Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There is a meaningless distinction (at least, one I don't personally make or like) between a proper cyclist and a person-on-a-bike.

But Faughnan is in a third class. He is paid to undermine initiatives that challenge the supremacy of the motorcar in street and neighbourhood design. He's extremely good at it. He opposes most initiatives in a mild way, and says that if only they were done like <insert far-away place>, he'd be 100% behind them, but not this particular initiative.

So, even in this case, he sounds as if he's supporting the cycling infrastructure, but he's successfully getting the idea out that people don't cycle in the winter, even though anyone who uses their eyes knows that what he's saying is completely untrue.

So his personal use of a bike (which is genuine) is used to reinforce his image as a can-see-both-sides moderate. He's still trying to undermine public transport, walking and cycling initiatives, and is bizarrely treated as not just a neutral, but some sort of expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

Biker79 wrote: »
    Once you become one, you recognize it in someone else.

Cultures with a low barrier to entry are never worth being part of. Whether its cycling or anything else.

I suppose some will find that offensive but that's the times we live in.

But according to Mojomaker, I'm a cyclist, but I don't recognise the definitions set by either you or him.

So if am one, do I then get to decide who else is one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@MojoMaker

O.K. you got me. I'm a cyclist.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cletus wrote: »
    So who is the arbiter of this group 'cyclist'

Me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

cletus wrote: »
    I'm afraid that, despite the kudos and plaudits, Mojomaker, I have to agree with magicbastarder.

If you are on a bike, you're a cyclist. If you are driving a car, you're a motorist, etc and so forth.

We can't exclude people from any of the many groups they inhabit because we don't like the behaviour they exhibit. There are good and bad people in every walk of life.

I am in agreement with cletus here, a cyclist is someone who rides a bike, end of for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

eeeee wrote: »
    The strand road is not pleasant to cycle on. No space for anything else but single lane traffic each way, revving engines and drivers pissed off behind you as they can't pass you because there is no room with on coming traffic. cars parked at the side of the road who just love flinging their doors open at you.

I am struggling to see how not being choked with motor traffic will harm an area.

Plus there are the dart benefits too, the gates only have to go down for half the amount of traffic! I imagine the Rock Road will get busier, but hopefully it will, like most protected infra has (the new blackrock to dun laoghaire one has already), get more families, kids and people in general out on their bikes to the area instead of piling into a car.

I guess I have had different experiences and/or tolerances than you.

However, with regard to your point about "I am struggling to see how not being choked with motor traffic will harm an area", I agree with you on the Beach Road/Strand Road improvements. My concern is for the the areas that the traffic will move to. It's fine to breezily state that it's all good if it gets more families out together etc. but the majority of traffic on that road is commuter and not family. That traffic will have to be accommodated elsewhere and won't be included in the idyllic family scenes happening along the beach front.

As I stated originally, I am all for the creation of 'a' cycleway along this stretch of the road, but forcing a half-assed effort in under the auspices of Covid legislation, with zero consultation, is not the way to do it. And yes, I am fully aware that consultation means further delay.

Also, the Dart thing - the gates will come down with the same frequency so there is zero upside there. Unless one can travel in both directions simultaneously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I am in agreement with cletus here, a cyclist is someone who rides a bike, end of for me.
    i can't even believe that the debate is happening.
    we can use the phrase 'cycliste' for those pure of heart, who pedal with souplesse and know the thread count of their tyres, in future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

PaulieC wrote: »
    I guess I have had different experiences and/or tolerances than you.

However, with regard to your point about "I am struggling to see how not being choked with motor traffic will harm an area", I agree with you on the Beach Road/Strand Road improvements. My concern is for the the areas that the traffic will move to. It's fine to breezily state that it's all good if it gets more families out together etc. but the majority of traffic on that road is commuter and not family. That traffic will have to be accommodated elsewhere and won't be included in the idyllic family scenes happening along the beach front.

As I stated originally, I am all for the creation of 'a' cycleway along this stretch of the road, but forcing a half-assed effort in under the auspices of Covid legislation, with zero consultation, is not the way to do it. And yes, I am fully aware that consultation means further delay.

I commute 200k a week on average (pre covid, I'm down to about 140k per week now), I race bikes and train about 15 hours a week on the bike in total. My tolerances are good ;)

Our experiences may vary, for sure, but it's a contentious bit of road to cycle on by any estimation at the minute - single lane in each direction, no cycle lane or hard shoulder, no way for traffic to pass you with any semblance of safety if there is oncoming traffic, then you get the aggravated revving and beeping, the close passes, the people charging at you before the roundabouts. The people pulling out from parking on the side of the door without looking, opening doors without looking etc.

It's a model of a terrible road to cycle on.

If you look at any similar intervention, for example the recent Blackrock to Dun Laoghaire lane, you will see an abundance of kids and families out, and lots of women on bikes. I have never seen so many of the same, ever, even during lockdown on that road pre cycle lane.

The rock road traffic hasn't been affected by this cycle lane, I don't see how the strand road is any different?

Hopefully some of those in cars get on bikes when they realise it's quicker and easier to cycle into town rather than drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I commute 200k a week on average (pre covid, I'm down to about 140k per week now), I race bikes and train about 15 hours a week on the bike in total. My tolerances are good ;)

Our experiences may vary, for sure, but it's a contentious bit of road to cycle on by any estimation at the minute - single lane in each direction, no cycle lane or hard shoulder, no way for traffic to pass you with any semblance of safety if there is oncoming traffic, then you get the aggravated revving and beeping, the close passes, the people charging at you before the roundabouts. The people pulling out from parking on the side of the door without looking, opening doors without looking etc.

It's a model of a terrible road to cycle on.

If you look at any similar intervention, for example the recent Blackrock to Dun Laoghaire lane, you will see an abundance of kids and families out, and lots of women on bikes. I have never seen so many of the same, ever, even during lockdown on that road pre cycle lane.

The rock road traffic hasn't been affected by this cycle lane, I don't see how the strand road is any different?

Hopefully some of those in cars get on bikes when they realise it's quicker and easier to cycle into town rather than drive.

Again, our experiences differ. I generally don't have issues cycling either way on that road (apart from wind).

On the traffic part, it's impossible to tell at the moment as a huge amount of people are still working at home, there are no events on in the Three Arena etc. so traffic is nowhere near where it normally is.
    I would be interested to hear the opinions of people from Monkstown though, on their experience since the cycleway opened on the lower road. I have definitely experienced increased volumes going that way, both on bike and in car.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Nope, you're a cyclist Eamonnator. You have a demonstrated passion for cycling, a love of bikes, a determination to put your bike ahead of other easier forms of transport, someone who cherishes their rides, looks after your equipment, and looks forward to getting out on the bike / any bike as often as possible, has more than one bike, and actively consumes a variety of biking-related media and information, often with a deep interest in the sporting side of affairs - unless of course I've taken you up incorrectly all these years :)

^^ As are most regular posters on this forum. Occasionally an interloper will wind their way in here spouting "...but I'm a cyclist too..." in order to defend/deflect the actions of others towards those that have a grá for the bike.

Cletus, you wouldn't have laboured hours of love into your Muddy Fox resto if you were just a bicycle user. By definition you're a cyclist too.

I make a strong distinction between the two, without apology. More often than not the actions of bicycle users reflect poorly on the cyclist community - those in their cages or on their footpaths see us as all one. By and large the cyclists I know and see (a) are courteous to non-cyclists, (b) obey the rules of the road, (c) look after their equipment, (d) know how to ride capably and display this clearly and consistently.

Bicycle users on the other hand struggle with much of the above. Plenty of room for all of us of course, for the love of God just don't pretend that Conor Faughnan is a cyclist :pac:

Nonsense, but you are entitled to your opinion however silly it may be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

PaulieC wrote: »
    My concern is for the the areas that the traffic will move to.

Look up traffic evaporation. The majority of the traffic won't move, it'll disappear.

e.g. https://www.dublininquirer.com/2017/05/17/david-so-where-will-all-the-city-centre-traffic-go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There is a meaningless distinction (at least, one I don't personally make or like) between a proper cyclist and a person-on-a-bike.

But Faughnan is in a third class. He is paid to undermine initiatives that challenge the supremacy of the motorcar in street and neighbourhood design. He's extremely good at it. He opposes most initiatives in a mild way, and says that if only they were done like <insert far-away place>, he'd be 100% behind them, but not this particular initiative.

So, even in this case, he sounds as if he's supporting the cycling infrastructure, but he's successfully getting the idea out that people don't cycle in the winter, even though anyone who uses their eyes knows that what he's saying is completely untrue.

So his personal use of a bike (which is genuine) is used to reinforce his image as a can-see-both-sides moderate. He's still trying to undermine public transport, walking and cycling initiatives, and is bizarrely treated as not just a neutral, but some sort of expert.

Totally agree with this. I think Faughnan's a real wolf in sheeps clothing.

I just listened to it there and there's an even slyer insinuation by Faughnan which is the tired old chestnut that the cycling is just for frivolous activities and gets in the way of the soldiers of the economy in their cars trying to get adult business done.

"...we have to be realistic. We need a functioning city. All of our towns and cities, they're engines of economic development and growth, they're where the jobs are.

Unfortunately we can't act as if we're making our plans for people out for picnics, people out for walks, people who love to have a stroll and a cup of coffee. Y'know, we all love to do that from time to time, we all are that citizen. We also have to work...."

So basically:-

driving = adult, work, important business.
    cycling = leisure, frivolous, getting in the way of driving, work, important business

It's bizarre considering he supposedly cycles to work himself.

Yes, he called it a "pursuit", didn't he?

It's all quite subtle. It wouldn't be effective if it were blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One thing that wasnt picked up on was when Irelands medieval city centres were mentioned no one pointed out that many European countries ban or severely limit cars in the centre

It's such nonsense anyway. There are a few such streets, but most streets are wide.

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1144642089155792897

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I don't live in Dublin, but HGVs are all over my town on streets that are not designed for them. On coming traffic must stop well back to allow these monstrosities go around a corner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

At the moment it feels like an act of bravery to cycle to school
    West Dublin primary school appeals for safe cycling infrastructure ahead of reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Irish times have published a beginners guide to cycling, online at least.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/life-on-two-wheels-a-beginner-s-guide-to-cycling-1.4328279?mode=amp

Duckjob wrote: »

No good if there isn't a national standard for cycle lanes as the council's will just squander it on crap like those stupid off road roundabout cycle paths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A planning application for a cycling cafe in Wales was rejected because there were insufficient car parking spaces included.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/aug/21/welsh-planners-turn-down-cycle-cafe-for-lack-of-car-parking-spaces?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

there were reports last night that a fatality near st margaret's in north county dublin involved a teenage cyclist - RTE are now reporting he was on a motorbike. RIP, it was a collision involving a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Duckjob wrote: »

"people won't walk in Ireland in the winter, it's too cold" FFS, it's not the north pole......

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    "people won't walk in Ireland in the winter, it's too cold" FFS, it's not the north pole......

People won't walk in Ireland in the summer. A 10/15 walking journey requires a car in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think this shows that pop-up bike lanes are only a sticking-plaster. They don't protect cyclists at junctions, which is where most accidents occur anyway.

Real infrastructure is needed, as well as enforcement of traffic laws to improve driver behaviour.

buffalo wrote: »
    I think this shows that pop-up bike lanes are only a sticking-plaster. They don't protect cyclists at junctions, which is where most accidents occur anyway.

Real infrastructure is needed, as well as enforcement of traffic laws to improve driver behaviour.

Every collision or near collision I was in involved a left turning car. One which was more my fault by mostly no one's all the rest involved a car that was behind or parallel to me just before turning and there's no amount of cycle lanes will change that and driver awareness is the only true cure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Every collision or near collision I was in involved a left turning car. One which was more my fault by mostly no one's all the rest involved a car that was behind or parallel to me just before turning and there's no amount of cycle lanes will change that and driver awareness is the only true cure

It's not just about cycle lanes though. Changing junction layout to force drivers to slow right down as they're turning, having segregated cycle lanes which have a raised surface as they cross the junction and/or having separate lights for cyclists with good priority in the sequencing would all be beneficial.

• Advertisement

It's not just about cycle lanes though. Changing junction layout to force drivers to slow right down as they're turning, having segregated cycle lanes which have a raised surface as they cross the junction and/or having separate lights for cyclists with good priority in the sequencing would all be beneficial.

I used cycle in central London and a lot of the traffic lights have a filter light for bikes to give them a head start.
    As for cars turning they should just look before they turn and most of all dont overtake a bike 20 seconds before your turn

Advertisement