Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

Isn't there an entrance to that school directly from Blackhorse Ave? Down a little lane way opposite the back entrance to the SVDP? So even if you drove your kids to school, surely you could just drop them there and let them walk in. Especially if coming from the Navan Road area. Otherwise, there is also the entrance and car park at the Hole in the Wall. No problem parking there since its closed.

Why, knowing that the traffic was bad in the park would you drive by these to get to the Castleknock gates just to circle back around?

Whatever about the person being interviewed, could the journalist not put this to her. And make the wider point that stupid unnecessary trips like this are adding to the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

JMcL wrote: »
    So what's the current state of play on the Phoenix Park? O'Donovan I must say sounds like a complete bell-end and as senior minister surely Eamonn Ryan could override him

Different departments, so I don't think that'll happen unless the Phoenix Park becomes a cabinet issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

eeeee wrote: »
    I call bullshyte on that. A, it's wide enough for a vehicle, it's the exact side of a lane of traffic. B, There is the road running parallel to it and gaps for entry and exit vehicles on the both sides for all openings from across both sides of the road. I pedalled it last Friday, it's not open yet but what's there so far is great.

Had the same in Limerick from a local businessman taking to social media who claimed the emergency services would no longer be able to save people on O'Callaghan Strand despite a full lane still being open as all that was done was close off one of the 3 lanes on that side of the strand and regular full access from the other side. Big surprise his business is down that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Duckjob wrote: »

Full details below
    Link to article

Minister Eamon Ryan, T.D. Minister for Climate Change, Communications Networks and Transport, today announced funding of €4.5m to 26 Greenway Projects. The funding was allocated under the Carbon Tax Fund 2020 and provides support for feasibility, planning and design for Greenways around the country.

Minister Ryan stated: “I’m delighted to be able to announce this funding today, that will support the Greenways Strategy and help local authorities prepare Greenway projects to be ready for construction funding in the coming years. These greenways will encourage tourism in the future, and will also provide a safe, segregated space for people walking and cycling”

Minister Ryan added; “I’m particularly pleased that a number of Greenway proposals in the areas supported by the Just Transition Fund have been funded today – these projects in Longford, Roscommon and Offaly will benefit from this funding and follows the recommendation in Kieran Mulvey’s report for greater co-operation between local authorities in the area.”

The inclusion of funding for the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Greenway is particularly important in terms of continued work on a cross-border basis and shows our commitment to “New Decade, New Approach” as set out in the Programme for Government.”

Minister Catherine Martin TD, Minister for Media, Tourism, Art, Culture and the Gaeltacht, also welcomed the announcement: “Greenways can play an important role in supporting local communities to create jobs and bring visitors to areas of the country that might not otherwise experience tourism. As we have seen over the course of the lockdown, people are eager to get out into nature and avail of the stunning scenery in our country.”

521449.jpg

521450.jpg

521451.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Maybe I just don't understand much about these types of projects, but it seems like a lot of money for what is mostly feasibility studies

cletus wrote: »
    Maybe I just don't understand much about these types of projects, but it seems like a lot of money for what is mostly feasibility studies

The feasibility study proves the case, which allows for funding to be provided to take a project through planning and, following another funding round, construction.

Something along those lines. Others might know the exact sequence and steps involved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

I understand what the feasibility study is for, but some of them are over a hundred grand for that study.

I see oldbridge to Navan on that list. I can dream it comes about in my lifetime. It would be a fantastic route if possible.

Most expensive one on the list too @ 750,000 I don't know if that reflects on how serious they are about it or that it's not as straight forward as the others?

I see oldbridge to Navan on that list. I can dream it comes about in my lifetime. It would be a fantastic route if possible.

Most expensive one on the list too @ 750,000 I don't know if that reflects on how serious they are about it or that it's not as straight forward as the others?

Looks like there are land purchases too so that would push the costs up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cletus wrote: »
    I understand what the feasibility study is for, but some of them are over a hundred grand for that study.
    I presume that it's somewhat similar to an EIA whereby the project has to look at a number of things to evaluate that the project has no negative impacts. This means the likes of an archaeologist or botanist or whatever would need to be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I am glad that I live down the country. Cyclists are still respected here on normal roads generally. A truck driver even gave me a "pip" on Saturday for letting him pass.

On your bike: 12 reasons to get cycling
    Better tax incentives, more cycle lanes and it’s the best money-saving exercise

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not exactly what i'd call the sort of dry language you'd expect for guidance like that.
    there's a certain irony in the guidance that deleting things can be seen as inflammatory, while using language more flowery than is required.

Cost of a Dublin Bike sub going up to €35 in September

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0804/1157261-dublin-bikes/

Am I right in thinking there is no sub in other countries? I don't remember one in London

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Boo. I'll still renew for the 3 times a year I use it :pac:
    Actually I haven't and won't use it until the pandemic subsides, I might cancel.

I suppose it's to cover ever escalating insurance costs? It must cost a fortune to insure that scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking there is no sub in other countries? I don't remember one in London

GBP 90/ 100 euros for London. 37 euros for Paris.

35 euros still looks reasonable especially if this is part of a commitment to continue expanding the scheme a lot further as all these additional cycle lanes appear.

uphillonly wrote: »
    GBP 90/ 100 euros for London. 37 euros for Paris.

35 euros still looks reasonable especially if this is part of a commitment to continue expanding the scheme a lot further as all these additional cycle lanes appear.

But do you cycle for free once the 35 is paid? I always thought the £90 was a year pass not just a sub but I could be wrong

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    But do you cycle for free once the 35 is paid? I always thought the £90 was a year pass not just a sub but I could be wrong

The first 30 mins of each ride is free. Avg length of rides is 16 mins from the article so hardly any users pay for the rides so the sub is the only income it generates

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Issued last September - was that before or after the rehab consultant on their board took a shot at cyclists holding her up and got a bit of a pile-on as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news/dlr-announce-launch-active-school-travel-initiative

DLRCC promoting active travel to schools, interactive maps, more protected cycling provision etc etc

The Irish Times are stirring it again with this letter yesterday...
    Cycling without a helmet

Sir, – While supporting your exposure of cycling as a greener mode of transport, (Home News, August 3rd), I wonder if your paper might not have found photographic evidence of bike-riders wearing helmets rather than the example printed, of those without head protection? – Yours, etc,

MONICA NOLAN,
    Knocklyon, Dublin 16.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cycling-without-a-helmet-1.4321977

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

golf clap for anyone from here who can get a letter printed on the subject in the IT, as long as it has some godawful pun in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The Irish Times are stirring it again with this letter yesterday...

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cycling-without-a-helmet-1.4321977

I'd expect nothing less from anyone in Knocklyon with it's appalling levels of car dependency, they even campaigned for an extra lane of traffic outside a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I'd expect nothing less from anyone in Knocklyon with it's appalling levels of car dependency, they even campaigned for an extra lane of traffic outside a school.

To be fair to them, ive a few friends living out that way, its been completely overdeveloped in every sense except public transport & infrastructure. Endless housing estates & tiny roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

cycle cafes for Kildare
    Kildare County Council has approved applications from 12 local businesses as a host for a ‘Designated Cycle Café’ in the county. Six other applications are pending approval, while 3 more are awaiting inspection visits.

The Barrow Blueway and the Naas to Sallins Greenway proved to be attractive amenities in each application received from businesses in Athy and Sallins respectfully, while other amenities around the county have also being key to applications received.

The purpose of a ‘Cycle Café’ is to promote cycling and provide cyclists and cycling groups with a ‘pit stop’ to allow them a refreshment or toilet break along their route, the use of a bicycle repair unit if required and to take advantage of local attractions, amenities and tourism.

The Cycle Café scheme will be officially launched during Bike Week and European Mobility Week in September.

Well, this is kinda unexpected.

Cars to give way for Sandymount cycle path

A one-way car ban is to be implemented on Strand Road, the scenic coast road in Sandymount, to accommodate a two-way cycle track along Dublin Bay.
    In the latest in series of measures to requisition road space for cyclists, Dublin City Council is to turn the Dublin 4 road into a one-way street for more than 2.5km, from Sean Moore Road to the Merrion Gates.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cars-to-give-way-for-sandymount-cycle-path-1.4324957?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Wow! I don't what crack-pipe they're smoking there in DCC, but I wish they'd hand it over to Fingal CoCo :D.

Roads for example from Santry out to Swords (apart from bit around the Airport) and to Donabate, Rush, Lusk, Skerries etc are still a car wilderness.

Advertisement