Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

tomasrojo wrote: »
    They're handy enough for going around blind corners on two-way cycle tracks.

Squeaky brakes, pulled unnecessarily, were my alternative method, until I changed the pads.
    New 128km Irish greenway through three counties just given green light
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-greenway-through-three-counties-gets-green-light/

I really do think that the tourism and visitor potential that green ways will bring to areas they pass through is really underestimated. If you have a cafe, pub etc along or near enough to it and make an effort to cater for the passing trade, you'll ultimately become a destination and stop off for people using the green way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Grassey wrote: »
    FF fluff document on how great cycling is and how we need immediate action to capitalise on it.

Car free Dublin every Sunday,
    More segregation, more law enforcement, more everythijg

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/63507271/mobility-cycling-in-dublin-post-covid-19

The images chosen in that are very Dutch.

Haven't read it in detail, but it's much closer to a document the Greens would have produced than, say, the RSA.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Alan Dillon won't be too happy with his new coalition partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

As someone who uses a bell on a pretty heavy “you don’t want me slamming into you in this” cargo bike I can confirm that bells are absolutely useless and ignored by pedestrians.

I've had the opposite experience , noticed quite a few pedestrians stopping stepping out when I rang the bell .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SPDUB wrote: »
    I've had the opposite experience , noticed quite a few pedestrians stopping stepping out when I rang the bell .

Me too, I've had much better responses from pedestrians to the bell than to the much louder Hornit electronic device. I don't bother with the Hornit these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've seen people step out, step in, freeze, get angry, apologise and so on. I prefer just to slow and use the sound of my freewheel from a distance, or where possible, hop out onto the road. Some people use the bell politely, others don't and regrettably, people often presume your the latter and just either stay put or turn on you. Thankfully I am never in enough of a rush to need one, and the rare time it might be necessary I have quite a droll monotone accent that is just as effective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hopefully this ends with good news - teen missing in belfast, potentially after becoming disoriented after crashing while on his bike.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/noah-donohoe-search-police-issue-18476483

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

In other news scientists make 'water is wet' discovery. :rolleyes:
    I've been back training on track, wearing a buff. I wear one all the time anyway, apart from a few good days in August usually.

The resistance to masks I find indefensible. It's not about you, it's about protecting other people. Why the flip wouldn't you want to do that? It's not gonna cost you anything to wear something over your face to the shop, a scarf or buff even. Why wouldn't you want to protect others? And those more vulnerable than yourself? And allow those cocooning a safer time outside? They deserve to be out too!
    Grumble grumble!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Anyone else suffer the glasses-effect? - Mask on, breathe out, glasses fog up.

Back to the bell thing, when a motorist honks a horn it doesn't mean (or shouldn't at least, not matter how much the motorist wishes it to) - scatter out of the way, it's just an announcement of presence. The bell is the same. I don't wish walkers to be startled or expect them to clear a path, it's simply to let them know that a bike rider is approaching from behind and is about to negotiate his way past - safely and considerately. - I often found with the bell that walkers did sort of jump out of the way and apologies, and I'd be all "No, no, you're grand... thanks".

It's probably testament to the paucity of bellage that it's a surprise or an affront to the average walker.

fat bloke wrote: »

Andy Richter on Twitter mentioned putting the glasses nearer the bridge of your nose, and pulling the mask up tight to your face.

There's no recommendation to wear masks outdoors though, just in public transport, shops, or similar enclosed area where it's hard to keep a safe distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

eeeee wrote: »
    I've been back training on track, wearing a buff. I wear one all the time anyway, apart from a few good days in August usually.

I can't even wear one during the winter. I have it over my face for the first 5 or 10 minutes, it does its job and then I have to pull it down to my neck as I'm comfortably warm at that point and uncomfortable once my breathing rate is up. There's not a chance I could wear one during the summer doing anything other than shuffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

eeeee wrote: »
    In other news scientists make 'water is wet' discovery. :rolleyes:

The resistance to masks I find indefensible. It's not about you, it's about protecting other people. Why the flip wouldn't you want to do that? It's not gonna cost you anything to wear something over your face to the shop, a scarf or buff even. Why wouldn't you want to protect others? And those more vulnerable than yourself? And allow those cocooning a safer time outside? They deserve to be out too!
    Grumble grumble!

Don't get me started.

The worst are the bros with "Well I run ultra-marathons on Everest, do all natural movement, eat only organic gluten-free on a fat adapted schedule aligned with sunrise and sunset, read Anti-Fragile by Nicholas Taleb, therefore I have nothing to worry about catching coronavirus and if I pass it on to someone vulnerable, well then, they're just suffering the consequences of their unhealthy lifestyle choices".
    Followed by "ZOMG I just read this study that says if I wear a mask, I'll have 2% less oxygen walking around supermarket. My precious fragile body will never survive!!".
    Hurrache wrote:
    I can't even wear one during the winter. I have it over my face for the first 5 or 10 minutes, it does its job and then I have to pull it down to my neck as I'm comfortably warm at that point and uncomfortable once my breathing rate is up. There's not a chance I could wear one during the summer doing anything other than shuffling.

To be fair, I tried a buff myself and had the same experience, too uncomfortable to wear for a few minutes. I tried the disposable surgical masks things and they're a lot more comfortable, can happily wear one round a supermarket without really noticing. Haven't tried one running/cycling yet (I just keep away from people for the most part there). I was thinking of starting to bring one with me for running on narrow trails so I can put it on for sections where I need to pass walkers.

I'm still going on this:
    Wear a face covering in situations where it is difficult to practice social distancing. For example, in shops and on public transport.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

I don't think they've changed the recommendation, except to emphasise that they mean it about the masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm still going on this:

I don't think they've changed the recommendation, except to emphasise that they mean it about the masks.

Yeah don't think anyone is recommending them for high intensity exercise to be fair. I did need to vent about the people who proclaim themselves superhuman but apparently can't walk around a shop without going into oxygen debt.

I'm still going on this:

i was just over in the shop; i was the only person wearing a mask, no staff were (and only one of the staff who works there ever wears a mask habitually).
    weirdly, i was the only person to sanitise my hands going in. whatever about not having a mask, the sanitiser is provided for free.

My local SuperValu has a staff member at the door who directs you to use the hand sanitizer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i was just over in the shop; i was the only person wearing a mask, no staff were (and only one of the staff who works there ever wears a mask habitually).
    weirdly, i was the only person to sanitise my hands going in. whatever about not having a mask, the sanitiser is provided for free.
    Can't speak for others but I put on a pair of latex gloves before going into a shop and remove & dispose of them when I come out.
    I also have my own hand sanitiser and would rather not touch one tht half the world touched before me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

<Snip>

This I am very familiar with as a glasses wearer and habitual buff user. It's only an issue for me on the bike in winter, the summer it's fine. And only when you come to a stop. You have to pull the buff right up to the glasses in my experience, and when you come to a stop I shuffle it down with my chin to below my nose and pop it back up again when moving. It only takes a few seconds to clear anyway if you can't move it.

For normal going to the shops masking, I make my own masks and sew in an open paperclip sewed in to make a tight seal around the top of my face under my glasses. A tight seal prevents all steaming!

I have a few types of mask made too, I have some light cotton ones I use when I'm out and about, or if I have to cycle through a busy spot, they're only 2 layers and light so easy to breathe through. The some heavy cotton 2 layered ones. Then I have my shopping/seeing/meeting people masks and they have 2 cotton layers and 2 non-woven fabric layers. They're the hardest to breathe through but still grand for a pedal to the shops, do the shopping and pedal home / a few socially distant hours in the park with friends (I change every 3 hours though). I have those in both light and heavy cotton.

I am all mask making-ed out now. I have used all my lovely colourful fabric to their end!

Hurrache wrote: »

I have a very cold face so I can't relate at all. I wear a buff on the bike and in life at least 11 months of the year. I hate the cold wind or really any wind blowing at my face and neck.

• Advertisement

I also have my own hand sanitiser and would rather not touch one tht half the world touched before me.
    well, if you rub the sanitiser into your hands *after* touching the dispenser, i suspect you're at little risk.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

well, if you rub the sanitiser into your hands *after* touching the dispenser, i suspect you're at little risk.
    Oh I know - I'm happier using my own one though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Get yourself a surgical-style mask (Dunnes are now selling them €15 for 20, supply isn’t an issue for now). One of the long sides has a metal strip inside the fabric at the edge: make sure this side is at the top, across your nose. Then pinch the metal in to conform the top edge of the mask to your face and nose. That should stop or at least minimise the fogging.

Traffic volumes in Dublin city have returned to 75 per cent of their pre-coronavirus levels, according to new figures from Dublin City Council.
    Road works continue on College Green, Dublin to removed a traffic lane and make cycling and walking in the city safer....

The rise in traffic has been matched by calls from the public for a reallocation of roadspace to cyclists and pedestrians.

Since April the council has been gradually implementing a Covid-19 “mobility intervention programme”.

Parking spaces and loading bays have been annexed for pedestrians, and segregated cyclepaths, protected by bollards, have been installed at a number of locations, including the Liffey quays.

The council is also phasing traffic out of College Green. In recent weeks flower boxes were installed in front of the Bank of Ireland on the northbound side of the Green to protect cycling facilities from traffic.

While, on Wednesday morning the bus-stop lane on the opposite side of the road, from Trinity College to Church Lane, has been reallocated for footpath space. Buses will now stop in what is an existing traffic lane, leaving one lane for traffic.

More than 700 requests for “mobility measures” including footpath widening, more space at bus stops, segregated cycling facilities, and contraflow cycle lanes have been made to the council since April.

Meanwhile councillors were told on Wednesday it would take 100 years to resurface the city’s roads at the current levels of investment.

Opinion: The programme for government is like a visit from Santa for cyclists
    COULD IT REALLY be that Santa has arrived six months and one week ahead of schedule? In the programme for government, we are told that €1 million euro a day, every day, will be invested in safer cycling and walking during the lifetime of the next government.

Get the popcorn ready for the comments this will generate....

they're actually generally sensible so far.

Grassey wrote: »
    Opinion: The programme for government is like a visit from Santa for cyclists

Get the popcorn ready for the comments this will generate....

I'm sure everyone has seen this already, but it's pretty accurate:
    https://thisinterestsme.com/tools/journal-comment-generator.php

Just spinning the wheel, and this perfectly plausible comment comes up:
    DECENT HARD-WORKING IRISH PEOPLE DON'T WANT THE INSURANCE CARTELS ANYWHERE NEAR POWER, THEY ARE NOTHING BUT LEECHES WHO WHO WOULD DESTROY THE SUNDAY GAME WITH THEIR NEOLIBERAL AGENDA.

I WOULDN'T TRUST THE BANKERS AND THEIR ELK TO GO FOR A CARTON OF MILK.
    ('elk' is perfect)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Brilliant.

I'm sure everyone has seen this already, but it's pretty accurate:
    https://thisinterestsme.com/tools/journal-comment-generator.php
    i sent that to my dad yesterday and ended up on the phone explaining it to him. he didn't realise you're meant to hit the 'generate comment' button, he just saw the sample comment they'd generated and thought 'what's the fuss?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If anything the grammar is too precise to be anything but a generated comment in most cases.

Advertisement