Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Is that not the point.

The victim comes to the gardai and says 'thats my bike on adverts', the vendor being the presumed perpetrator. The 'police work' is done by the victim. And when I've heard of these cases before, the sting involved the theft victim going to the house with the gardai to identify the bike. The guards show up and make the arrest. What else exactly do they do here?

EDIT: I see your point, I am assuming that the victim identified the bike first and went to the gardai; rather than the gardai scrolling through 'used goods website.ie' looking for individual stolen bikes. In fairness, I would be very surprised if it was the latter rather than the former. That is a fair assumption here.

Related to this also, and this is something I've said to local politicians and to gardai in the past....

There are literally dozens of these guys on adverts. Easily identifiable. "Nice bike for sale" "Hybrid bike for sale". Vague ads, multiple bikes for sale, always selling, never buying, bikes of all shapes and sizes....and particular feature is that the bikes are usually not marked as 'sold', but rather as 'withdrawn' when the transaction completes. This has been going on for years. Any given part of Dublin you will find these people. Are any of them ever investigated?

THats why I am saying - why does it require somebody to go to gardai and say 'I have found my stolen bike, can you please make an arrest'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it happened a friend of mine. his bike was stolen, i posted about it in the stolen bikes forum here, and someone spotted it and he informed the gardai.

he did not go to the thief's house 'with the gardai' in the sense that they accompanied him; the gardai arranged the meet/sting and seized the bike before my friend was trotted out - he was there to be able to say 'this is my stolen bike'; i suspect this makes the arrest easier to justify.

as to why it was up to him to trawl adverts, donedeal etc.; do you think it makes sense for a garda to check every single bike listed on those sites against a list of known stolen bikes where the gardai more often than not have a vague description of what the bike looks like?

I think it would be very easy for the gardai to identify individuals on these sites who regularly sell bikes, never buy bikes and make thousands from the proceeds each year. These are not shops or businesses, they are individuals. And there are dozens of them, if not hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the point is, "we" can quite easily look at donedeal or adverts and spot the dodgy as feck looking adverts. I'd hope it's not beyond the gumption of at least one cop not to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I doubt very much if she didn't look.

It's really likely she didn't stop and look carefully enough in both directions. It's really common and something that should have a much higher emphasis in driver training material.

At a T junction that should always be Stop and look twice in both direction. Doing that will make it highly unlikely you miss someone who is in view.

There are still T junctions around country with yield rather than stop signs.

Some junctions are worse than other especially where minor road isn't perpendicular and large A pillar can cause issues like here

Pretty horrid cycle lane design to, where the presence of lane before junction increases risk to cyclist using lane

Broadmeadow Way slated to open in 2023 - Independent.ie

What ye think?

On the face of it, will be great to have investment in a cycle way.

However, part of me thinks this will cost gazillions to create a few kms of trophy cyclepath that could be better spent elsewhere. To put it differently, for the same money could you build an inland cycle path that is 20 times longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

"There was a collision between her vehicle and Ms Taveres' bike, which caused the cyclist to “travel towards the front” of the car where the complainant was struck and knocked from her bike."

WTF does that even mean ? Does a bike "travel" anywhere after getting hit by 1.5 tonnes of metal ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's less than the cost of half a kilometre of motorway, were you to phrase it in that way.

getting from donabate or portrane into town involves using unpleasant roads, if this can feed people into malahide, all the better. easier access to the portmarnock greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's the statement from her defence.

Always worded to make the whole thing see inevitable.

There first statement included that she had no helmet on. Like that matters when you are driven over.

• Advertisement

Thats a better way of looking at it.

I've started cycling out from Glasnevin to Malahide in the mornings - its probably my new favourite cycle route in the city, really nice to arrive in Portmarnock & the sea. And its pretty much safe all the way out. No crappy windy country roads with 80k or 100k speed limits. Having an option to push on beyond Malahide would certainly be very pleasant.

via the fairview-sutton cycleway?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It'll be worth every penny. Especially when the Fingal Coastal Way from Donabate to Balbriggan is built. Even on its own, it would do wonders for connectivity between the Malahide-Portmarnock area and Donabate.

And once the Portmarnock-Baldoyle Greenway is joined up with Malahide and Sutton, it'll be a coherent route from Balbriggan to Clontarf. And, eventually, all the way to Sandycove.

Yeah exactly - from where I am, its quiet roads as far as Griffith avenue cyclepath, down to Clontarf cycleway just at junction with Alfie Byrne road, out to Sutton, Baldoyle, Portmarnock, Malahide. Its a lovely cycle, especially done early in the morning. Taking in Hill of Howth makes it a proper work out, for me anyway.

isn't the dark blue path above frequently flooded also?

Regarding the stolen bikes on Done deal and adverts etc, one simple way to remove the ease of selling stolen property would be to

• Require the bike serial number as part of the ad contents
    • Photo of the bikes serial

Then simply provide an a pi to cross check against stolen bikes, any hits automatically flag to the local Gardai.

This will have some or all of the following effects

• Reduce the ease of getting rid of stolen bikes
    • Increase the detection rate of stolen property
    • Increase the arrest rate for this crime
    • Reduce the attraction of bikes as a theft option for a lot of thieves

There's a bit of work setting it up but once it's up and running it would all be automated

Sent an email on this to local TD about four years ago.

Yes its simple.

Who makes it happen?

Who makes it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Also mentions the cyclist now uses a wheelchair. Gardaí seemed fairly determined to go after this case from the sound if it and gathered cctv etc. With Nolan involved here though who knows what kind of a slap on the wrist will be handed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The selling platforms, Adverts, DoneDeal, should be making sure that they have verifiable ID for anyone who sells more than x bikes in a year, where x = 3 maybe or 5. This along with the serial number checks mentioned by @[Deleted User] would make a huge dent in bike theft and resales.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can go around the estuary , might have to walk for about 600 metres but can be down handily enough.

100% but really thats not the issue. We all agree this would improve the situation, and having been saying so for a while.

Where are all the stolen bikes going? — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

The issue is - who tells the selling platforms that this is something they need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Only two things will change it. Either people stop providing traffic to the selling sites by boycotting them, which won't happen, or laws will have to be passed something like the restriction on event resales and touting, which would limit or stop altogether the sale of bikes online. And whoever would be writing that particular law would need the wisdom of Solomon, because where do you stop with stolen goods, tools, car parts and so on.

They are horrendous. A moment of inattention? She panicked and put the foot down? If you are panicked in a car you turn off the engine.

one knock on effect of forcing people to divulge serial numbers can be illustrated by the fact that i haven't bought a bike new since 2004. if one of my bikes is stolen, one way i can prove i own it is by knowing the serial number, because it's known only to anyone who has physically had the bike in their possession. making that info public might kick out one of the most definitive ways of me proving my bike is mine.

There was piece on the cycling news site about Colnago using Blockchain to track ownership etc. Not sure how feasible it would be for every one to do it or how it would work in a private sale.

What if it was accompanied by a bike registry?

• Advertisement

A serial number is not that hard to find out if one wants to, in much the same way a car reg can be determined by looking at the front or back of the car, the same can be done by looking at the frame

Advertisement