Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privet problem

Options
  • 09-05-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

We have a privet hedge. Planted it bare root three years ago. Absolutely thriving except in one area. This area sits waterlogged for most of the year because our fcuking neighbours won't drain away water from their site.
    Anyway, there is definitely life in the hedge in the wet area and it is sprouting leaves but the stem of the plant is very thin and flimsy in comparison to the stronger area of hedge.
    Husband trimmed down the good parts of hedge recently but my question is, should he trim down these struggling bits too.
    My argument with him is that the hedge is trying so hard to grow upwards, it is struggling to fill out?
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Dump him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Dump him

I looked into it, too expensive. What about me hedge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

How unfortunate.
    Why are you blaming the neighbours, it's your hedge!
    If it's too wet you could put in your own drainage or plant something more suitable like Alder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We had drainage done. Lawns finished. Everything looking the biz. He started tricking with stuff on his side and has left water seeping towards a particular area that is causing water log. We are considering getting digger in again but hate spending more money on muck and digging. Another discussion for another day.
    I would prefer to stick with the privet. It'll be a great hedge.but question is whether or not to clip back the bits that have been struggling and are only taking off now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Only reason to trim all the hedge at the same time is tidiness. If you think one of the plants wont take well to the trimming right now I see nothing wrong with leaving it grow to be a bit stronger before trimming it back. I normally would leave privet flower before I would trim it anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement