Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs not on leads

• 10-05-2020 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭

Can I ask the dog owners on here why some dog owners do not keep their dogs on a lead when walking them in public ? I was out running earlier and met a Doberman and an Alsatian coming around a corner with no leads let alone muzzles and the owner strolling along behind them about 100 yards away and the lead in his hand. This was not an unusual thing to see but to see two such dangerous dogs running free in public today really shocked me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ismat wrote: »
    Can I ask the dog owners on here why some dog owners do not keep their dogs on a lead when walking them in public ? I was out running earlier and met a Doberman and an Alsatian coming around a corner with no leads let alone muzzles and the owner strolling along behind them about 100 yards away and the lead in his hand. This was not an unusual thing to see but to see two such dangerous dogs running free in public today really shocked me
    Some people are d#cks?
    Some dog owners are d#cks?

I have a small french bulldog who I do let off the leash when it's quiet in the park.
    I also have to seriously be careful and avoid alsatians especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Because their dog has great training and temperament and wouldn't harm a fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I used to have a dog and it made me feel good to let him run free and enjoy himself. They adore running free and they adore you back for letting them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I used to have a dog and it made me feel good to let him run free and enjoy himself. They adore running free and they adore you back for letting them

So thats OK then. Typical entitled dog owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Truthvader wrote: »

Calm the jets there Monsieur Keyboard Warrior.

I merely answered the question that was asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dogs don't need to be on a lead when out in public legally. They should be under control though. Some public parks require dogs on lead during certain hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Dogs don't need to be on a lead when out in public legally. They should be under control though. Some public parks require dogs on lead during certain hours.

Do Doberman’s and Alsatians not need to be muzzled and on leads when out in public ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Kind of off topic but related.
    I love hiking. Years ago you could walk most trails of the major mountains in Ireland with a dog on a lead.
    But because some people would not keep the dog on a lead there is a full ban on dogs on the more popular mountain trails.
    Now I can't hike with my dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Restricted breeds have to be on a lead and muzzled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Let my dog off the lead all the time in the local park and when up the mountains etc.. Now he's only a medium sized long legged terrier and has no interest in approaching humans only chasing squirrels and his ball and has great recall. Wouldn't chance it with a shepard or doberman though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Truthvader wrote: »

There's no requirement for dogs of most types to be on leads in many places. A lot of people don't realise this and come across badly when they try to admonish others on their misunderstanding.

OP, why didn't you ask the owner instead of expecting people on the internet to answer for a complete stranger?

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's no requirement for dogs of most types to be on leads in many places. A lot of people don't realise this and come across badly when they try to admonish others on their misunderstanding.

I’m not talking about most breeds of dogs in this instance but specifically a Doberman and an Alistain. As usual I met loads of other dogs of lead but most of these were small dogs that can’t do much harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

I had 2 Golden Labs, properly trained. I could walk the length of my home town and back again with one each side of me and they wouldn't budge from my side even if we met another dog.
    Not many like that though and if someone has a dog off a lead without being able to control it they are idiots.

I remember years ago I was out on the local pitch down at the very end. An idiot comes in with 2 German shepherds off leads. They ran the length of the pitch and went for myself and my dogs. Eventually ran off back to the fool who owned them.
    I told my dogs to sit and stay before walking up to top of pitch to tell that dikhead what I thought of him.
    Walked back down the pitch to my 2 who were still sitting waiting for me.

Unless you have this level of control your dog should be on a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Just sick to death of walking through dog**** and dealing with retarded dog owners grinning foolishly at me and saying "he's just playing" as their filthy dogs jump all over my terrified children.

Jets cool as possible in the circumstaces

unhappys10 wrote: »
    I had 2 Golden Labs, properly trained. I could walk the length of my home town and back again with one each side of me and they wouldn't budge from my side even if we met another dog.
    Not many like that though and if someone has a dog off a lead without being able to control it they are idiots.

I remember years ago I was out on the local pitch down at the very end. An idiot comes in with 2 German shepherds off leads. They ran the length of the length of the pitch and went for myself and my dogs. Eventually ran off back to the fool who owned them.
    I told my dogs to sit and stay before walking up to top of pitch to tell that dikhead what I thought of him.
    Walked back down the pitch to my 2 who were still sitting waiting for me.

Unless you have this level of control your dog should be on a lead.

I met a lady this morning with two Irish wolfhounds that were probably actually bigger than me.
    I could see straight away that these dogs were no threat to anyone despite their size as they just had the appearance of being obedient
    Having said that she didn’t have them on a lead either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It depends on the dog. I could say the same thing about the amount of a$$hole runners I meet out while walking my dog, particularly a guy who kicked my dog while running but that would be generalizing like you're doing. All dogs are different, some are perfectly fine off lead like mine who is trained to walk beside me minus a lead, the lead is just backup in case there are other dogs about.

What did the Alsatian and Doberman do to you to make you so upset, did they growl at you, bark at you, bite you? I bet they didn't even look at you, you're just mad for an ould moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I’m not talking about most breeds of dogs in this instance but specifically a Doberman and an Alistain. As usual I met loads of other dogs of lead but most of these were small dogs that can’t do much harm.

That part of the reply was in response to the post I quoted.

Owner was the best person to answer your question.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    Discussions like this pop up in the Animals & Pets forum from time to time. Whilst I understand the frustration caused by out-of-control dogs, the users of this forum are generally not the people to aim your anger at, because the regulars here are generally responsible owners.
    It can be hurtful and angering to those who take great care that their dogs don't affect others
    when folks come here and paint every owner with the one brush, or indeed refer to dogs and their owners in very negative, nasty terms.
    I think the first reply sums up the issue...
    Some people are dicks.
    Some dog owners are dicks.
    You're not going to find the people responsible in this forum.

I think we'll leave it at that.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Because they have no fear of any consequence. And they're right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement