Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entry level Scott - Any use?

• 09-05-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭

https://eurocycles.com/scott-aspect-780-mountain-bike-2020/

My daughter has asked for a "normal" bike just for faffing around locally. I'm not paying the 400 quid that all of a sudden everyone thinks their shed-relics are worth, but is a bottom rung new bike from a reputable manufacturer worth a shot?

Are they awful?

This bike will NOT be used on anything resembling a mountain bike trail. It'll go to the shops, mount the odd kerb. That's it. (I also know it's not a girl's bike :) ).

Of course I'd prefer an 800 euro bike a year or two old but lockdown is now, the sun is out now and it's slim enough pickins out there in the used market. I'd just really like an opinion on the above Scott or similar please if anyone knows a bit about them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It will do everything you mention but at that price point the fork will just be unnecessary weight. Unless she want a front fork a rigid might be an idea. This one is also a 1x less faffing about.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/arx-26

A disc brake would be a nice upgrade over the front fork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭fat bloke

1x rigid would be perfect, you're right. But she's about 5ft 6 so she's out if the "youth" bracket, size-wise. That Giant is one size and too small I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

For what you mention it should be grand. That being said as it's an 'mtb' it's going to be alot of unnecessary weight so it might be better looking at a city hybrid bike for her. Other advantage to city bikes is they are less appealing to the crowd who would be nicking bikes.

Even if shes not going to go mtbing I wouldnt like to ride that bike off road with rim brakes and it's cheap drive train which will slap about everywhere.

If you pay 100€ more you could get something like this calibre which specs are leaps and bounds better than what your considering and you could even try her out mtbing on it. According to calibre size small would fit her fine if shes 5ft6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Tony04 wrote: »
    For what you mention it should be grand. That being said as it's an 'mtb' it's going to be alot of unnecessary weight so it might be better looking at a city hybrid bike for her. Other advantage to city bikes is they are less appealing to the crowd who would be nicking bikes.

Even if shes not going to go mtbing I wouldnt like to ride that bike off road with rim brakes and it's cheap drive train which will slap about everywhere.

If you pay 100€ more you could get something like this calibre which specs are leaps and bounds better than what your considering and you could even try her out mtbing on it. According to calibre size small would fit her fine if shes 5ft6

Thanks. That's a great looking bike alright. I'm keen to buy off a local bike shop though, and I'm also looking to avoid the "if you paid €X more" cost spiral, which would be there regardless of my budget :). Merida /Trek / Cube /Giant /Scott. I'm sure any of em would be fit for purpose really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That high bar you've set with your bikes has come full circle. You know it's only fair. :D

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/15812/2020-s-works-enduro/

49878225016_005141b3ca.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement