Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord packed our stuff up and threw it out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ted you can't believe that someone takes all of the possessions from the house for no reason. Why would they do that?

That’s why the op needs to have a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

This is a dream case for any adjudicator and a nice compensation awarded to the students. Dont waste any more time, pick up your items and immediately file an RTB case against your landlord. I would love to be present at your adjudication hearing so give me a shout when it's on and i will be there.

Love it, just when i thought that landlords cant go any lower! Just make sure to file the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnYerPike

Haven't heard from the OP in over 5 days!!!

I think it's about time he updated us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s why the op needs to have a conversation.

You couldn't think of a single reason. Well ill help you here. The LL isn't allowed to remove property without permission.

You'd make a great police officer Ted.

"Inspector Ted this appears to be murder".

"Now now let's not jump to conclusions, we need to have a conversation with the murderer first".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

daithi7 wrote: »
    If they don't keep their end of a lease agreement up, they do [share responsibility for the illegal actions of another person] in my book. Particularly when they had 'renegotiated ' it!!

Honestly that kind of argument, generalised, would justify a loan shark breaking the legs of a debtor who was late with payments ( especially if he had got a reduction).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I really don't see how anyone can justify the actions of this landlord at all.

Must be a wind up by some of the LL's in this thread or just somewhere to vent, they can't honestly believe this behaviour is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Not justifying the position of anyone, and I know it's not possible but I would have loved to have heard the side of the other tenants and the Landlord!!

There is a serious amount of people in this thread vilifying the LL on the biased and incomplete word of one anonymous poster. A poster that hasn't been heard from, or answered pertinent questions, in days.

You couldn't think of a single reason. Well ill help you here. The LL isn't allowed to remove property without permission.

"Now now let's not jump to conclusions, we need to have a conversation with the murderer first".

Well yes, that would be a good idea in a murder case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

FVP3 wrote: »
    Honestly that kind of argument, generalised, would justify a loan shark breaking the legs of a debtor who was late with payments ( especially if he had got a reduction).

Nope, but it may justify a landlord moving absent tenants stuff out of their property when they've fallen behind in their rent, had already renegotiated a previous agreement and weren't at the property.

I mean maybe the Landlord thought they had left for good!?

How was he to know!? They weren't paying (an already reduced) rent, they weren't there... I mean come on... what did they expect... properties cost money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Nope, but it may justify a landlord moving absent tenants stuff out of their property when they've fallen behind in their rent, had already renegotiated a previous agreement and weren't at the property.

How was he to know!? They weren't paying (an already reduced) rent, they weren't there... I mean come on... what did they expect... properties cost money!!

They should expect him to obey the law.

• Advertisement

lozenges wrote: »

And they should also expect to pay their (reduced) rent, which they didn't. So tough. Imho.

And they should also expect to pay their (reduced) rent, which they didn't. So tough. Imho.

Illegal evictions are, as the name suggests, illegal. Late payment of rent, while certainly not desirable, is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He has yet to evict them.

Also, he has stored their stuff in a safe location! /s

Illegal evictions are, as the name suggests, illegal. Late payment of rent, while certainly not desirable, is not.

Yes, but imho it should be grounds to break a contract to provide services begging paid for, just like it would in any other commercial contract.

Our politicians have just caved to lefty lobby groups, protecting morons like the OP & his housemates here imho.

P.s. other examples of landlord / tenant inequality-
    - landlord must pay rtb registration, like why?
    - legally different terms given for notices for tenants to landlords versus landlords to tenants , why?
    - landlords can only ask tenants leave on certain grounds but tenants can leave for any reason, why?
    - % of rtb cases ruled against landlord, it's populist 'justice' if ever there was such!!
    - ability & mechanisms to pursue outstanding tenants after they leave property (maybe they should be precluded by the rtb from renting again until they've paid their arrears!?)
    - and while we're on it, since this is a landlord funded database, how about having access to a record of each& every tenant (&landlords) details (say on request) to have the ability to see how many rtb spats have been made against them, before letting them your expensively acquired & decorated property so that their errant ways and total sense of entitlement can start robbing you of rent due!?

(Now that would be a fairer, better system for all imho)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes, but imho it should be grounds to break a contract to provide services begging paid for, just like it would in any other commercial contract.

Late payment of rent is ordinarily grounds to terminate a rental contract.

There is a legal process for doing this.

If you are not going to listen to the accused murderer , why bother with the courts at all?

No mention by the landlord of an eviction and no update from OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

They were 7 days behind in their rent and informed the LL in advance that it would be late. I cannot see how that can be construed as abandonment. If the LL was unsure he only had to ask, especially given the current pandemic restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Sarn wrote: »
    They were 7 days behind in their rent and informed the LL in advance that it would be late. I cannot see how that can be construed as abandonment. If the LL was unsure he only had to ask, especially given the current pandemic restrictions.

Why should the landlord have to ask anything? It was absolutely clear when the rent was due. He was being messed around enough. How would you like if yu boss told you your wages were being cut, then when they were due to be paid,at the lower rate, saying they would be late?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Why should the landlord have to ask anything?

Like wheres my rent? Is everything ok? Is there an issue with payment? Are you alive? What will I do with the apartment? Even a call to say I'm fecking out your stuff.

You know it, we all know it, chancing his arm with students. The deposit was just too big to resist.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »

Ok so let's look at the options.

A: The landlord illegally evicted them.

B: The landlord hasn't evicted them. He informed them that he will be using the deposit as rent due and took all their things out of the house and kept them in his property.

You're defending the indefensible.

Why should the landlord have to ask anything? It was absolutely clear when the rent was due. He was being messed around enough. How would you like if yu boss told you your wages were being cut, then when they were due to be paid,at the lower rate, saying they would be late?

The OP informed him rent would be late prior to the due date. He didn't reply to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

304 posts and only 5 from the OP and none since Sunday? Hope they resolved the situation.

The OP informed him rent would be late prior to the due date. He didn't reply to this.

If I don’t get a reply , I assume the message wasn’t received.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

If, as suggested, that the LL thought that they had left for good (despite their communication implying the contrary), then he should have checked before removing their possessions.

Where did I say it was ok for the rent to be late? Both LL and tenant have obligations to each other. However, sometimes things come up that can’t be helped and at least the tenant made some effort to mitigate the situation by giving a heads up. We may not have the full facts, but based on what is presented, the LL has not gone about this the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

the_syco wrote: »

Ha?
    So if hasnt evicted them, what has he done?
    I presume you agree that he would have no right to remove their stuff while they were in bed some night, so if he hasnt evicted them, what gives him the right to remove their stuff while they are out of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hoboo wrote: »
    Like wheres my rent? Is everything ok? Is there an issue with payment? Are you alive? What will I do with the apartment? Even a call to say I'm fecking out your stuff.

You know it, we all know it, chancing his arm with students. The deposit was just too big to resist.

You haven't answered my question. If you got the same thing from your employer about your wages, would you still be working?

ted1 wrote: »
    If I don’t get a reply , I assume the message wasn’t received.

But then the landlord text the OP after removal of his possessions. Doesn't add up really does it.

You haven't answered my question. If you got the same thing from your employer about your wages, would you still be working?

CH you seem to be forgetting that we don't need a set of analogies to argue this one out. We have tenancy laws in place already.

• Advertisement

Our politicians have just caved to lefty lobby groups, protecting morons like the OP & his housemates here imho.

P.s. other examples of landlord / tenant inequality-
    - landlord must pay rtb registration, like why?
    - legally different terms given for notices for tenants to landlords versus landlords to tenants , why?
    - landlords can only ask tenants leave on certain grounds but tenants can leave for any reason, why?
    - % of rtb cases ruled against landlord, it's populist 'justice' if ever there was such!!
    - ability & mechanisms to pursue outstanding tenants after they leave property (maybe they should be precluded by the rtb from renting again until they've paid their arrears!?)
    - and while we're on it, since this is a landlord funded database, how about having access to a record of each& every tenant (&landlords) details (say on request) to have the ability to see how many rtb spats have been made against them, before letting them your expensively acquired & decorated property so that their errant ways and total sense of entitlement can start robbing you of rent due!?

(Now that would be a fairer, better system for all imho)

You asked what the tenants should expect. I would think that the bare minimum that should be expected, in any circumstance (property related or otherwise) is that all parties should obey the law.

Advertisement