Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Can we have a ban on linking to the Express, journal.ie and other clickbait sites? All we're doing is adding to their revenue by falling into traps that are really beneath us.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

More fun talk on Newstalk with Pat Kenny
    https://twitter.com/HenryMcKean/status/1303235857751707649?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

zell12 wrote: »

They're starting the segment on the radio show now

Sandymount resident: "I'm a keen cyclist but.."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

zell12 wrote: »
    Sandymount resident: "I'm a keen cyclist but.."
    "I'm a cyclist myself" very over done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just switched it on and there's an angry resident who disagrees with the plan followed by a cyclist that hasn't a good word about it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Ah jayzis, poor traffic. Sure get a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Be interesting to see do they mention Google pulling out of a new building. Talk of "when this is over" traffic, but this should be part of the whole way of working in this state, how we commute etc. Even if we do go back to everyone in the office - these initiatives make cycling more attractive removing car journeys.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    these initiatives make cycling more attractive removing car journeys.
    ...but those cyclists will still block the cars left on the roads and that won't be good enough. Only a complete removal of cyclists from roads will appease many drivers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Ahhh here we go with Pat reading out all the bile from the texters. The classic 'road tax' argument was even broadcast!

• Advertisement

Texter: "Motorists pay hefty road tax, isn't it time cyclists made a contribution"

In the threee comments (all three were negative to the changes) read out by Pat, the last raises the issue of road taxing cyclists.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I may be missing something, but who pays road tax?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

One of the replies to the above tweet (all of the replies were negative towards the Newstalk anti-cycling tweet)...
    https://twitter.com/cb95Ireland/status/1303259673429250049

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The biggest error here is actually from the posters. You all tuned in, when this stops happening, Pat will stop talking rubbish as he needs listeners to justify his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

CramCycle wrote: »
    The biggest error here is actually from the posters. You all tuned in, when this stops happening, Pat will stop talking rubbish as he needs listeners to justify his job.

Totally true and I agree, I do find it difficult as his biased narrative is just too infuriating to ignore, especially when he broadcasts lies such as "motorists pay road tax". I guess I'm the bigger fool for biting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

channel number 2 on my car is tuned to static. it had been newstalk when i got the car, but static is much more soothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

CramCycle wrote: »

It is important to know what he's saying to the listeners. And what the public are thinking.
    "Know your enemy" and all that.

Better to listen to the show and write to the advertisers directly and tell them you like their product but you're gonna boycott it because supporting PK is supporting the anti-cycling mob, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How do they know you're listening anyway? Does anyone here actually have a Nielsen device? (I assume that's still how they measure listenership).

• Advertisement

for anyone who didn't see this (the tweet has now been deleted), it was from the pat kenny newstalk account asking if the rollout of cycle lanes across dublin amounts to a war being declared on motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

for anyone who didn't see this (the tweet has now been deleted), it was from the pat kenny newstalk account asking if the rollout of cycle lanes across dublin amounts to a war being declared on motorists.

It did get a very negative reaction. Little surprised they deleted it, as this sort of thing is Kenny's modus operandi, and since they're dependent on people texting in, they'd usually welcome outrage.

Rotten way to make a living really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's like a Trumpian tweet designed to provoke and cause division

kenny.jpg

what weapons do cyclists really have in a war?
    we could hurl D-locks like cans of soup, i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

what weapons do cyclists really have in a war?
    we could hurl D-locks like cans of soup, i guess.

Taking the non-violent route, how about large back mounted Owen Keegan or Eamonn Ryan stickers? That'd cause a sizeable number of carbound PK listeners and taxi drivers to spontaneously combust I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In the threee comments (all three were negative to the changes) read out by Pat, the last raises the issue of road taxing cyclists.
    :rolleyes:

Even the 5 year olds ?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Even the 5 year olds ?
    Only if they're wearing lycra!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It's like a Trumpian tweet designed to provoke and cause division

kenny.jpg

I hear there will be a follow up first thing this morning on the Show to this Trumpian tweet. 45-50minutes time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Only if they're wearing lycra!
    Surely you mean "lycra-clad"?

Advertisement