Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel all inclusive booking

Options
  • 10-05-2020 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭

I searched for an appropriate thread but the closes I could find was ryanair and I didn’t want to send that off topic

Right so I have a holiday booked for the 4th if June with Ryanair to Gran Canaria For 2 weeks all inclusive, I had the option when booking of adding €250 For cancellation but I didn’t bother with it.
    So my query is where do I stand with the hotel regarding refund options, I haven’t heard from them and looking at the dates on the booking section they are planning to open in June and a report on the news said it’s going to be for locals and then Spanish tourists and then outside Europe towards November.
    I’m expecting Ryanair to contact soon about cancellation of the flights and I’m hoping that goes smoothly.

I paid using Revolut and have no insurance, I normally take out insurance before we leave
    Any advice or where to go for advice would be great

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

OmegaGene wrote:
    Right so I have a holiday booked for the 4th if June with Ryanair to Gran Canaria For 2 weeks all inclusive, I had the option when booking of adding €250 For cancellation but I didn’t bother with it. So my query is where do I stand with the hotel regarding refund options, I haven’t heard from them and looking at the dates on the booking section they are planning to open in June and a report on the news said it’s going to be for locals and then Spanish tourists and then outside Europe towards November. I’m expecting Ryanair to contact soon about cancellation of the flights and I’m hoping that goes smoothly.

I'd contact them immediately, 4th of June is less than a month away, definitely wouldn't be waiting for Ryanair..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

OmegaGene wrote:
    So if I drop them an email saying currently there are no flights and travel has been advised against by the government etc and see what they say ? Ideally I would like a refund and book again when things calm down, but I heard an expert on the radio saying not to cancel hotels and let the hotels cancel or you could lose entitlement to a refund

OmegaGene wrote:
    Sorry for the bizarre reply but I don’t want to put my foot in it and lose the money or even a rebooking if it comes to it

Hmmm, it's a tricky one. I've heard Ryanair are inundated with requests/cancellations etc. I'd be worried about how 'organised' they are in terms of contacting you, especially at present..

Maybe someone else could advise, who's had experience with Ryanair and the current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ryanair or any airline won't cancel the flight till the Last minute. This way you might cancel & they won't have to refund you a penny.

It sounds like you booked & paid for the flights separately to the hotel? If you booked it all through Ryanair then the hotel not allowed to take non Spanish guests is enough & Ryanair are responsible for the whole trip. If you booked separately then the hotel not taking non Spanish has nothing to do with Ryanair.

You could contact the hotel & see what they say about that part.

Even if everything gets cancelled it will take months & months to get refunds. Again this isn't exclusive to Ryanair though many posters will try convince you otherwise. I've had two trips cancelled involving Ryanair, Aer Lingus, British Airways and Iloveholidays. First trip was end of March. No movement at all on refunds. I'm not in a hurry so long as they don't go bust before I'm sorted

OmegaGene wrote:
    The hotel was booked separately to the flight, I’m not in a rush as it were and I understand companies are swamped at the moment, I just don’t want to put my foot in it and lose any chance of getting anything back from the hotel.

You'll have to wait for Ryanair to cancel the flight so & they are only doing this a few days before take-off. Fingers crossed you'll have better luck with the hotel. If they do refund you, I'd imagine they'll issue refund swiftly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Ryanair book hotels through third party providers like hotels.com, travelopia etc.

You need to check your booking confirmation and see who is providing the accommodation.

It will then depend on what that company’s cancellation policy is for the hotel. I had a non-refundable hotel booked through hotels.com for May and when I logged onto my account, I was pleasantly surprised to find they are offering free cancellation. Took me 2 mins to cancel and have already received the refund.

Ryanair are only offering credits for flights right now I believe so that’s probably the best you can hope for the flights from them.

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I didn’t use any booking facility I booked direct with the hotel as I’ve been there before

Contact them and ask what your options are? I’d imagine you’ll be offered a credit. They are under no obligation to refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cd76

I searched for an appropriate thread but the closes I could find was ryanair and I didn’t want to send that off topic

Right so I have a holiday booked for the 4th if June with Ryanair to Gran Canaria For 2 weeks all inclusive, I had the option when booking of adding €250 For cancellation but I didn’t bother with it.
    So my query is where do I stand with the hotel regarding refund options, I haven’t heard from them and looking at the dates on the booking section they are planning to open in June and a report on the news said it’s going to be for locals and then Spanish tourists and then outside Europe towards November.
    I’m expecting Ryanair to contact soon about cancellation of the flights and I’m hoping that goes smoothly.

I paid using Revolut and have no insurance, I normally take out insurance before we leave
    Any advice or where to go for advice would be great
    Looks like you have lost all except the voucher that Ryanair will offer you, but do try contacting the hotel direct and asking them will they allow you re-book(probably best opting for summer 2021 at this stage) or a full refund(slim chance).

Do always take out Travel Insurance including for cancellation in the event of a global pandemic.
    Do not take out the Insurance with the travel company.
    Take it out with a registered Insurance company underwritten by Lloyds of London. You can view their details at www/Lloyds.com Their number is +44 (0)20 7327 1000

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnYerPike

Back in March I booked Ryanair flights to Lanzarote for early next year. While on the Ryanair website I booked, and paid for, the hotel which could be cancelled, with full refund, anytime up to a day before arrival. That booking was for an hotel via Hotels.com.

I subsequently spotted a better option, also on Ryanair website but this time via Hotelopia.com, so booked and paid for this one, cancelled the original (19th March) and received a full refund (6th April). This new booking could also be cancelled, with full refund, anytime up to a day before arrival.

I've since cancelled that booking and re-booked the same suite not once but twice, each time for a lesser price, saving me just over €240 in total.

First cancellation was 24th March, refunded in full 7th May. It was supposed to have been within 5 to 20 working days but I'm not complaining. Second cancellation was 30th March, still awaiting refund but I expect it within the next couple of days.

I'm holding onto the final booking but, as before, I can cancel at any time and receive a full refund if I do cancel.

What I'm getting at is booking via the Ryanair website, even if not flying with them, allows you to hold the room/suite, keep looking around and cancel, at no cost, if you find something better or can't fly for whatever reason.

I'll also enjoy over €85 credit with Ryanair once I've honoured the booking. The same is true for car hire, fully cancellable and comes with 5% Ryanair credit once you've honoured the booking.

Hopefully things work out for you, OP. Keep us updated.

OnYerPike wrote:
    What I'm getting at is booking via the Ryanair website, even if not flying with them, allows you to hold the room/suite, keep looking around and cancel, at no cost, if you find something better or can't fly for whatever reason.

This isn't always the case. Some hotels (even through Ryanair website) offer better deals if you pay in full & agree to the no cancellation policy. It seems OP opted for this option. OP can't cancel. Only way they can get money back is if the hotel cancel

that is exactly it and i think i need to email them with a carefully worded query as to what happens, if i cancel i am screwed

You are overthinking this. It doesn’t need to be carefully worded. You just say “I have a booking for x date. My government is prohibiting foreign travel at this time. Can you please advise me of my options?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Surely if they're opening in June for locals and then for Spanish guests they won't be accepting guests from Ireland on the 4th. So regardless of what our government say, it's their government that is restricting them. Focus on that, put the problem back on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Have you looked at the hotel website for any information on cancellation policy re Covid 19? I've an AI hotel booked in Fuerteventura for September & the hotel is being very flexible towards even those who booked a non refundable / no cancellation cheaper rate than the more expensive pay on arrival rate

Maybe I am, I’m normally quite good at looking at things simply but losing the money might be clouding my judgement
    Someone on the local radio said they emailed their hotel about a booking saying they can’t possibly come because travel abroad wasn’t allowed and the hotel said sorry about that But flights are operating bye, they started a charge back with Revolut so who know where that will end up

No one here can tell you how the hotel will react except the hotel. It doesn’t matter what some hotel on the radio did. You need to engage with your accommodation. And try not to expect the worst. Most providers are being reasonable.

There are no laws to protect you here because the current situation is so new that no one could have forseen anything like this. Just talk to them. Ask them what their plans are and what they would recommend.

Hotel replied last night and said I can have a voucher for 12 months so at least I have a reply which is good

I wonder if you wait closer to the date & non Spanish aren't allowed (by the Spanish government) to stay in Spanish Hotel would you be entitled to a refund. It does look like the Spanish government won't allow the hotel to let you stay. I'm thinking refund in this case but a voucher is a result too

ideally i would prefer a voucher and that is the line i will be taking with my reply

Happy days. It's always easier to get a voucher than a cash refund. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

ideally i would prefer a refund and that is the line i will be taking with my reply but a voucher would do

It's a brave person taking a voucher at this stage. You really don't know how many of these businesses will still be operating in 6 months time.

Advertisement