Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cryptocurrency holdings declaration?

Options
  • 10-05-2020 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hoping to apply for a mortgage in the near future,

One quick question, I realised I've a cryptocurrency holding dating back 3/4 years. Is this something I should be declaring within my application?

The balance is well less than 5k at today's rates, but I'd be reluctant to declare this as an investment/savings amount if not necessary!

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭nutjobb

Personally I wouldn't declare that. Once you have your 6 month savings in your account statements with no risky spending (gmabling) you should be fine provided you are in secure employment.

I never declared my holdings when I was applying. It wouldn't surprise me if the bank viewed it as a form of gambling as it is so volatile..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just bear in mind that if you have made a profit on those holdings, that you would have to make a Capital Gains Tax declaration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Jsmac67

Just bear in mind that if you have made a profit on those holdings, that you would have to make a Capital Gains Tax declaration.

If they gains were crystalized, so not applicable at present.

Advertisement