Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUBI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Is drive my car on their 30 day thing or the more permeant library? want to watch it but tight on time for the next month.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

They have moved away from the 30 day limit for a lot of films since the pandemic kicked off e.g. Lamb is still on there after 30 days (it went up on 25th Feb). Can't say for certain but I reckon you should be alright.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah, I can't guarantee it but Petite Maman was added back in February and it's still up. I do still sometimes stumble across something with a warning that there's only so many days left to watch it, but it seems to be a rare occurrence these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lamb and Petite Maman are both Mubi releases (ie they were the direct distributor), so they have extended rights for screening it. Their own releases tend to remain available permanently (or at least until the rights expire).

Drive My Car isn't a Mubi release, so hard to say whether it'll stick around beyond the 30-day mark. Some films do, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

I didn’t realise Drive my Car was 3 hours long. Not that it matters a huge amount but I need to prepare my evening these days :)

i watched this instead

I really liked BSS so gave it a shot. It’s very good. Super weird but really absorbing and funny in places too. I have been watching Severance on AppleTV and some scenes/themes seem to mirror each other which was a nice coincidence.

I will watch his other one on MUBI and it seems he has another movie coming out this year too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,292 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I watched Drive My Car on Friday night, the runtime nearly put me off but for such quiet calm, slow paced film the three hours actually flew by.

Watched Dogtooth for the first time last night. Quite the film! So strange…

Also watched Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy. Lovely film. I think the last story was my favourite. The dialogue was really engaging some lovely parts all the way through

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Hmmm...mubi is 4€ for 4 months for new customers.

• Advertisement

Signed up to MUBI with the deal there new interface is a bit hard to manage in terms of seeing whats actually available. At least I'll be able to watch drive my car anyways.

Watched Drive My Car, never read any Murakami novels but it was a nice way to spend 3 hours in front of the TV being melancholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Liked Drive my car.

But love the soundtrack.

Her other work is good too.

https://youtu.be/8hm4wi5hZWA

Watched it last night too. It's fantastic. I loved the dinner table scene. Cinematography was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Watched Oslo, August 31st on it.

Stunning film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don’t sleep on the other Hamaguchi films on there at the moment! Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy is as good as Drive My Car IMO, although obviously quite different as it’s an anthology film. Still has that particular alchemy though - a calm mysterious sort of storytelling punctuated by understated moments of revelation.

The superb Korean film Burning from a few years ago is an equally brilliant Murakami adaptation.

And on Japanese cinema, Takeshi Kitano’s all-time classic Hana-Bi has been added this week (possibly again - feels like it has been there before). There’s never been a gangster film quite like it - and by that I mean don’t really expect a gangster film at all 😅

I really liked Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy. Hamaguchi certainly has a way with words. Really pulls you in.

I must watch The Worst Person in The World soon...

I will also try to watch The Souvenir movies.

I'm bad at watching movies outside of the cinema but I'll give Fireworks/Hana-Bi a go. It does look interesting.

Oh yeah absolutely should clarify Hana-Bi is listed as Fireworks on Mubi. Which is strange, as it has always been released on DVD / Blu-Ray etc... as Hana-Bi rather than an English translation.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,292 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not going to lie, when I saw that was film of the day the other day my first thought was "Oh I hope they add Hana-Bi too" 😃

• Advertisement

Benedetta getting added this weekend apparently.

The second superb Nick Cave documentary / performance film from Andrew Dominik - This Much I Know To Be True is up now.

A gorgeous film that was a breathtaking light show when I saw it in the cinema. I’d recommend closing the curtains, turning off the light and just soaking it in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is the original one up there too?

It is not unfortunately, but it’s pretty widely available on the usual VOD platforms. It’s One More Time With Feeling if you’re looking for it - also magnificent, but you could likely watch them in either order really.

Some good additions recently...

Audrey Diwan's Happening stars a superb Anamaria Vartolomei as a young woman looking for an abortion in 1960s France, when it was still illegal. Difficult to watch at times, but honest and compassionate filmmaking with a clear sense of perspective. Obviously of particular relevance in Ireland given our own history with abortion laws, but freshly relevant given the grim events in the US (and there is of course the brilliant Never Rarely Sometimes Always on Netflix is a more contemporary take from a US perspective).

Also liked Aloners, the debut feature from Hong Sung-eun. A story about urban isolation and loneliness that feels particularly raw post-lockdown. There are some brilliant women filmmakers emerging from South Korea in recent years that wouldn't have gotten much of a release without Mubi. On that note: well worth checking out the lovely The Recorder Exam, a short film from Bora Kim (who went on to make the excellent feature House of Hummingbird a few years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I love MUBI, subscribed earlier this year and it was well worth the c.70 euro for the annual sub.

Some films I’ve watched and enjoyed:

Benedetta

The General (yes that one, hadn’t seen it before)

Showgirls

The Souvenir Parts I and II (much less irritating than I feared it would be)

The Worst Person in the World

Lift to the Scaffold

First Cow

Songs My Brothers Taught Me

Drive My Car

I Like Life A Lot

Lamb

Dogtooth (saw it when it came out on DVD, it still stands up. I watched Severance recently and it reminded me of this)

Tripping with Nils Frahm

Censor

Junior (short by Julia Ducournau)

Toni Erdmann

Rocky Road to Dublin

Titane

Overall Toni Erdmann was probably the best of the above, and is still available to watch although its nearly 3 hours. On the negative side, I was totally nonplussed by Bacurau, which gets very good reviews

Got an email that the price is increasing from 9.99 to 11.99

All these subscription price increases are frustrating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I recently switched from monthly to yearly, made more sense for me, as I had been paying €10 per month, but only €70 odd for the year. Probably watch 4-5 movies per month on average I'd say.

One more time with Feeling is up on Mubi now too for anyone interested.

• Advertisement

Advertisement