Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shutdown issue on new build.

Options
  • 11-05-2020 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

This one has me nearly pulling out my hair. I finished my first build in nearly twenty years on Friday and all seemed to go well until I shutdown the computer.

When I went to Power on again, nothing happened. I had to plug out the PSU, wait a few minutes and then power on again.

After trying a few different things, it looks like whenever I shut down the computer normally, the power button doesn't work to switch back on. If I shut down using SHIFT to disable fast boot, it works fine. Same as restarting, everything is fine.

My initial suspicion was that it might be PSU related but then I'm wondering why a full shutdown or restart doesn't give me any issues, but Windows fast boot enabled shutdown (the default for Windows) does. I thought some of the front panel connectors might have been wrong, but then if they were, it wouldn't power on at all when pressed!

I could just continue with fast boot disabled, but I'd rather get to the bottom of the problem. Any ideas what could be causing it?

QywTSBP.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

May i check that this is a fully reproducible problem?

The simplest explanation that came to my head was a loose connected that when you removed the PSU and waited, then plugged back in, that it temporarily fixed the connection somewhere. Its fully reproducible and consistent?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I made sure the cable was properly connected last night but it actually tripped the entire main circuit board in the house. I haven't been able to replicate the issue this morning though. I'm leaning towards thinking it's something to do with the PSU and how long the PC has been running?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

How are you connecting the PC to the wall (e.g. multiplug)
    And what amperage fuse is in the PSU cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

AdMMM wrote: »
    When I went to Power on again, nothing happened. I had to plug out the PSU, wait a few minutes and then power on again.
    Much tweaking done in UEFI? "Fast/Ultra fast boot" in particular?

No, that was disabled. Obviously as luck would have it, I haven't had these issue today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Sounds like one of the PSU cables is shorting, If it happens again try stretching out and separating all the unused PSU cables and see if the problem persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fast start has issues with lots of mobos, it makes feck all difference. Turn it off, leave it off. Turn it off again when Windows 10 updates to a new version.

Sounds like one of the PSU cables is shorting, If it happens again try stretching out and separating all the unused PSU cables and see if the problem persists.
    I would have thought a shorting PSU cable would immediately turn off the PC though? This particular issue seems to have been resolved by opening the case and plugging everything back in.

An issue that remains is that occasionally the screen freezes, the monitor turns off, one of the fans (either CPU or GPU) briefly goes crazy and then goes back to idle. PC remains powered on but the only way to recover is to hard power off. This hasn't happened when gaming or doing anything that's drawing a lot of power - happens when I'm just looking at emails or browsing. What would I look for in Event Viewer to try get an idea of what's happening?

[edit]Found some error logs relating to RadeonSoftware.exe. Googling this shows that everyone else who gets it is also experiencing black screen immediately after. Looks like I've found the culprit.[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

RUN
    perfmon /rel

review notes there

Ah that was far easier than going through all the logs! Yeah, looks to be related to display drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement