Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go back to work?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭User1998

I certainly wouldn’t work 40 hours a week for €100.

I’d stay on the scratcher for another few weeks if I was you, at the end of the day your just a number so why would you bother your arse getting up at 7am everyday to please your boss for the sake of €20 a day.

He was quick enough to let you go and he only wants you back because the website needs working on, not because he’s looking out for you.

You’ve probably worked and paid taxes your whole life and you deserve to be off work just as much as anyone else so don’t feel bad for being on the dole.

Be a different story if you could work from home updating the website at your own pace/leisure but thats not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Go to work

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It’s an extra 5,200 a year to work. I’m sure that’d cover those annoying yearly bills like insurance, tax, fuel bills etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WhatShouldIdo?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It’s an extra 5,200 a year to work. I’m sure that’d cover those annoying yearly bills like insurance, tax, fuel bills etc

It’s also €2.50 an hour extra earned compared to staying at home and staying on the right side of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yup, paying full time tax for the past 4 years, not entitled to anything from the NI government either. Very unfair

Yes, but there are perks to living in Northern Ireland as well,like cheaper cars. its not all a one way street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

The pay is grand in normal times as we earn commission when we sell a car, it will be impossible/illegal to sell cars until the restrictions are lifted, so I will only be earning the basic wage and no commission

Did you like your job pre Covid-19? I know it isn’t going to go back to the way it was anytime soon, if at all! But at the end of the day the restrictions are only going to be temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Stheno wrote: »
    No commission due to no car sales?

That's what I was guessing too, he didn't mention how much he averaged in commission

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

You should be lucky you have a job, look at all the people who won’t. Sitting at home doing nothing isn’t good for anyone, suck it up and go back to work

You should be lucky you have a job, look at all the people who won’t. Sitting at home doing nothing isn’t good for anyone, suck it up and go back to work

I am not sitting at home doing nothing, I am getting plenty of work done around the house. In my opinion my boss is more concerned about his website than my health or the covid 19 restrictions which are still in place. A boss should never ask anyone to break the law.

It’s not exactly an easy life, but returning to work to earn an extra 100 quid,
    Whilst also breaking the law, potentially getting on the wrong side of a guard at a checkpoint, and not least increasing the chances of contracting the virus, doesn’t sound that attractive to me.

Northern Irish people are not covered by covid19 regulations. Should be, but aren't.

As for the job, it's a few quid extra, gets you out of the house and a bit of fresh air. I assume perhaps wrongly that your boss would be ok with you operating on your own time under the circumstances?

And would I be correct to assume you are getting this offer precisely because the others are sitting pretty on 350?

• Advertisement

Northern Irish people are not covered by covid19 regulations. Should be, but aren't.

As for the job, it's a few quid extra, gets you out of the house and a bit of fresh air. I assume perhaps wrongly that your boss would be ok with you operating on your own time under the circumstances?

And would I be correct to assume you are getting this offer precisely because the others are sitting pretty on 350?

I am getting this offer as the others simply aren’t capable of managing the website, not because my boss thinks any more of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I am not sitting at home doing nothing, I am getting plenty of work done around the house. In my opinion my boss is more concerned about his website than my health or the covid 19 restrictions which are still in place. A boss should never ask anyone to break the law.

Well tell him no then but be prepared to do a lot more housework in the next year or 2

You may not make the rules but surely you should see that if I pay the same taxes into the system in normal times, I should receive the same support as everyone else now. That’s not the case.

How much tax do you pay in the north to avail of their public services?

You were let go before covid kicked in so your getting what you are entitled to, unemployment benefit which is better than your neighbors would be getting from the northern system.

You can't have it both ways. You want the republic system, be a resident of the republic and accept the cons as well as the pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Stay home OP it's not essential work.

I am getting this offer as the others simply aren’t capable of managing the website, not because my boss thinks any more of me.

No, I meant that you are getting the offer because it's a larger difference in cash for you than them. Either as an incentive or a gesture by your boss, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There's a massive recession here.
    Car sales gonna be hammered.

He wants you back.

Go

Keep the head down.

Time to think what you want to do in future

How much tax do you pay in the north to avail of their public services?

You were let go before covid kicked in so your getting what you are entitled to, unemployment benefit which is better than your neighbors would be getting from the northern system.

You can't have it both ways. You want the republic system, be a resident of the republic and accept the cons as well as the pros.

I could certainly choose to pay my tax in NI, I wouldn’t have to pay USC. However I am happy enough to continue to pay higher rates of tax in the country I work in. In my opinion this should entitle me to the same benefits as my work mates if and when we are laid off. As you say i can’t have it both ways, that’s why I choose to pay higher tax in normal times, expecting higher benefits when laid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Go. You might not be able to get anything if you stay in the dole. Think further ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

People are missing the point here, is updating a car sales website more important Than preventing the spread of the virus right now?

Cant you do it from home if its online work? That would be the best plan. If your doing anything you shouldn't be doing re travel and are going against government guidelines in any way you shouldn't return. You don't have to that is what the 350 is for. It was given as it wasn't safe for you to work. If it is safe and your employer is conforming to safety standards to protect you, I think you must return if you cant work from home. If employer is not conforming you will have to take advice from relevant body.

Cant you do it from home if its online work? That would be the best plan. If your doing anything you shouldn't be doing re travel and are going against government guidelines in any way you shouldn't return. You don't have to that is what the 350 is for. It was given as it wasn't safe for you to work. If it is safe and your employer is conforming to safety standards to protect you, I think you must return if you cant work from home. If employer is not conforming you will have to take advice from relevant body.

You obviously didn't even read the OP's opening post.
    He says he is NOT entitled to the €350. He also said he CANNOT work from home as he needs to be on site to take the necessary photos.

That aside I think you have already made up your mind OP. You obviously feel hard done by and don't want to go back to work........... so don't

I honestly cannot think why anyone would choose to stay at home after 8 weeks of this bloody lockdown, doing nothing. There is no point in saying you are doing "jobs around the house". Those jobs (if they even exist) are always there when you're working and if you haven't got on top of them after 8 weeks of this you're not going to!

I earn €35 euro a week more than the Covid payment - yep €385. I was asked to go back to work 2 weeks ago (essential) and I took the hand off them to accept it! I cant explain how much better I'm feeling being back at work. I was cracking up at home as I live on my own and it really was becoming unbearable.

I consider myself very lucky to have a job and also think the Covid payment of €350 has been a huge disincentive to people returning to their jobs.

I would also add I work with a team of people and using the excuse of spreading the virus is a COP OUT at this stage. All workplaces have social distancing and hand sanitizers at the very least and I work with 10 other. OP said he is going to be working alone!!!

Finally no Garda is going to stop you going to work, especially if you are driving alone. They are looking for cars with more than 1 person in them or people in camper vans going on their holidays! I have a letter from work but I haven't had to produce it once. The roads are very busy again and Gardai are never on them. I use the M1 to get to work and haven't seen one checkpoint.

There is going to be a big cohort of people using things like the "legality" of being asked to go back to work plus the "fear of spreading the virus" in order to sit at home on their ass doing nothing. Why would anyone chose that? If they do they deserve to be jobless when the economy recovers......and it will!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Stay home OP it's not essential work.

And don’t forget stay safe......

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

You are thinking too short term here, the right thing to do for your long term career prospects is to go back to work at the earliest opportunity. Your boss’s motives are irrelevant.

Travelling tomorrow morning to go work in a car dealership is not legal as the restrictions are still in place. My employer is expecting me to break the law, fancy letter or not.
    If its is not legal you don't do it. Employers are not allowed to force people to break the law. Nor are they able to force you to work in un safe environments. Soon employees will be told how they should go about reporting un safe work practices. Citizens advice can also help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I could certainly choose to pay my tax in NI, I wouldn’t have to pay USC. However I am happy enough to continue to pay higher rates of tax in the country I work in. In my opinion this should entitle me to the same benefits as my work mates if and when we are laid off. As you say i can’t have it both ways, that’s why I choose to pay higher tax in normal times, expecting higher benefits when laid off.

Any income earned in the ROI must have tax paid there.
    You may also have a tax bill at home but given the UKs bands are much higher it is unlikely you would have a liability there.

Someone living in south and working in north may well have a tax liability in both.

You obviously didn't even read the OP's opening post.
    He says he is NOT entitled to the €350. He also said he CANNOT work from home as he needs to be on site to take the necessary photos.

That aside I think you have already made up your mind OP. You obviously feel hard done by and don't want to go back to work........... so don't

I honestly cannot think why anyone would choose to stay at home after 8 weeks of this bloody lockdown, doing nothing. There is no point in saying you are doing "jobs around the house". Those jobs (if they even exist) are always there when you're working and if you haven't got on top of them after 8 weeks of this you're not going to!

I earn €35 euro a week more than the Covid payment - yep €385. I was asked to go back to work 2 weeks ago (essential) and I took the hand off them to accept it! I cant explain how much better I'm feeling being back at work. I was cracking up at home as I live on my own and it really was becoming unbearable.

I consider myself very lucky to have a job and also think the Covid payment of €350 has been a huge disincentive to people returning to their jobs.

I would also add I work with a team of people and using the excuse of spreading the virus is a COP OUT at this stage. All workplaces have social distancing and hand sanitizers at the very least and I work with 10 other. OP said he is going to be working alone!!!

Finally no Garda is going to stop you going to work, especially if you are driving alone. They are looking for cars with more than 1 person in them or people in camper vans going on their holidays! I have a letter from work but I haven't had to produce it once. The roads are very busy again and Gardai are never on them. I use the M1 to get to work and haven't seen one checkpoint.

There is going to be a big cohort of people using things like the "legality" of being asked to go back to work plus the "fear of spreading the virus" in order to sit at home on their ass doing nothing. Why would anyone chose that? If they do they deserve to be jobless when the economy recovers......and it will!
    What you have chosen to do is irrelevant to what he will choose to do. He is not allowed to break the law. He is entitled to his benefit he didn't walk out of the job and he will return when it isn't breaking the law and is safe to do so if he chooses or if he is not laid off altogether. Have you considered it may not be an excuse that there is a fear of spreading the virus if there actually is??????? Not everybody is a lazy dole scrounger. They are sensible people following guide lines as we have all been asked to do.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Yet he's able to claim Jobseekers Benefit whiile living in a different jurisdiction? He pays into the tax system in ROI, doesn't matter where he lives.

I'm sure other pontificaters on here would be pretty pissed off too if they were in his scenario.
    This is what we are going to see as we come out of restrictions. But, there are unions to prevent people being put at risk and forced into unsafe situations. It wont happen.

There is a huge FEAR culture now which seems to have replaced common sense. We NEED to get back to work, not make excuses not to. For many people who have been off work for 8 weeks , particularly those in rural areas who don't see anyone, there seems to be an irrational fear of leaving the house. They have almost become institutionalized.

I and many people have been out and about for weeks, shopping, working, walking, seeing lots of other people doing the same. Eventually we will have to take the risk and get back to life of sorts. There is no absolutely guarantee of 100% safety. If people want to give up their job, stay cocooned for ever, in fear of their lives then that is their option.
    There are many many businesses up and running in some way now. This week alone I had a washing machine delivered, a water filtration system serviced, my windows washed by a window cleaner and I picked up plants from outside a local wholesale grower.

If the OP's car dealership business is opening to the public on 18th May then coming in 5 working days earlier to work alone behind the scenes is hardly putting himself and others at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Your opinion means nothing to the reality of the situation.

The €350 payment is for people to stay home in the Republic of Ireland being from the North you are free to move around down here without any restrictions.

The €350 is for residents of the Republic of Ireland only to which you are not.

Your posts make you sound like a spoiled child you know the ones that cry
    thats not fair

Your employer can provide you with a letter saying you are needed the Police up there and not going to drive into the Republic to check.

You will not be breaking any law and you will not be risking health.

Why should you work for an extra €100 per week?
    The real question is why the government should pay you dole when you have a job?

If you are refusing to work I think you should be told to access the welfare system in the jurisdiction in which you live.

I am not having a go at you I am just pointing out what you are dancing around you started the thread not any of us.

It sounds like you are enjoying the lazy life on the dole you have a job I think you should go and do it.
    If I was running that business and you refused me now you would be the last person to be rehired after this crisis and I suspect that is how your boss will see it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Could you not go in one or two days a week, take a load of pictures, get the information you need and work from home the other days? I know you’re still technically breaching reatrictions, but less so than at 5 days, and at less cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

For many people who have been off work for 8 weeks , particularly those in rural areas who don't see anyone, there seems to be an irrational fear of leaving the house. They have almost become institutionalized.

You're saying this like it's a fact. For balance I live in a rural area and this is anything but true in my experience.

As for the OP. You clearly have your mind made up already. What exactly are you looking for here?

Advertisement