Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord packed our stuff up and threw it out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ted1 wrote: »
    I’d talk to them and remind them they can’t leave the house empty for 30 days. Especially if there’s issue with rent payments

She left some stuff.

Your first 4 words are key here Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,517 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wouldn’t blame him for not posting again. He’s been attacked on this thread, like most renters are.

Seriously, landlords are being constantly attacked. Any all advice is the nuclear option which drags out as opposed to the easy option which is generally to converse with the other party

GreeBo wrote: »
    Your first 4 words are key here Ted.

Absolutely. Always pick up the phone. So many things are miscommunicated via messages and email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The same mentality where theres a pervasive anti landlord culture that thinks on one hand we have a rental crisis and need to do everything in our power to get vacant properties filled but on the other hand the same people think being 37 days in rent arrears and leaving a property thats not even their primary residence vacant for over 2 months is fine.

“Its the law, the law, the law “ they cry out when a tenant stands to lose . But laws are unjust or need to be broken when it is they who stand to lose. Casual bootlicking when it suits an agenda.

The insanity of our rental laws are brought forth in this thread, 37 days rent delinquant and your stuff ends up available for collection in a secure unit should be standard practice , not an illegal furore. This os why we have a dysfunctional rental market.

Before anyone starts, if these people cane home from work one day to find the locks changed in their PPR then it would be different, but its students with another place to live who left a 2 bed apartment in dublin city vacant for 2 months

Find anybody in this forum in its entire history who has justified tenant illegality, as you are justifying landlord illegality here.

You guys are your own worst enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Only in the world of amateur legal eagles can a person be condemned for a criminal act they in fact did not commit. It's all covered under the below act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/section/4/enacted/en/html

Your argument is that the landlord is committing a Criminal act because A, he entered a property that he actually owns, as a trespasser and that he intended to commit a crime when inside the house that he owns. Yes, he could commit a crime in there, but he's not committing Criminal trespass. It's a civil trespass as it relates to a breach of tenency law.

In regards the actual theft, my understanding is that he notified the owners that the property is available to collect whenever they return. It's been moved but there's no intent to deprive the owners.

Your suggestion is that Landlord can't enter his own property without express permission and that if a tenant leaves property behind, he can't touch it ever. It's a rental property, not storage!

How the hell do you guys think storage lockers get emptied when people stop paying?

He evicted tenants illegally. They didn't abandon anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

I guess you're right on trespass/theft, but not on tenancy regulations.
    Your suggestion is that Landlord can't enter his own property without express permission

that is obvious, please see https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/during-a-tenancy/maintenance-inspections-and-access/inspections-and-access/

"The landlord can only enter the property with the permission of the tenant, unless it is an emergency situation, and the landlord must enter the property and every attempt has been made to contact the tenant (for example a flood in the property or a fire etc). "

and that if a tenant leaves property behind, he can't touch it ever. It's a rental property, not storage!

there are laws covering abandonment by the tenant, which were already mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Absolutely. Always pick up the phone. So many things are miscommunicated via messages and email
    Agreed. Also find having one "head" tenant helps, so that tenants aren't random;y messaging the LL without knowing if/what the other tenant has said.

Have lived with people who shoot others in the foot by drunk texting the LL in anger of a matter that was nearly resolved.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    I suggest people travel abroad and rent to see how amateur the situation can be in Ireland.
    Have lived in Toronto. The crap LL's there are just as bad. True, the equal of the PTRB has more teeth, but have seen so many basements with seriously bad mould with wet walls over there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OK folks, this is going nowhere. Some off-topic posts have been deleted.

The OP clearly is not under the impression he has abandoned the property and nothing to suggest the landlord thinks it either so please move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Only in the world of amateur legal eagles can a person be condemned for a criminal act they in fact did not commit. It's all covered under the below act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/act/50/section/4/enacted/en/html

Your argument is that the landlord is committing a Criminal act because A, he entered a property that he actually owns, as a trespasser and that he intended to commit a crime when inside the house that he owns. Yes, he could commit a crime in there, but he's not committing Criminal trespass. It's a civil trespass as it relates to a breach of tenency law.

In regards the actual theft, my understanding is that he notified the owners that the property is available to collect whenever they return. It's been moved but there's no intent to deprive the owners.

Your suggestion is that Landlord can't enter his own property without express permission and that if a tenant leaves property behind, he can't touch it ever. It's a rental property, not storage!

How the hell do you guys think storage lockers get emptied when people stop paying?

More bull****. Amateur Irish landlords just can't get their head around the idea that if they rent property out for profit they no longer have possession of it.

The sooner the rest of these spoofers are driven out of the market the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The same mentality where theres a pervasive anti landlord culture that thinks on one hand we have a rental crisis and need to do everything in our power to get vacant properties filled but on the other hand the same people think being 37 days in rent arrears and leaving a property thats not even their primary residence vacant for over 2 months is fine.

“Its the law, the law, the law “ they cry out when a tenant stands to lose . But laws are unjust or need to be broken when it is they who stand to lose. Casual bootlicking when it suits an agenda.

The insanity of our rental laws are brought forth in this thread, 37 days rent delinquant and your stuff ends up available for collection in a secure unit should be standard practice , not an illegal furore. This os why we have a dysfunctional rental market.

Before anyone starts, if these people cane home from work one day to find the locks changed in their PPR then it would be different, but its students with another place to live who left a 2 bed apartment in dublin city vacant for 2 months

Where are you getting 37 days from ?
    The OP clearly states that it was rent for May that was going to be late by a week. Presumably that was due on the first of May and they were (supposedly) paying it on the 7th.
    My take is that they were rent paid for April and a pissed off amateur LL for some reason effectively evicted them within 7 days of their next rent falling due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Where are you getting 37 days from ? The OP clearly states that it was rent for May that was going to be late by a week. Presumably that was due on the first of May and they were (supposedly) paying it on the 7th. My take is that they were rent paid for April and a pissed off amateur LL for some reason effectively evicted them within 7 days of their next rent falling due.

Eric has made up his own story.

I'm not sure if he is being deliberately misleading or just completely unaware of his own biases

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is quite simple.
    Pay rent in full and on time ; no problems.
    Pay rent late or not at all; problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ballso wrote: »
    The sooner the rest of these spoofers are driven out of the market the better.
    The thing that people don't realise is that REITs for the most part only do apartment buildings in profitable areas, and demand references & deposits. If the OP had been living in a REIT, they would have gotten no discount, and an automated letter about 14 days to pay the rent or eviction proceedings would start. Maybe the wouldn't be able to evict him now, but they can still start the process.

But as the OP would've been fresh on the market, so don't see why a REIT would rent to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

It is quite simple.
    Pay rent in full and on time ; no problems.
    Pay rent late or not at all; problems.

Lets flip that...

Do your duty as a landlord and fix things in a timely manner ; no problem

Refuse to fix things in a timely manner and go against regulations ; problems for the landlord!

frag420 wrote: »
    Lets flip that...

Do your duty as a landlord and fix things in a timely manner ; no problem

Refuse to fix things in a timely manner and go against regulations ; problems for the landlord!

It isn't a landlord who started this thread. It was a tenant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I love how all the psychopaths defending the landlord still have all their posts on here but a good portion of posts on the side of the tenant have been deleted. Are any of the mods LL thugs, I wonder???

Ireland is absolutely insane. I can't believe anyone would take the side of a charlatan who dumps someone's stuff out of their rental property without their permission at the earliest opportunity during an eviction freeze. He won't have a leg to stand on with the RTB but unfortunately they're going to be absolutely swamped with this going on so I envisage no satisfaction for the tenant.

When can my landlord step in and do that, as soon as I leave the house or does he have to wait for me to tell him I'm a day or two late with collecting the rent from three other people sharing the property in an unprecedented global pandemic?

Absolute f*cking madness. It would really drive you to act the c*nt as a tenant. Having been f*cked over before and facing into our third year of waiting for the outcome of our second RTB hearing after our landlord said he didn't receive any of the correspondence and we had to do the whole thing again after winning the first time, if our agent tried to get us to leave now we would continue to pay the rent but not shift an inch until we were good and ready.

Well done boards, you've actually increased my hated of the landlord "class".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

I think Airbnb are still operating OP, that might get you back to work at least, you could negotiate a weeks rent.

Maybe show up to the gaffe and see if you can still get in.

Are you allowed to gain entry to your place, i.e. <SNIP>.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

s1ippy wrote: »
    I love how all the psychopaths defending the landlord still have all their posts on here but a good portion of posts on the side of the tenant have been deleted. Are any of the mods LL thugs, I wonder???

Mod Note

I deleted the irrelevant off-topic generic landlord bashing rants, the same as I would do for irrelevant off-topic generic tenant bashing rants.

I suggest you read the forum charter and Boards rules before posting again.

Do not reply to this post.

Treppen wrote: »

Are you allowed to gain entry to your place, i.e. <SNIP>.

That’s the key point. The op hasn’t said. He may well be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Simply not acceptable behaviour from the landlord and there is no defence that can justify it. PRTB case and that is it. Very foolish behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You need to contact the RTB straight away and likely you will end up having to engage a solicitor.
    He doesn’t have a leg to stand on but you still have to go through the legal process

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Graham wrote: »
    On the surface of it, sounds like it could be an illegal eviction.

Talk to the RTB first thing Monday, they may advise the landlord he would be wise to change his position.

I'm not sure of Irish Landlord and Tenant Law (assume they're quite similar) but in UK this would most definitely consititute an illegal eviction, for which tenants have been awarded £thousands. The fines are very hefty (often 40K or more) and I'd imagine even more so now in the current climate.

I would see a solicitor asap.

I'm not sure of Irish Landlord and Tenant Law (assume they're quite similar) but in UK this would most definitely consititute an illegal eviction, for which tenants have been awarded £thousands. The fines are very hefty (often 40K or more) and I'd imagine even more so now in the current climate.

I would see a solicitor asap.

This is not the UK. We left in 1922.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Really would not like to be a tenant of some of the LLs in this thread. Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

This landlord is an absolute greedy arsehole for doing this to you. no heating for 3 months also. sue the scroungy scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shirley the Land Lord should have been contacted by the OP, and the OP should make it very clear that they know their rights, and that the have gotten all the legal text on what can and can't be done in the event of a late payment. That they are willing to give him time to respond, but if he doesn't then they will report him and get a solicitor involved to recover the deposit and to seek damages for entering the property illegally and removing property not belonging to him.
    The guy hasn't a leg to stand on.

buzzerxx wrote: »
    This landlord is an absolute greedy arsehole for doing this to you. no heating for 3 months also. sue the scroungy scumbag.

What’s greedy? We don’t know if the tenant was actually evicted. But let’s say he is.

Greed would normally imply one benefits. The landlord has a empty unit with no rent. So the landlord is out of pocket. Which would say it’s not greed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What’s greedy? We don’t know if the tenant was actually evicted. But let’s say he is.

Greed would normally imply one benefits. The landlord has a empty unit with no rent. So the landlord is out of pocket. Which would say it’s not greed

What would you do in this situation if you agreed reduced rent, the rent was late 1 week and the tenant could not get to the property because of a global pandemic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The LL is up 4,300 euro. At least for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

6 posts by the op in a 16 page thread. Good traction tbf.

Advertisement