Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I go back to work?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

If-you-really-want-to-do-something-you-will-find.jpg
    jlm29 wrote: »
    Could you not go in one or two days a week, take a load of pictures, get the information you need and work from home the other days? I know you’re still technically breaching reatrictions, but less so than at 5 days, and at less cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭dubrov

Something doesn't add up about this.

If the OP is living in NI, they would only be entitled to claim unemployment benefit from the UK irrespective of where they pay taxes. PRSI contributions are transferable from ROI to the UK.
    The OP would also be able to claim any Covid19 payments in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

There is a huge FEAR culture now which seems to have replaced common sense. We NEED to get back to work, not make excuses not to. For many people who have been off work for 8 weeks , particularly those in rural areas who don't see anyone, there seems to be an irrational fear of leaving the house. They have almost become institutionalized.

I and many people have been out and about for weeks, shopping, working, walking, seeing lots of other people doing the same. Eventually we will have to take the risk and get back to life of sorts. There is no absolutely guarantee of 100% safety. If people want to give up their job, stay cocooned for ever, in fear of their lives then that is their option.
    There are many many businesses up and running in some way now. This week alone I had a washing machine delivered, a water filtration system serviced, my windows washed by a window cleaner and I picked up plants from outside a local wholesale grower.

If the OP's car dealership business is opening to the public on 18th May then coming in 5 working days earlier to work alone behind the scenes is hardly putting himself and others at risk.
    Yep I’m absolutely doing all the above. 100%. Using sleeves, kicking doors open and shut (enjoying that bit!)
    I also have wipes and home made sanitizer . My point (per my original post) is that most people aren’t doing this at work. I’m 60, most of my team are in their twenties. Guess I’m just trying my best. I feel my (Government) employer is not being responsible where so many people work together sharing facilities.

After this week I’m not going in anymore, hoping there is a total shutdown on non-essential office workplaces by then.

That is some u-turn in attitude. Why has your work suddenly become essential?

Just to point out that most people are limiting social contact and staying indoors for those around them. For those in risk categories who will have severe problems if the virus gets out of control, overwhelms and collapses our health system. This is not fear but a contribution to society. Playing our part as the Taoiseach has pointed out numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Can you not update the website from home? Maybe someone nearer can look after the flat batteries or agree to travel one day a week to take care of that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

OP, you are being lazy by not wanting to return to work and your employer will remember it when they re-open fully and only need half the staff they have at the moment.

That's fine and dandy if you want to live off 203 euro off the state every week, just carry on on that so.

• Advertisement

That is some u-turn in attitude. Why has your work suddenly become essential?

.....because I am a temporary civil servant taken on for 9 months for a specific contract (at the lowest grade of pay).

When Covid 19 arrived the demand in my sector instantly stopped. We were let go for 2 weeks until they regrouped and redeployed us to other essential services I'm doing completely different work now and I'm delighted to be busy and working. It is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

OP you are working outside whats the problem? I work in IT with a company of about 3k users and we have people arriving in the office like a conveyor belt with laptop and mobile phone issues we are required to repair. Probably 50 to 100 people a day land at my desk and will stay there for sometimes 20 minutes or more or you could have multiple users arriving all at once it is madness we also have deliveries constantly arriving of IT equipment. Also we have two more engineers who visits users at their desk who pop in and out of the office every 20 minutes to collect equipment. These laptops and mobile phones are fifthly it is heaven for the cronavirus in there.

Maybe reading this will make you think again about your little rant of not wanting to check car batteries outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

OP you are working outside whats the problem? I work in IT with a company of about 3k users and we have people arriving in the office like a conveyor belt with laptop and mobile phone issues we are required to repair. Probably 50 to 100 people a day land at my desk and will stay there for sometimes 20 minutes or more or you could have multiple users arriving all at once it is madness we also have deliveries constantly arriving of IT equipment. Also we have two more engineers who visits users at their desk who pop in and out of the office every 20 minutes to collect equipment. These laptops and mobile phones are fifthly it is heaven for the cronavirus in there.

Maybe reading this will make you think again about your little rant of not wanting to check car batteries outdoors. :cool:

.....because I am a temporary civil servant taken on for 9 months for a specific contract (at the lowest grade of pay).

When Covid 19 arrived the demand in my sector instantly stopped. We were let go for 2 weeks until they regrouped and redeployed us to other essential services I'm doing completely different work now and I'm delighted to be busy and working. It is essential.

Good for you. You seemed to have weighed up the risks and decided that that they are worth it in your situation. I am lucky that I don't have to make that choice as my job is WFH. I don't think I would make the same decision in your shoes but I can't speak to that as I am entirely different generation. Work has always just been about money for me and I don't derive any sense of purpose or well being from it. Good luck with the new position.

Good for you. You seemed to have weighed up the risks and decided that that they are worth it in your situation. I am lucky that I don't have to make that choice as my job is WFH. I don't think I would make the same decision in your shoes but I can't speak to that as I am entirely different generation. Work has always just been about money for me and I don't derive any sense of purpose or well being from it. Good luck with the new position.

when you're essential services you wont really have a choice to weigh up the risks and decide if its worth it?:confused: I work in the public sector (public services = serving the public) and its essential. I dont get to say I'm not going to work. I am working in the section of Covid 19 payments actually :rolleyes::rolleyes:, keeping those at home paid in these times for the princely sum of €385 myself.

I'm happy enough to do it and I dont see any issue. We have restrictions on numbers at any one time in the building, hand sanitizers and social distancing as much as possible. The country is going to have to face getting back to work sooner or later, everyone will have to take a certain element of risk if they want to actually have a life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Typical modern Irish attitude this

That's what years of government enablement begets.

when you're essential services you wont really have a choice to weigh up the risks and decide if its worth it?:confused: I work in the public sector (public services = serving the public) and its essential. I dont get to say I'm not going to work. I am working in the section of Covid 19 payments actually :rolleyes::rolleyes:, keeping those at home paid in these times for the princely sum of €385 myself.

I'm happy enough to do it and I dont see any issue. We have restrictions on numbers at any one time in the building, hand sanitizers and social distancing as much as possible. The country is going to have to face getting back to work sooner or later, everyone will have to take a certain element of risk if they want to actually have a life.

As others did for you in the last 8 weeks. I am presuming you could have said no?

It does strike me though that processing Covid payments is something that could be done with a WFH team. Please don't tell me that part of that work needs to be done in an office. I work across mutiple complex systems with teams members to build software and the fact the governement can't setup a team like this to process Covid payments is mindbloggling.

I could certainly choose to pay my tax in NI, I wouldn’t have to pay USC. However I am happy enough to continue to pay higher rates of tax in the country I work in. In my opinion this should entitle me to the same benefits as my work mates if and when we are laid off. As you say i can’t have it both ways, that’s why I choose to pay higher tax in normal times, expecting higher benefits when laid off.

But you are getting the same. Your getting unemployment benefit as you were dismissed from your job.

You are not getting covid payment as that's a payment to residents I believe and for people furloughed from work as a result of covid. It's an exceptional event and scheme that's been introduced by the government of the republic of Ireland for the residents of the state. Presumable the government also expected this money to be spent on essentials within the state.

When you live in a different justification, you have to understand that it will have both pros and cons. Just the way it is I'm afraid.

As others did for you in the last 8 weeks. I am presuming you could have said no?

It does strike me though that processing Covid payments is something that could be done with a WFH team. Please don't tell me that part of that work needs to be done in an office. I work across mutiple complex systems with teams members to build software and the fact the governement can't setup a team like this to process Covid payments is mindbloggling.

Wfh is still working though.

And you really don't understand how behind the times and arkward the public sector is when it comes to infrastructure and it systems.

Rodin wrote: »
    Any income earned in the ROI must have tax paid there.
    You may also have a tax bill at home but given the UKs bands are much higher it is unlikely you would have a liability there.

Someone living in south and working in north may well have a tax liability in both.

There's a double taxation agreement in place since the 1970s so no, someone working in the south won't also be taxed on the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Stay at home, no point getting sick over €100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

There's a double taxation agreement in place since the 1970s so no, someone working in the south won't also be taxed on the north.

They would if the tax band was lower in the north.
    The double taxation is designed so people don't get taxed on the same amount twice.

Because tax is higher in the south, there is nothing left to pay in the north.
    But someone living in the south and working in the north is likely to have an excess to pay in the south - if they're being above board.

No, unless I had a vulnerable person at home, young kids off school, or had an underlying condition myself I would have no valid reason for not going in to an essential job in the public service. Its not an option.

As for working from home? Some departments can, some cant. I am redeployed for the moment so have no idea of the systems needed to WFH in this department. If the Govermént dont have this setup in place you'd have to take it up with them. I am only a temporary employee on redeployment, I'm just doing the job I was asked to do and have no valid reason for not doing it.

If I wasn't in the public sector I would have a valid reason. As public servants its a bit different. You are expected to work as you are being paid out of public monies.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Didn't read the whole thread but just wondered how you are claiming the 203 jobseekers benefit. If you reside in Northern Ireland you are entitled to it from the North, at their rate, only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

TheBeach wrote: »
    Didn't read the whole thread but just wondered how you are claiming the 203 jobseekers benefit. If you reside in Northern Ireland you are entitled to it from the North, at their rate, only.

He pays tax here so has enough PRSI credits to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

There is a paper form as well as an online form, there need to be people physically in an office to process the paper claim forms.

Rodin wrote: »
    They would if the tax band was lower in the north.
    The double taxation is designed so people don't get taxed on the same amount twice.

Because tax is higher in the south, there is nothing left to pay in the north.
    But someone living in the south and working in the north is likely to have an excess to pay in the south - if they're being above board.

That's not how it works.

His income has been assessed by the relevant agency. It can't be assessed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

As a side note, the €350 PUP payment is an economic stimulus measure over and above the standard JSB of €203, having additional cash in the economy helps prevent other people still working by keeping those in receipt of it spending money they wouldn't if they were on the basic rate.

Due to movement restrictions people residing outside the state wouldn't be putting the money back into the Irish economy, it'd be going into the UK economy in this case, I can see how it would be viewed as unfair, but thats the way it was set up.

The OP's employer could have re-hired him and put him on the TWSS instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭dubrov

He pays tax here so has enough PRSI credits to claim.

He doesn't live here so can't claim it here.

The PRSI credits are transferable to the North where he is entitled to claim along with any Covid19 payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eugenia Iliopoulou

Money wise it’s not really worth it but since you are concerned you might lose your job you should probably go back.

Maybe it would be a good idea to look for something close to your home though.

dubrov wrote: »
    He doesn't live here so can't claim it here.

The PRSI credits are transferable to the North where he is entitled to claim along with any Covid19 payments.

When it becomes means tested. Benefit is based on prsi and not residency. Job seekers allowance he won't get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The OP seems to have abandoned this thread two possibilities.

One. He has gone to bed to prepare for his early start back to work.

Two. He can not face this thread as his lazy work-shy attitude has been called out by most of the posters on this thread.

My feeling is two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

When it becomes means tested. Benefit is based on prsi and not residency. Job seekers allowance he won't get

Yes that was my understanding. He can claim job seekers benifit for as long as his PRSI credits allow. He will not be able to claim job seekers allowance.

It's only fair that he can claim the €203 for now after paying PRSI.

• Advertisement

GSBellew wrote: »
    There is a paper form as well as an online form, there need to be people physically in an office to process the paper claim forms.

Yeah I get a small number of people will be needed in the office but it should be real skeleton crew stuff. You are talking about a tiny minority that shouldn't be forced to claim online. Then you are talking about a tiny minority of people that need to be in the office to scan that data into a computer and let the remote team take care of the rest.

Advertisement