Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Rohan

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

L1011 wrote: »
    If you think he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting the passing rent from someone else when the unit is:

a: protected up the wazoo, exterior and interior
    b: has a specific zoning restriction to cafe use only that can only be varied by the city council; who hate him

You really don't know what current retail rents are

It'll either lie empty or he'll cave in and give them a massive rent cut to get some money from it. Nobody else is going to pay for it.

Bewleys are willing to take a certain amount of loss on it as marketing for their retail products.

Yeah I did wonder about this. I think I heard 30k a week rent. What's the plan there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

What’s the Indo such interest in him?? Has he shares in it? He’ On page 2 and 3 of it today and an exclusive interview tomorrow in the Sunday Indo

Hes very friendly with the Indo's owner Denis O Brien , all these billionaires network a lot on how to get richer at cost of their employees or tenants and how to source their profits through foreign countries to avoid paying any tax in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

<redacted> doesnt own INM anymore, Mediahuis do, for almost a year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

salmocab wrote: »
    Wasn’t this ‘saved’ a few years back?
    I don’t understand the nonsense been talked about. People obviously weren’t bothered enough about the place to spend their money there. It shouldn’t be kept open because people say meaningless things like old Dublin institution.

same goes for Clery's - when it closed, people were calling Joe Duffy saying that they hadn't been there in years and wasn't it awful that it was closing...

I don’t know the precise financial details of the company (does anyone here know?) that have brought them to this situation and I don’t also know to what degree JR had the power to prevent this from happening (rent is only one cost to a business, no matter how high that rent is) but I do know that the restaurant itself in its most recent metamorphosis was a far cry and a severe disappointment from what it was back in the 70s and 80s, which was a place for normal shoppers, after-debs breakfasts, a friends meeting house, that served nice coffee and sticky buns. It was one of the few coffee houses Ireland had- and we all loved it.

The Bewleys of March 2020 was not an inviting place at all.

Are posters here lamenting the loss of a that recent business or are they simply fearful that the building we’ve known as Bewleys for so long, could be turned into a Burger King or McDonalds?

I’d be hopeful Bewleys as a building could remain but what business occupies it, especially over the next 2 years while hopefully Covid19’s impact begins to subside, remains to be seen.

I don’t care much for Jonny Ronan but there’s a lot of uninformed bile directed his way on social media right now from mob sheep that I don’t believe is justified.

• Advertisement

The Sunday Independent has a big article saying how great Johny Rohan is by lapdog Brendan O Connor today .
    Support the super rich agenda buy the Sunday Independent !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The Sunday Independent has a big article saying how great Johny Rohan is by lapdog Brendan O Connor today .

This ****e sickens me.

Indo spreads of the past with Johnny Rohan, John Delaney, Gerald Keane, Flatleys ex-missus lapping them up as celebrities to aspire too.

Barry Egan the main culprit. Honestly do not know how writing them fawning articles he can call himself a journalist. His sole role seems to be to massage egos and keep these narcissists in the limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Jizique

He was busy defending him on his radio show as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If the Indo is friends with someone you know they are not the type for you to be a friend to.

Rohan looks like a second rate "dies in the third reel" character in one of those Costa gangster flicks that used to be the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Hmmm, mangers of Bewley’s were going broke COVID 19 pushed them over the edge, tried for a rent pause from holding group own by Johnny Rohan didn't get anywhere, tried a different tactic put pressure on the property group via negative stories in the media about Johnny Rohan, did they use a PR company?

Pushy back by Johnny Rohan via an interview in the independent.

Bewley's should have stuck it out after all who is going to rent it at the moment, the value of the retail property will drop substantially anyway after the pandemic. The holding company could have sued for the rent but Nemo dat quod non habet,
    They should have all been a bit more pragmatic.

As for the man himself, from a wealthy background and made himself more wealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is his name not Ronan? Johnny Ronan.

What is with this calling him Rohan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

amdublin wrote: »
    Is his name not Ronan? Johnny Ronan.

What is with this calling him Rohan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Ronan

You are correct.

Jizique wrote: »
    He was busy defending him on his radio show as well

All of these super rich and media heads seem to be trying to hoodwink the nation .

What will be in next weeks Sunday Independent? ... a 16 page pull out on Larry Goodman congratulating him on reaching a net worth of 5 Billion Euros ??

Still though, Hold me now was a good song..

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This ****e sickens me.

Indo spreads of the past with Johnny Rohan, John Delaney, Gerald Keane, Flatleys ex-missus lapping them up as celebrities to aspire too.

Barry Egan the main culprit. Honestly do not know how writing them fawning articles he can call himself a journalist. His sole role seems to be to massage egos and keep these narcissists in the limelight.

I stopped reading the Sunday Indo (and the regular Indo) about 5 years ago.
    I just got totally sick of that "Living"section and Barry Egan fawning over the likes of Lisa (who used to go out with Michael Flatley) , whatever happened to her anyway? Also Gerald Keane, Miriam O Callaghan and her heading to Kerry for her holidays, ditto certain policitians and meaningless celebrities like Amy Huberman, Glenda Gilson, the Corrs, Bill Cullen and Jackie Lavin etc etc etc.
    All the lovies living in some kind of gilded , incestuous inner circle of Irish life, not like the rest of us, something we had to aspire to on Sundays when we read about them yet again. It was sickening reading this stuff, the fawning from the talentless Egan, the same old tittle tattle, the same stories about holidays, Christmas, lunches. Its just became so irrelevant.

Recently in this lockdown I was washing my windows and I asked my neighbour if she had any newspapers. The oldest trick in the book is to dry windows off with newspaper , gives a great shine.
    My kind neighbour gave me the Sunday Indo! I was surprised to see the same old Living section, with the same crap, same celebs, nothing fresh or new about it, Barry Egan still spouting out the same old rubbish! Some things never change.

They did a great job on my windows though :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Hes very friendly with the Indo's owner Denis O Brien , all these billionaires network a lot on how to get richer at cost of their employees or tenants and how to source their profits through foreign countries to avoid paying any tax in Ireland.

That is going to come as a massive surprise to Mediahuis, who actually own the Sindo

https://www.mediahuis.be/en/media/republic-of-ireland-northern-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

That is going to come as a massive surprise to Mediahuis, who actually own the Sindo

Dennis O'Brien is like the George Soros of Irish public discourse - people would blame him for the crappy weather if they could.

Advertisement