Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any public toilets in the city centre during quarantine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Open a public toilet and it would be destroyed in a few days by two legged animals who pass as people.
    We'd be better off with the old pissoirs like they have in France. Out in the open and you can see feet and heads so they wouldn't attract junkies, muggers, vandals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,271 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Back in the day many Dublin nightclubs had bathroom attendants and every restaurant/bar has to keep their bathrooms clean.

Do you think it's demeaning?

Way to dodge the question by offering an obvious statement and asking another question.
    Are you in politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Back in the day many Dublin nightclubs had bathroom attendants and every restaurant/bar has to keep their bathrooms clean.

Do you think it's demeaning?

Massively different to a public toilet though.

Youd be more security guard than toilet attendant. So youre either a security guard thats also expected to clean toilets or a person employed to clean and maintain toilets thats also expected to deal with scumbags and junkies in an enclosed space.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

listermint wrote: »
    Aren't you meant to be in work or home..

Taking a relative to donate blood. This is on the list of essential reasons to leave home.

I have problems with my kidneys so need to know in advance.

Does anyone know if Connoly or Heuston station have open toilets now?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Oh Brown Thomas has some too. When I lived in London my area had some kind of community toilet scheme where local businesses would sign up to it so that the council could list their premises as having public toilets. There was a map showing where they were as you exited the tube station.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I have the same problem and i didnt find anything. Our shop doesnt have bathroom. Luckly im alone there and just use a bottle.

is the legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I nearly pooped myself when I went for a cycle to Grand Canal Dock, this was before the total lockdown. I just had to get back on my bike and peg it home; I was sweating buckets, but I made it thankfully.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Galbin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Connoly or Heuston station have open toilets now?

Thanks.

If you are allowed accompany the person inside, there are toilets in the blood clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

miamee wrote: »
    If you are allowed accompany the person inside, there are toilets in the blood clinic.

Only people with appointments for donation are allowed to enter the blood bank at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Hmm. I’m not getting the whole “for everyone’s safety toilets are closed”

There was a massive stank of piss all over the Northside in the sun today.

Surely it’s unhealthy to have people pissing everywhere too.

fatknacker wrote: »
    Hmm. I’m not getting the whole “for everyone’s safety toilets are closed”

There was a massive stank of piss all over the Northside in the sun today.

Surely it’s unhealthy to have people pissing everywhere too.

Yes, especially since scientists discovered a few years back that urine is *not* sterile and has a microbiome (whole host of good and bad bacteria) just like the gut.

Anyhow, I can confirm that Connelly station toilets had cleaning signs up, but the attendants told me to go right ahead and use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Galbin wrote: »
    Yes, especially since scientists discovered a few years back that urine is *not* sterile and has a microbiome (whole host of good and bad bacteria) just like the gut.

Anyhow, I can confirm that Connelly station toilets had cleaning signs up, but the attendants told me to go right ahead and use them.
    Oooh Matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,898 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

listermint wrote: »
    Go at work.....

Or home............

Some people may need a toilet a lot more frequently than most, e.g. Crohn's disease. Dublin really is appalling in its lack of provision of public toilets.

(Under normal circumstances) We're happy to have people drink pints all night and then chuck them out on the street with bladders that are still filling up from that last pint and give them "nowhere to go". The Dutch, as usual, are a very pragmatic people and they have provided pop-up urinals in Amsterdam and other cities. Paris had its pissoirs - we actually had these in the city centre many years ago until some eejit decided to remove them. So now we have people p*ssing in alleyways because they have nowhere else to go.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    what about busaras

Busaras IS a toilet :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I was in Riga, Latvia, last year. At the height of their summer festival. They have plentiful public toilets, all perfectly clean & well respected. Don’t know how they are able to provide what are essential facilities and the lines of us can’t because of the abuse of such facilities in Ireland.

Yeah but other countries can respect public facilities, in Ireland somebody would probably poo on the floor, p1ss all over the toilet seat, and dump cans, syringes, rubbish, etc in there.

Its just why we can't have nice things. They get wrecked by scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Public toilets in Heuston and criminal courts on Parkgate Street were open on Friday. I went for a walk in the Phoenix Park and was caught short, lots of people about so didn't want to pee in the bushes or whatever.

It is a joke that there's no public toilets in the city though. I get the bus on Hawkins Street most evenings and the stink of urine along the stretch of bus stops beside Department of Health building is horrific.

Its just why we can't have nice things. They get wrecked by scumbags

Remember when lots of people predicted that Dublin Bikes would end up in the canal or the Liffey? It didn't happen. If we give in to the scumbag element then all is lost.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Remember when lots of people predicted that Dublin Bikes would end up in the canal or the Liffey? It didn't happen. If we give in to the scumbag element then all is lost.

That was because people didn't understand how the thing worked, i.e. you have to register your credit card and if the bike ends up in the Liffey, you fork out for it.

If the bikes were left lying around, do you think it'd be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's very much the (welcome) exception though.

They tried those pod toilets in Dublin about 10 or 15 years ago, and they just became glorified shooting-up galleries and had to be taken away again.

Well - crazy idea here - but if we provide safe areas for addicts to inject, then we can have alleyways and toilets free of shooting-up junkies. It's better for the unfortunates hooked on drugs, and it's certainly better for the rest of us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Well - crazy idea here - but if we provide safe areas for addicts to inject, then we can have alleyways and toilets free of shooting-up junkies. It's better for the unfortunates hooked on drugs, and it's certainly better for the rest of us...

Why does every thread have to get hijacked and side stepped by the plight of the junkies and the Giant homeless roadshow, much of which is bogus.

We need public toilets. They need to be clean and safe. I am happy to pay to use. Not too much too ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I read an article it says the city council is considering
    providing new public toilets in the city centre, this is more of a problem now since most cafes are still closed. All pubs are closed. The toilets in the jervis centre, and iliac centre are still closed as far at least the last time I checked about a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Why did they get rid of the pay booths that wash down after leaving and have a 20 minute time limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

20 minute time limit? How long do most people spend in the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lux23 wrote: »
    20 minute time limit? How long do most people spend in the toilet?

The limit isn't set for "most people", it's set for the exceptions, people with medical conditions or disabilities, or parents with children etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DCC are constructing temporary public toilets to be in use by Monday.

https://www.thejournal.ie/public-toilets-dublin-3-5116502-Jun2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

L1011 wrote: »

These are a great idea, but I hope that the city council will invest in installing them more permanently in more locations. The Covid-19 lockdown shows how reliant we are on cafés, pubs, shopping centres and hotels to provide toilet facilities in the city centre. That's an unfair burden on businesses and it's insufficient for the public, especially when so many of our transport hubs are "drop-off points" rather than station buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

adam88 wrote: »
    Some people don’t have that luxury. People will be further prisoners
    Some people may need a toilet a lot more frequently than most, e.g. Crohn's disease. Dublin really is appalling in its lack of provision of public toilets :

I have Crohns Disease and the relaxation of travel restrictions won’t be any benefit to me until this issue is resolved. With bowel disease you often don’t have the luxury of holding it in until you get home.
    The toilets in Busaras are rancid but they are the only ones open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

L1011 wrote: »

They look great from the outside, they are still portaloos.
    I imagine that if any are put together north of the river they won't be as visually appealing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement