buy number 3 seed instead. Bents and Fescues need optimum growing conditions whereas no.3 is mostly ryegrass.

Well I've only recently moved in and there's a tonne of moss & thatch, could be because no one has removed it before.

Think I'll take the risk on the number 2 for now - if it doesn't work out well, there's always next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Be interested in hearing about the seeds also. Hoping to overseed

• Advertisement

Pious14 wrote: »
    Be interested in hearing about the seeds also. Hoping to overseed

Just ordered the Deluxe Number 2 - few euro extra but why not. Will let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Might send on a few pics when it grows just to get a look

Pious14 wrote: »
    Might send on a few pics when it grows just to get a look

Will do.

Some speed in the delivery from Seed direct.. ordered yesterday at around half one & it arrived this morning! Here's hoping it's quality seed...

Advertisement