Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Paywall unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

An RNLI volunteer is claiming that the new coastal cycle track in Dún Laoghaire could delay emergency responses by up to 20 minutes.

This is the kind of fear-mongering that could kill the route.

https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/rnli-fears-cycle-route-could-delay-emergency-response-c972610f

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yikes. I wonder could they build in some sort of emergency vehicle access. Like bollards which the emergency services have control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Moflojo wrote: »
    An RNLI volunteer is claiming that the new coastal cycle track in Dún Laoghaire could delay emergency responses by up to 20 minutes.

https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/rnli-fears-cycle-route-could-delay-emergency-response-c972610f

Whiparound for new bikes for the RNLI crews? Probably the fastest way of reaching the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cycling infrastructure is often used by emergency vehicles. It often allows them to get places faster.

Depends on how wide the infrastructure is and how hard it is to get on and off it, but I know it's used in other other countries in this way.

In fact there was a video on one of the regional BBC newscasts that purported to show an emergency vehicle behind hampered by cycling infrastructure, but in fact it was using the infra.

https://twitter.com/WilliamNB/status/1281471402051280897

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Surprised at the BBC there. Clearly a local angle being supported by the local team and a lot of autonomy granted to the regional crews.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Moflojo wrote: »

I call bullshyte on that. A, it's wide enough for a vehicle, it's the exact side of a lane of traffic. B, There is the road running parallel to it and gaps for entry and exit vehicles on the both sides for all openings from across both sides of the road. I pedalled it last Friday, it's not open yet but what's there so far is great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Most of the RNLI crew are typically within spitting distance (they feature on one of those A&E shows in the UK about the RNLI). One of them pegs it out of his restaurant, across the road, on foot, in under 5 minutes, and is typically last one there. I wonder did SBP even verify their unnamed source.

A reported delay of up to 20 minutes in accessing the Dún Laoghaire RNLI Lifeboat Station, claimed to be because of a new coastal cycle route, “cannot be substantiated”, a senior official at Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council has said.
    Oisín O’Connor, a spokesperson for the DLR branch of the Dublin Cycling Campaign said: “The harbour car park is accessible as it always was, apart from the large amount of cars parked in it. Emergency vehicles are allowed to use two way cycle lanes in other countries and it would be great for the council to clarify that they can be used here too.
    https://irishcycle.com/2020/07/20/claim-of-highly-popular-new-cycle-route-delaying-lifeboat-access-cannot-be-substantiated/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i usually find the debate around the language used in articles about collisions involving cyclists a little strained, but this one *is* weird.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Young-girl-on-bicycle-injured-in-city-centre-collision-5f863fae-2f59-488d-ace9-f2bfe9f1f49c-ds

the equivalent of 'what's the sound of one hand clapping' style of reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Oisín O’Connor, a spokesperson for the DLR branch of the Dublin Cycling Campaign said: “The harbour car park is accessible as it always was, apart from the large amount of cars parked in it. Emergency vehicles are allowed to use two way cycle lanes in other countries and it would be great for the council to clarify that they can be used here too.

As long as an official confirmation doesn't give our boys in blue the green light to scoot off down the bike path whenever their pizza is getting cold at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

CramCycle wrote: »
    Most of the RNLI crew are typically within spitting distance (they feature on one of those A&E shows in the UK about the RNLI). One of them pegs it out of his restaurant, across the road, on foot, in under 5 minutes, and is typically last one there. I wonder did SBP even verify their unnamed source.

Speaking from experience we're almost always more delayed by cars and inconsiderate parking. Infrastructural changes are part of live and you have to adapt. I've never seen extra traffic lights or busier roads getting press in this manner. Sunny days with traffic jams on the coast can cause very long delays to any response if crews are relying on cars for transport. It's a well known issue and there are many ways around it one of which is cycling or running to the station. Others will man the station when we are expected to be busy such as Sunday afternoons. If you want really fast response times the most effective thing to do is ban private cars from parking in the harbors. This way the roads leading to them should be clear allowing access quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Speaking from experience we're almost always more delayed by cars and inconsiderate parking. Infrastructural changes are part of live and you have to adapt. I've never seen extra traffic lights or busier roads getting press in this manner. Sunny days with traffic jams on the coast can cause very long delays to any response if crews are relying on cars for transport. It's a well known issue and there are many ways around it one of which is cycling or running to the station. Others will man the station when we are expected to be busy such as Sunday afternoons. If you want really fast response times the most effective thing to do is ban private cars from parking in the harbors. This way the roads leading to them should be clear allowing access quickly.

"Speaking from experience we're [...] delayed by [...] infrastructural changes. Crews are relying on cars for transport. Sunny days [...] can cause very long delays [...] one of which is cycling. If you want really fast response times the most effective thing to do is ban [...] them."

- Another anonymous source from the RNLI calls for cycling to be banned to prevent delays to emergency response times.

Speaking from experience we're almost always more delayed by cars and inconsiderate parking.

A thing that has become worse over time, not just for you guys but around Wicklow (and undoubtedly elsewhere), several incidents where Emergency responders couldn't get to people because cars were parked in the most obtuse of ways. It beggars belief.
    Also, while I hope never to need you, thank you, a friend of mine is a volunteer down in Wexford and there are plenty of people who might not be here only for you guys, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://twitter.com/AidanAidanmc/status/1284995041564471296

looks like the causeway if you're driving from barleycove beach towards mizen head. can you imagine if joe barr had hit that on his recent run? it'd have been like

When I started watching that I was wondering if the video was flipped or they drive opposite sides of the road in Cork before realizing that no it was in fact a line of badly parked cars. Gardaí need calling there and tickets all round.

That old Merc was a thing of beauty though.

i hadn't spotted that. parked there to walk to the beach, undoubtedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Spotted this on Twitter: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-van-driver-escapes-conviction-for-threatening-behaviour-in-row-over-cycle-lane-ea4d753c-4100-434a-8b33-6187504c6c54-ds

Guy in a van pulls out an axe after a person on a bike asks him to not park in a cycle lane.

Slap on the wrist for the driver involved. Wonder what would have happened if the guy on the bike didn't mention the camera was recording......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gardaí need calling there and tickets all round.

For what? No markings beyond a couple of yield signs at the ends of the causeway, it's a legitimate free for all.

• Advertisement

Slap on the wrist for the driver involved.
    "The judge said that a fulsome letter of contrition should be written"

gave me a chuckle. he'd have had to do whatever the judge told him, which makes the 'fulsome' part a joke.
    i could write out the words to one of the world's greatest poems, does not mean i am one of the world's greatest poets.

Spotted this on Twitter: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-van-driver-escapes-conviction-for-threatening-behaviour-in-row-over-cycle-lane-ea4d753c-4100-434a-8b33-6187504c6c54-ds

Guy in a van pulls out an axe after a person on a bike asks him to not park in a cycle lane.

Slap on the wrist for the driver involved. Wonder what would have happened if the guy on the bike didn't mention the camera was recording......

Dear lord, Is the Garda a 21 year old student? The writer if that piece and the editor should be next against the wall after the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

"The judge said that a fulsome letter of contrition should be written"

gave me a chuckle. he'd have had to do whatever the judge told him, which makes the 'fulsome' part a joke.
    i could write out the words to one of the world's greatest poems, does not mean i am one of the world's greatest poets.

My understanding of 'fulsome' is that it's exaggeration of something to the point where it is no longer sincere and meaningless, but I've seen it used more and more to mean 'extremely'. I wonder which definition the judge is using here...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Henry McKean does 'riders of the lockdown' on Pat Kenny Newstalk later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

buffalo wrote: »
    My understanding of 'fulsome' is that it's exaggeration of something to the point where it is no longer sincere and meaningless, but I've seen it used more and more to mean 'extremely'. I wonder which definition the judge is using here...

"adjective. offensive to good taste, especially as being excessive; overdone or gross: fulsome praise that embarrassed her deeply; fulsome décor. disgusting; sickening; repulsive: a table heaped with fulsome mounds of greasy foods. excessively or insincerely lavish: fulsome admiration."

Is the judge part of Jamie Rednapp's "literally on fire" school of English?

buffalo wrote: »

The original meaning, from waaay back, was more the "very flattering and full" or "abundant", and over time this seemed to have attained a sarcastic overtone and became more like "sickeningly excessive and insincere", and now it seems to be drifting back to the original.

McGaggs wrote: »

Is the judge part of Jamie Rednapp's "literally on fire" school of English?

The problem with the objections to use of "literally" as an intensifier is that the two most common intensifiers in the English language "very" and "really" both went on exactly the same journey: words that denote genuine and "meaning it" ("the very image of his father"/"it really is the best option") gradually blur over into being a simple intensifier.

Shakespeare is mocking the then modish usage of "very" as an intensifier in Romeo and Juliet:
    The pox of such antic, lisping, affecting fantasmines, these new tuners of accents! “By Jesu, a very good blade! A very tall man! A very good whore!”

zell12 wrote: »
    Henry McKean does 'riders of the lockdown' on Pat Kenny Newstalk later

On now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

On now.

Yup, Can always rely on PK to gleefully broadcast the bile of his gammon faced audience and show Ireland to the rest of the world as a bunch of backward angry potato-heads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement