Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Excellent news.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Well, this is kinda unexpected.

Cars to give way for Sandymount cycle path

A one-way car ban is to be implemented on Strand Road, the scenic coast road in Sandymount, to accommodate a two-way cycle track along Dublin Bay.
    In the latest in series of measures to requisition road space for cyclists, Dublin City Council is to turn the Dublin 4 road into a one-way street for more than 2.5km, from Sean Moore Road to the Merrion Gates.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cars-to-give-way-for-sandymount-cycle-path-1.4324957?mode=amp
    Irish Rail will be delighted - instant halving in the number of barrier hits at the Merrion Gates :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect whatever issues the locals who actually live on strand road might have with a one way system will be tempered by the knowledge that it will at least halve the HGV traffic heading for the port or the east link, coming past their houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The one way that people in dundrum village do not want or need. Objections from 40 business owners and residents have been ignored. The village already has a bypass, does not need one way system.

No idea who you've been talking to, but I know several people who do want it.
    It's not even much on an inconvenience, unless you are terminally lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The one way that people in dundrum village do not want or need. Objections from 40 business owners and residents have been ignored. The village already has a bypass, does not need one way system.

I'm in Dundrum village regularly, probably most days of the week, and I want and need this.

What particular problems arise with a one-way system? Beyond a very short additional journey for some people in some circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, Main Street has awful trouble with business constantly closing on the non-Lidl side of the street. If it were easier to cross the street, you could get probably some decent synergy going. It could be a nice place to hang out with these plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This car access equals business thing is a myth.

In Limerick we are constantly hearing how limiting parking or car access to a street will destroy the business and yet Cruises St. Catherine/little Catherine St. And Thomas St./Bedford Row are all doing just as well as the car streets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

breezy1985 wrote: »
    This car access equals business thing is a myth.

In Limerick we are constantly hearing how limiting parking or car access to a street will destroy the business and yet Cruises St. Catherine/little Catherine St. And Thomas St./Bedford Row are all doing just as well as the car streets

Yeah, Grafton Street died a death after pedestrianisation

• Advertisement

There is a vested interest in driving down values of properties in the village. It begins with letter H. To buy properties they don't already own.

Motorists will not bother trying to access village , will be too much hassle. Look at Rathfarnham village. Its a dead backwater.

Same amount of parking as before. Why is a one-way system too much hassle?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There is a vested interest in driving down values of properties in the village. It begins with letter H. To buy properties they don't already own.

Motorists will not bother trying to access village , will be too much hassle. Look at Rathfarnham village. Its a dead backwater.
    Look at Blackrock.

Rathfarnham village is a dead backwater because it's a car park.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Look at Blackrock.

Rathfarnham village is a dead backwater because it's a car park.

... with dreadful public transport. At least, I tried to get there by public transport once from Balally, and it wasn't straightforward or fast. And I once looked at living there, but my then girlfriend couldn't see how she could practically get to work in town, based on the buses being constantly stuck in traffic.

But what strategy are they using to drive down values of properties? How are they making businesses close on Main Street?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Motorists already don't shop in Dundrum village, which all of us who are or were local know. Pedestrians stick to the side they are on due to the sh*tty roads and traffic. I had a look at the traffic one way plan and colour me shocked to find out, its actually better than i thought it would be. The roads are barely wide enough for parking and two way traffic as it is, get rid of a lane of traffic or car park spaces is the sensible thing, at least it gives some of those businesses a chance they may last.

I'd also be looking at moving all entrances into the shopping centre onto the by pass side and Tesco, the entrance on the village street is idiotic.

It's a minority concern, but it's quite hard to get a cargo bike into the Dundrum Village if you're heading north. The only option, apart from barging down the ramp at Lidl (I'm not rude enough to try it, so I can't think off-hand whether the geometry is even accommodating enough to allow it), is to go in through the car entrance, take a parking ticket, go under the barrier and discard the ticket. You can't lift a cargo bike up onto the footpath to use the second pedestrian entrance. I suppose you could continue on, and do a hard left onto the footpath at the t-junction and go in through the pedestrian entrance opposite the library.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's a minority concern, but it's quite hard to get a cargo bike into the Dundrum Village if you're heading north. The only option, apart from barging down the ramp at Lidl (I'm not rude enough to try it, so I can't think off-hand whether the geometry is even accommodating enough to allow it), is to go in through the car entrance, take a parking ticket, go under the barrier and discard the ticket. You can't lift a cargo bike up onto the footpath to use the second pedestrian entrance. I suppose you could continue on, and do a hard left onto the footpath at the t-junction and go in through the pedestrian entrance opposite the library.

It's a fair point, as is the question of where you can park it safely, and have reasonable confidence that it will be there when you get back. From memory, they have some good Sheffield stands outside Lidl, but I can't recall if you would have room for few cargo bikes.

The barriers are up at the entrance at present, so parking is free - though I presume that is a temporary measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Who is this mysterious H? Hún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council?

We locals know the footfall, traffic levels. It does not require one way. The bypass took all the traffic from main street.

So if all the car traffic is already gone, what's left to lose by make the village more attractive for those who are on foot to spend more time there?

Maintaining low rent businesses in the old centre. A near derelict row of premises on western side of street. By keeping this status for years, they are hoping to empty the main street, pick up properties on the cheap , to complete their portfolio.

I still don't understand though. They own some premises and are keeping them closed to make the others close?
    We locals know the footfall, traffic levels. It does not require one way. The bypass took all the traffic from main street.

There is still a LOT of traffic passing through Dundrum. I cycle through Dundrum all the time, and I often choose another way to go because the Main Street is so cycling hostile -- mainly because there's no overtaking space: two lanes and car parking = very narrow lanes.
    Covid is a distraction here, it's been planned for years.

It's certainly possible that they're using it as a justification for ostensibly temporary measures that will be so popular and lucrative that they'll stay. I certainly hope so.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Who is this mysterious H? Hún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council?

Hammerson was my assumption

That fella from Steps probably has pretty deep pockets too though.

It's a fair point, as is the question of where you can park it safely, and have reasonable confidence that it will be there when you get back. From memory, they have some good Sheffield stands outside Lidl, but I can't recall if you would have room for few cargo bikes.

Yeah, the stands at Lidl are ok. You don't end up blocking the pedestrian passage, even with a long-base two-wheeler. The stands are too near the wall I would normally say, but in the case of a cargo bike it's pretty handy they're so near the wall, from the point of view of keeping the pedestrian passage clear.

Hammerson was my assumption

That fella from Steps probably has pretty deep pockets too though.

So Hammerson/Steps use their evil influence within DLRCC to create a horrific village atmosphere with awful wide footpaths and terrifying plants, force all the local businesses to close down, then buy their properties (with all their spare cash even though this company is in deep trouble?) and get the council to close the bypass and build a motorway through the village?

Am I on the right track?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whilst they look chic and stylish and all that, they're not actually cycling :rolleyes:

buffalo wrote: »
    So Hammerson/Steps use their evil influence within DLRCC to create a horrific village atmosphere with awful wide footpaths and terrifying plants, force all the local businesses to close down, then buy their properties (with all their spare cash even though this company is in deep trouble?) and get the council to close the bypass and build a motorway through the village?

Am I on the right track?

Sounds a bit like this:
    https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1292528671090245640

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Won't someone please think of the children?

No but seriously I have probably had this rant before but should the question not be why are so many children now being driven to school.

Even amongst cyclists there are a group of parents complaining in Limerick City about how dangerous the commute is across the city on the busiest peak traffic roads in the city to get their kids to school rather than ask why kids aren't going to the school in walking distance or have better school buses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

When they mention the 2 cycle lanes, are they talking about the 2 perfectly good / perfectly disconnected lines of paint running for about 160m on one side and about 230m on the other ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.287571,-6.2438982,3a,75y,150.54h,69.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4HlkPI9uw8Ev1eFtDHSC9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    When they mention the 2 cycle lanes, are they talking about the 2 perfectly good / perfectly disconnected lines of paint running for about 160m on one side and about 230m on the other ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.287571,-6.2438982,3a,75y,150.54h,69.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4HlkPI9uw8Ev1eFtDHSC9w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It gets better when you have to negotiate the slip lanes for the car parks while cycling uphill.

It's not even clear to me that you can cycle into the car parks and lock up your bike and at least go to some shops in the Dundrum Town Centre, while you're busy not cycling anywhere near Main Street to appease the people who can't live with a one-way system.

Advertisement