Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH - Relocating ONT

Options
  • 10-05-2020 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi folks, recently got FTTH installed. On the day of the installation I wasn't home and instructed himself to locate the ONT in the utility next to my patch panel and switch. Deaf ears he has! I came home to find it just inside the hall door *sigh*.

Anyways now I have this free time confined to the house I want to move the ONT to the utility. The fibre cable came in via phone master socket (not used) to the ONT. The guy who installed it left a heap of fibre cable outside and never bothered collecting it.

Is there a coupler I can get to attach to the fibre cable connecter at the ONT, attach it to the cable the installer left and relocate the ONT box to utility and connect back up there?

Any help gratefully received 😉.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

blackeyes wrote: »
    Hi folks, recently got FTTH installed. On the day of the installation I wasn't home and instructed himself to locate the ONT in the utility next to my patch panel and switch. Deaf ears he has! I came home to find it just inside the hall door *sigh*.

Anyways now I have this free time confined to the house I want to move the ONT to the utility. The fibre cable came in via phone master socket (not used) to the ONT. The guy who installed it left a heap of fibre cable outside and never bothered collecting it.

Is there a coupler I can get to attach to the fibre cable connecter at the ONT, attach it to the cable the installer left and relocate the ONT box to utility and connect back up there?

Any help gratefully received 😉.
    I think they can only bring it 1meter from when it enters the house, this might be why they didn't bring it to the utility.
    You would be better off leaving the ont and moving the modem by running a running a CAT 5/6 between the ONT and modem. It would be easier to source the materials this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd agree with Irish Kopite on this.
    Far simpler proposition to run a cat6 cable from the ONT to your patch panel.

I don't have a utility as such, but my router and patch panel are located under my stairs with the utility points in the hallway.

I've run my Cat6 from the main socket under the skirting and through a hole in drilled in the stairs.
    Nice and neat and very simple and cheap to do.

Couplers are available as are splicers but have no idea of cost or use other than a quick Google.
    https://ie.rs-online.com/mobile/c/connectors/network-telecom-connectors/fibre-optic-adapters/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

sorry to hijack this thread, but I also had a question about my setup. I had eir install it a few years back and as you can see from photo they put some sort of extension which goes into my sitting room where the router is located. I assume this is the same reason as why ONT wasn't moved.

Would I better off trying to get an Ethernet directly connected to the ONT or is this extension OK to use? I was having some issues with getting speeds on my modem, so wasn't sure if this setup would impact my potential fibre speeds?

512592.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

chewed wrote: »
    Would I better off trying to get an Ethernet directly connected to the ONT or is this extension OK to use? I was having some issues with getting speeds on my modem, so wasn't sure if this setup would impact my potential fibre speeds?

Have you tested with the router directly connected to the ONT?

The Cush wrote: »
    Have you tested with the router directly connected to the ONT?

no, not yet. It was really just a general query as to whether speeds would be impacted by having this extension. My router is in the next room behind this wall and approx. 4 metres from the ONT. I was just checking to see if an ethernet cable would be better to connect to the router.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Indeed, it's what I did, as ONT is under the stairs and my PC room is on the other side of a bathroom.

I've used a ~10m Cat5e cable to link the ONT and router, I do wonder if a Cat6 would be better. I would probably max out at around 750Mbps (more often 650-700), maybe a Cat6 to link them would bring it a bit higher, not that I need it! :)

For anyone starting anew, it's probably just as handy to use Cat6 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

byte wrote: »
    Indeed, it's what I did, as ONT is under the stairs and my PC room is on the other side of a bathroom.

I've used a ~10m Cat5e cable to link the ONT and router, I do wonder if a Cat6 would be better. I would probably max out at around 750Mbps (more often 650-700), maybe a Cat6 to link them would bring it a bit higher, not that I need it! :)

For anyone starting anew, it's probably just as handy to use Cat6 anyway.

It likely will never matter, I've got 50m runs of old cat5(predated 5e) that do 960Mb fine.

ED E wrote: »
    It likely will never matter, I've got 50m runs of old cat5(predated 5e) that do 960Mb fine.

But if I was to buy a new cable to connect from ONT to Modem, I assume I'd be better off going for a Cat6?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

chewed wrote: »
    But if I was to buy a new cable to connect from ONT to Modem, I assume I'd be better off going for a Cat6?

Probably if the cost is similar. If you're putting it in a wall or making it inaccessible then definitely. If just running it on the surface and it can be changed, maybe not so important. Are you buying pre-terminated cables or doing it yourself?

Have a read here.
    https://www.cablematters.com/blog/Networking/cat5e-vs-cat6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If you wanted to move the ONT away from the ODP, you could run a longer fiber patch cord between them. I've done the extream version of this moving the ONT around 20~30m to my comms cab. Means I can have my ONT on my battery backup system.
    This allows you to move the ONT back to the orignial installation point if there are issues in future which your ISP needs to send a tech and you don't want them to leave with an 'ah, this isn't standard - can't support you' excuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

By chance, does anyone know what make the ONT is? I wanted to get a look inside it to see how the Fibre \ ethernet cable is setup. I want to see if I can just unplug the ethernet cable and plug in a longer extension or do I need to rewire it.

Thank you.

Thank you The Cush,

I've attached some pictures in case anyone ever needs to see what it looks like.

I've attached some pictures in case anyone ever needs to see what it looks like.

Yours is a SIRO ONT not open-eir, I'm not sure of they are using the same model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I frequently see posts about connecting the ONT to the modem.
    But isn't the ONT the modem?
    The ONT is the device that converts light signal to electrical signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I frequently see posts about connecting the ONT to the modem.
    But isn't the ONT the modem?
    The ONT is the device that converts light signal to electrical signal.

People these days get modem and router mixed up in the home setting when they have moved between (V)DSL to FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JuXo

There is fibre ntu, ONT and modem
    and its same ONT as Siro, we got only new ONTs for urban fibre install, they are going up to 10Giga

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Sorry if it's a silly question - But if you connected a lead between the ONT and a PC, would the PC have internet? i.e. no need for router..

BowWow wrote: »
    Sorry if it's a silly question - But if you connected a lead between the ONT and a PC, would the PC have internet? i.e. no need for router..

It can once the driver for you ethernet supports vlan tagging, most do. If you're with Eir it will connect right away with DHCP. If you are with one of the other providers you have to setup a PPPOE conection in windowa, it's very easy to do.
    It's unsecure though as a router provides a lot of protection to prevent your devices form attack.

Hi shaveAbullock,

Could you use a UDM to do the same thing? I have heard of a lot of people putting the router in bridge mode to use it but I was not sure why it's needed if you have UDM, which is in itself a router with security built in...maybe I am missing something else as i've only been flicking through the posts.

• Advertisement

You don't need bridge mode for FTTH
    The UDM can replace the router the ISP gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

Hi guys, someone may be able to give me a steer on this (apologies if wrong thread). I recently got 500mbps fibre and all is pretty good with it. I have the house fully wired with Cat5e and corresponding network points. I’m happy I am getting in excess of the 500 coming into the house but when I connect my laptop to my network in the Office I’m only getting around 300mbps speed. Is that normal ? Or any quick fixes I should be aware of ?

Thanks

Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭muffinhead

On your laptop go into Device Manager, double-click your ethernet adapter, open the Advanced tab and make sure "Speed & Duplex" is set to "1.0 Gbps Full Duplex".

• Registered Users Posts: 41 banjostring

Thanks very much for the reply, never knew about that !! I’ve tried it and it seems to have made a small improvement but still way down !

I’ll monitor & see how it goes.

thanjs again for the response 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

If you connect your laptop directly to your internet box with a short cat5 cable, what do you get?

If you still only get 300 megs there, its prob an laptop issue. You can test with another to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidlynch2016

there’s a company lynchnetworks.ie that can splice in a new internal fibre link with two termination points either end. Idea being you then have a direct fibre to your desired destination not a copper link inbetween.

With the new link you can have the original cabling install left as is and simply patch from the original TP to the new local link and then move your active equipment over where you want to.

alternative is run a copper Cat5e or Cat6. Recommend either is good if installed correctly but a safer bet is a u/stp version of either standard.

One other point I’d suggest is run a constant ping before and after you do the move to a close by hop you may notice a small amount of latency iva the copper link.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidlynch2016

Weve had this exact work done, the company is called Lynch Networks (not related), they basically put in a cable to match the one coming into the house and move all the equiptment to the other end where you need it, we had everything put up into the attic, our rabbit kept eating tru the white cable https://www.lynchnetworks.ie/services/fibre-optic.html

Advertisement