Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetships 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tsandcs

P0dr1ck wrote: »
    Is everyone here applying for the first time?

First time, was also waiting to finish my degree

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭P0dr1ck

josh1010st wrote: »
    Yeah first time applying for me anyway, I was waiting until I finished my degree to apply, you?

This is my 2nd time applying after finishing my degree, got to the interview stages last year but didn't prepare well for them so here i go again. Good luck to everyone this year

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RCB1A

First time applying too, just finished secondary and waiting on grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Borderland

This is my third time. I’ve finished my undergrad and done a postgrad in the meantime so if they don’t want me now, their loss!

Borderland wrote: »
    This is my third time. I’ve finished my undergrad and done a postgrad in the meantime so if they don’t want me now, their loss!

Which ones have you applied for? I went for two navy Cadetships and army line Cadetship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mcc_c

This is my first time applying as well.

@Borderland that's some commitment fair play to you and goodluck, sounds like you deserve it!

Which ones have you applied for? I went for two navy Cadetships and army line Cadetship.

Just the army cadetship!

So how is everyone doing?

The radio silence and anticipation are killing me. I keep thinking through some misfortune they've forgotten to send me an email.
    I suppose all I can do is keep on preparing to keep my mind off of it. :o

RCB1A wrote: »
    So how is everyone doing?

The radio silence and anticipation are killing me. I keep thinking through some misfortune they've forgotten to send me an email.
    I suppose all I can do is keep on preparing to keep my mind off of it. :o

This process literally takes the entire summer. I reckon you shouldn’t expect anything for the next 2 weeks. You’ll get a week to do the tests online, then another couple weeks before the fitness tests.

So long as you got your confirmation email/text just sit tight on the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 josh1010st

This process literally takes the entire summer. I reckon you shouldn’t expect anything for the next 2 weeks. You’ll get a week to do the tests online, then another couple weeks before the fitness tests.

So long as you got your confirmation email/text just sit tight on the rest!

For the Psychometric tests, is there much practice material supplied? And do you know what company supplies the tests to the DF because they usually have more practice ones on their website?

Thank you!

• Advertisement

For the Psychometric tests, is there much practice material supplied? And do you know what company supplies the tests to the DF because they usually have more practice ones on their website?

Thank you!

Eh not that I can remember. There is a practice booklet that comes with the invitation to sit the test. As for the actual test, you do a tutorial prior to the actual test. I tended to just do the practice tutorial 7/8 times and then launch into the test.

They used Mindmill in previous years, although that is probably subject to change.

Eh not that I can remember. There is a practice booklet that comes with the invitation to sit the test. As for the actual test, you do a tutorial prior to the actual test. I tended to just do the practice tutorial 7/8 times and then launch into the test.

They used Mindmill in previous years, although that is probably subject to change.

Ah nice one, thanks for that buddy!

Anyone get their Psychometric tests today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tsandcs

Yep just got the email too

Didn't seem to get one, anyone else in the same boat? Checked junk as well

mcc_c wrote: »
    Didn't seem to get one, anyone else in the same boat? Checked junk as well

Got mine too, you might want to ring them on Monday if you don't get it by then

Got mine too, you might want to ring them on Monday if you don't get it by then

Hmmm very strange, unless they're giving them out by branch? Have any of use who got it applied for the Air Corps? Yep I might get in touch on Monday if I hear nothing back!

Hmmm very strange, unless they're giving them out by branch? Have any of use who got it applied for the Air Corps? Yep I might get in touch on Monday if I hear nothing back!

No just army and navy

They’ve issued the Army and Navy tests.

The Aer Corp psychometric tests are different to the ones for the Army/Navy and will presumably be sent when they’re ready to send them on.

The Aer Corp process is different to the Army/Naval insofar as you go to Badonnell for the fitness etc whereas everyone else goes to Curragh. They could be operating to a different schedule.

Would just sit tight if you’re waiting on an Aer Corp psychometric. Maybe give them a call Friday if you’ve not heard anything or if you know they’ve sent Aer Corp tests out.

Only drawing attention to yourself otherwise!

They’ve issued the Army and Navy tests.

The Aer Corp psychometric tests are different to the ones for the Army/Navy and will presumably be sent when they’re ready to send them on.

The Aer Corp process is different to the Army/Naval insofar as you go to Badonnell for the fitness etc whereas everyone else goes to Curragh. They could be operating to a different schedule.

Would just sit tight if you’re waiting on an Aer Corp psychometric. Maybe give them a call Friday if you’ve not heard anything or if you know they’ve sent Aer Corp tests out.

Only drawing attention to yourself otherwise!

Yeah that's fair enough could be a little longer to get together or something like that. Probably a better idea to wait, thanks for the advice.

If anyone who has applied for the Air Corps gets an email would they mind posting it up? Just to be sure to be sure. Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Pure Speculation:

So I’ve completed the Psychometric and there is a new section which was not there in previous years. A personality test at the end.

I’ve heard that these were usually sent out post group assessment but pre interview.

On military.ie on the Cadets section they now have:

“The Cadet Competition is held annually and is the only way for potential candidates to join the Defence Forces to become an Army Line Officer. Candidates undergo psychometric and fitness testing, an interview and a medical exam.”

I wonder have they gotten rid of the group assessment because of Covid?? No mention of it on the website and difficult to see how they could run it in practice..

Just cut people based on the personality test/psychometric scores and then interview slightly more than they otherwise would??

Pure Speculation:

So I’ve completed the Psychometric and there is a new section which was not there at previous years. A personality test at the end.

I’ve heard that these were usually sent out post group assessment but pre interview.

“The Cadet Competition is held annually and is the only way for potential candidates to join the Defence Forces to become an Army Line Officer. Candidates undergo psychometric and fitness testing, an interview and a medical exam.”

I wonder have they gotten rid of the group assessment because of Covid?? No mention of it on the website and difficult to see how they could run it in practice..

Just cut people based on the personality test/psychometric scores and then interview slightly more than they otherwise would??

That’s a really good shout in fairness, I thought it was odd too that they have the personality tests in this when they had it separately before.
    The way they conduct the fitness tests might be different too due to Covid?

I don't think you should worry I didn't get my Air Corps one yet either.

Pure Speculation:

So I’ve completed the Psychometric and there is a new section which was not there in previous years. A personality test at the end.

I had a look at the terms and conditions documents and the group assessment is still part of the whole recruitment phase for army and navy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dskell67

Does anyone have an idea of when they are commencing recruitment again?

Dskell67 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea of when they are commencing recruitment again?

For a cadetship? Spring 2021. There are direct entry commissions available on military.ie if you’re eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dskell67

Just in regard to current competitions applied in March for general service wondering when they will continue with backlog applications

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SierraLima

Hi Guys, for anyone that has applied exclusively for the air corps cadetship, have any of you received the stage 1 online tests yet? Been nearly two weeks since closing date now. Thanks!

SierraLima wrote: »
    Hi Guys, for anyone that has applied exclusively for the air corps cadetship, have any of you received the stage 1 online tests yet? Been nearly two weeks since closing date now. Thanks!

Still haven't no, @borderland was saying they do their own thing so I'd imagine that's the case. It's reassuring to know others haven't received it too, always that paranoia that it got deleted or something!

• Advertisement

Well lads I got a junk mail email regarding vetting, I think it's in regards to the Reserves and not the Air Corps, I did the fitness etc for the RDF and the email points towards that a lot but just want to put it out there and make sure nobody else who has applied for the Air Corps has got it

Advertisement