Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

. Why aren't the road safety enthusiasts that appear on cycling articles all over these deaths? It's a dead teenager ffs.

Because pedestrian and motorist deaths have been normalised as tragic accidents. Unavoidable, and accepted as a very minor outcome/risk of the benefits that driving mobility brings us....

Whereas cyclists are willfully endangering everyone by bringing their hobby toys onto a road and putting themselves recklessly into danger, by not being in their place. They should be wrapped in PPE and only allowed do loops of Corcagh Park having driven there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Happened me every night outside my flat in London. It was always assumed that I would have to give way to the cars and if I didn't cycle down the middle of my lane they would always try fly past and throw me onto the path so I always took the middle of the lane after a while.
    It was only about 3 cars long too late at night so it's not like I was asking them to wait forever for me to pass
    Yeah, I'm in the middle of the lane too, but they just drive up to me, bumper to front wheel, waiting expectantly for me to relinquish the road to their majestic motors

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yeah, I'm in the middle of the lane too, but they just drive up to me, bumper to front wheel, waiting expectantly for me to relinquish the road to their majestic motors

I'm stubborn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Type 17 wrote: »
    MGIF - Must Get In Front: A person whose entire driving plan consists of Getting In Front, treating all other road users, traffic lights, corners, roundabouts, etc as irritations to be overcome/dispensed with as quickly as possible, with no thought for planning ahead, space-sharing, safety of other road users or traffic laws. Most common in male drivers of German cars, but occurs to varying degrees in all ages, genders and vehicle-types (including bicycles).

Once you've been introduced to this concept, you start seeing it everywhere on the roads - I honestly think it should be defined in an RSA ad showing typical examples, because I do think that many people don't realise that they are doing it.

I find the bike one more rude than dangerous but in other ways hilarious. You sit into a queue at the lights and a cyclist of a certain age, sex and demeanour will inevitably just ride to the front, on either side and then you spend the next few minutes waiting for everyone to filter past them again. And everyone does, you must have to wonder the type of ego can take overtaking everyone as if they are faster and then have every single person from the unicycle to the commuter racer to the Penny Farthing overtake them in the next 200m. It is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

CramCycle wrote: »
    I find the bike one more rude than dangerous but in other ways hilarious. You sit into a queue at the lights and a cyclist of a certain age, sex and demeanour will inevitably just ride to the front, on either side and then you spend the next few minutes waiting for everyone to filter past them again. And everyone does, you must have to wonder the type of ego can take overtaking everyone as if they are faster and then have every single person from the unicycle to the commuter racer to the Penny Farthing overtake them in the next 200m. It is bizarre.

It's wrecked my head for years. Some slow poke pushing up to the front, then getting in everyone's way. I really can't understand why they do it, and the same people do it every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

It's wrecked my head for years. Some slow poke pushing up to the front, then getting in everyone's way. I really can't understand why they do it, and the same people do it every time.

You see it at running races too, despite everyone being asked to position themselves as to estimated finishing time, you always have a few sloggers in the front row with fast runners, blocking up everyone behind for the first bit... Its like a 'if I'm at the top I'll have more time to do X' mentality.

I do it all the time. The Limerick the traffic can be so backed up it makes the difference between going on the first green and going on the 4th. When it's just a few cars I don't bother and I won't stop beside a car with indicators on.

Edit. I just realized you mean bikes passing bikes

I do it all the time. The Limerick the traffic can be so backed up it makes the difference between going on the first green and going on the 4th. When it's just a few cars I don't bother and I won't stop beside a car with indicators on.

Edit. I just realized you mean bikes passing bikes

Sorry I didn't make that clearer. Other traffic it's on a case by case basis based on experience.

Sorry I didn't make that clearer. Other traffic it's on a case by case basis based on experience.

What annoys me especially when I was in London you would come across very show red light jumpers so ide pass them stop watch them pass me out and so on. If you are in such a hurry that you are breaking lights why go so slow. Often the culprits were also scoby lads who done that weird sitting back with hands in the pocket cycling so passing was an ordeal too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-consultation-press-releases/public-engagement-new-safe-walking-and-cycling

DLR Council being progressive again. Proposed one way system for cars along Deansgrange Road with 2 way bicycle lane. Probably on the commute for some on here..

Overall a good move as it can be an awkward section on a bike..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

What annoys me especially when I was in London you would come across very show red light jumpers so ide pass them stop watch them pass me out and so on. If you are in such a hurry that you are breaking lights why go so slow. Often the culprits were also scoby lads who done that weird sitting back with hands in the pocket cycling so passing was an ordeal too

Its about maintaining momentum, not necessarily being in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Loved this footage from the Worlds.

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1309858111931514880

Pros ability to keep their upper body still always impresses me.

Loved this footage from the Worlds.

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/1309858111931514880

Pros ability to keep their upper body still always impresses me.

I've never seen myself cycle and it would be interesting to know what my ride style is. In my head it feels like I throw the bike round like Alaphilippe but who knows

I've never seen myself cycle and it would be interesting to know what my ride style is. In my head it feels like I throw the bike round like Alaphilippe but who knows

In my head I am like a pro, upper body steady on the flats and like a mesmerising metronome on the climbs. In reality, having seen a video of myself, I am very much the middle aged no hoper many would suspect at first glance.

God Anna van der Breggen is the picture of perfection on a bike I struggle to think of anyone who looks as good. They mentioned it in the commentary yesterday and it's one that sticks out in my mind, the strada bianche win when she soloed home. Face completely blank showing no effort and perfectly still on the bike.

Like Cram I've seen myself on video cycling and it makes Froome and Dan Martin look good on their bike sin comparrison :o

Only 30 and she's retiring after next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Type 17 wrote: »

Was just reading that. Very good. Hope it gets some traction. It's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

tomasrojo wrote: »

Was just reading that. Very good. Hope it gets some traction. It's important.

Its a fair point - there are remarkable inconsistencies in the media, the one that galls me most is The Irish Times, with their right on champions of infrastructure on the one hand, and the routine bashing of cyclists on the other.

But the real damage in my view is done on Facebook and Twitter forums. Its remarkable how fractious this has become.

A new cycle lane has gone in on Griffith Avenue - the whingeing about it on the the local Drumcondra Social facebook page is off the charts. And its all the same type of punter in the 55-70 age bracket, or else portly young man who has just bought his first car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it causing massive tailbacks on griffith avenue extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

is it causing massive tailbacks on griffith avenue extension?

LOLS

The thing is though.....it COULD cause massive tailbacks, and thats enough for some people.

Re the above - I should distinguish between:
    The out and out cyclist hater who revels in putting the boot in (yes these people are all drivers)

and

"I know there is a need for a safe cycle lane but just not here" (or here, or here, or here either.......).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its a fair point - there are remarkable inconsistencies in the media, the one that galls me most is The Irish Times, with their right on champions of infrastructure on the one hand, and the routine bashing of cyclists on the other.
    "Cyclist in collision with a car" is the standard reporting here (along with the "motorist was uninjured". I'd say that's the way they get the press releases though.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    "Cyclist in collision with a car" is the standard reporting here (along with the "motorist was uninjured". I'd say that's the way they get the press releases though.

I does read so different if it said "motorist in collision with bicycle" it completely changes the assumption of fault when you change who is mentioned first

LOLS

The thing is though.....it COULD cause massive tailbacks, and thats enough for some people.

Re the above - I should distinguish between:
    The out and out cyclist hater who revels in putting the boot in (yes these people are all drivers)

and

"I know there is a need for a safe cycle lane but just not here" (or here, or here, or here either.......).

There is also the 3rd more insidious bicycle hater who is linking it to other as they call it "lefty snowflake politics" and some I have encountered don't even drive they just see us in with the vegans and the trans people in some stupid culture war.

But the real damage in my view is done on Facebook and Twitter forums. Its remarkable how fractious this has become.

A new cycle lane has gone in on Griffith Avenue - the whingeing about it on the the local Drumcondra Social facebook page is off the charts. And its all the same type of punter in the 55-70 age bracket, or else portly young man who has just bought his first car.

Don't get too depressed. There was recent work in Blackrock Co Dublin around pedestrianisation, one way Main Street, cycle lanes and reduced parking. The local Twitter and Facebook pages went into meltdown with very little support for the measures. However the official submissions to the council had 74% approval, 18% against. There seems to me to be little point in defending or justifying the new infrastructure on social media pages. We used to have to fight both the councils and local interests for better infrastructure. At least now the councils (mostly) are improving things. So let the Facebook/Twitter objectors fight with the local authorities (and each other) and you just get out there and enjoy the cycling.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/council-proceeding-phase-2-mobility-public-realm-works-blackrock

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Don't get too depressed. There was recent work in Blackrock Co Dublin around pedestrianisation, one way Main Street, cycle lanes and reduced parking. The local Twitter and Facebook pages went into meltdown with very little support for the measures. However the official submissions to the council had 74% approval, 18% against. There seems to me to be little point in defending or justifying the new infrastructure on social media pages. We used to have to fight both the councils and local interests for better infrastructure. At least now the councils (mostly) are improving things. So let the Facebook/Twitter objectors fight with the local authorities (and each other) and you just get out there and enjoy the cycling.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/council-proceeding-phase-2-mobility-public-realm-works-blackrock

Had the same in Limerick on Catherine St. when a small section was tightened to 1 lane to make wider paths. Oh the lack of parking was gonna destroy the local business and the traffic would be longer than a meat queue in the USSR but after a while everyone forgot it was any different and now the street is packed with pedestrians and cafes and none of the long standing business have closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

I used the new cycle lane yesterday.....quite pleasant

I requested to join the Drumcondra Social for the craic

micar wrote: »
    I used the new cycle lane yesterday.....quite pleasant

Good luck.

I left the "You know your from Dun Laoghaire" group precisely because there was no craic or any kind of rational debate/discussion about the new infrastructure.

If anyone wants to see 1st hand the vitriol heaped on all things cycling in the DLR area have a look at that Facebook page..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

micar wrote: »
    So did I. First post I see after joining, 'whoever you are please stop dumping dog dirt on my bin', with a photo to accompany it. Wonderful.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Good luck.

I left the "You know your from Dun Laoghaire" group precisely because there was no craic or any kind of rational debate/discussion about the new infrastructure.

If anyone wants to see 1st hand the vitriol heaped on all things cycling in the DLR area have a look at that Facebook page..

God you weren't wrong every second or third post is about cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CrimeCall on RTE just had a segment on cycling. Inadvertently caught footage of a cyclist just moseying along in a cycle lane almost being left hooked by a truck and then immediately after having a car turn right across his path.

Oh, and Sharon Nî Bheoleoin "can't believe" helmets aren't mandatory...

Advertisement