Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Pat Kenny now talking about freeing up space for pedestrians and bicycles in cities, why am I listening, this is going to be painful...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Here we go, Pat Kenny has Ciaran Cuffe on now talking about allocation of road space. "Do they greens just want to get rid of all the motorists Ciaran?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why do you do this to yourselves!

The Luas is a really inefficient use of road space, yeah Pat...
    Does Pat just want everything devoted to private cars?

Jesus Christ... why does he care if taxis are allowed in bike lanes if not? It's scandalous that they're allowed use them anyway, especially when they've no passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Luas is a really inefficient use of road space
    y'wha?

y'wha?

This was Pat's argument, because the Metro is Paris is way more efficient he says :confused:
    He's audibly sighing at how ridiculous the concept of restricting bus lanes to other vehicles is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Duckjob wrote: »
    CrimeCall on RTE just had a segment on cycling. Inadvertently caught footage of a cyclist just moseying along in a cycle lane almost being left hooked by a truck and then immediately after having a car turn right across his path.

Oh, and Sharon Nî Bheoleoin "can't believe" helmets aren't mandatory...

Seems to be a bit of talk about that. It's really not clear why they're going on about cyclists after that section, given that the cyclist is behaving perfectly fine and showing more road sense than the two drivers. Even is wearing "essential" safety gear.

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1310825638543208448

Apparently the cop als was saying that cyclists have to dismount when using pedestrian crossings, and they go on to show a toucan crossing, which specifically are to allow cyclists to cycle across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

PK has Shane Ross on now, one of the most successful, if not the most successful transport minister of all time on to ask what he thinks about it all... </SARCASM>

This was Pat's argument, because the Metro is Paris is way more efficient he says :confused:
    He's audibly sighing at how ridiculous the concept of restricting bus lanes to other vehicles is.

The old thing: I'm all in favour of public transport/cycling infrastructure in places that aren't here, but the stuff here has to go, because we're not that foreign place.

• Advertisement

I had to turn it off. Jesus I never hated Pat Kenny but since I started hearing him talking about cycling and pedestrianisation I really feel like I'd probably lose my sh*t at him if I saw him in real life...
    Absolute f*cking gobsh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

y'wha?

Something something range rover something something Ranelagh something something nipping into the newsagents, back in 2 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I’m trying hard to remember when there wasn’t a Pat Kenny show when he wasn’t banging on about bike lanes.

I'm more disappointed that Ciaran Cuffe didn't shut him down at the mention of "road tax". Sure if we all cycled we couldn't afford to build roads isn't that right Pat?

bazermc wrote: »
    I’m trying hard to remember when there wasn’t a Pat Kenny show when he wasn’t banging on about bike lanes.

He really seems to hate anything that inconveniences cars. I wonder what his solutions are? I think he just wants free for all access to everywhere for cars until we have a transport system like Munich or Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pulled the plug when he was arguing that luas was less efficient use of road space than cars.

I've come to expect that these shows are driven(?) by advertising, and that is based around a listenership primarily of people sat in cars. When I was in the Office, and going to face to face meetings, Newstalk seemed to be the standard option when I was forced to get a taxi. Similarly, Matt Cooper/ The Last Word has been consistently negative about remote working, nearly every day I've heard it some story basically dissing it as a long term option (either for people/ companies/ city centre's*). It's nearly like he wants people stuck in their cars for hours in the evening, where most people listen to the radio....

*it presents some challenges, but it has been overwhelming positive for people who had long commutes and rural communities from where they were commuting from. The discussion should be around how we make this sustainable for people and companies, how we adapt city centres away from offices and back into places people live to provide the footfall for the coffee shops/ restaurants etc.

That's a point I hadn't considered: Irish radio has lost a lot of its captive audience during this pandemic.

On the efficiencies of light rail vs private motorcar, this argument was settled when Pat was a baby before Pat was born. Here's an ad from 1945 illustrating the efficiencies of space:

527768.jpg

From here:
    https://ggwash.org/view/34681/a-streetcar-is-more-space-efficient-than-individual-cars-and-we-knew-it-70-years-ago

That also has the famous triptych comparing pedestrians/cars/buses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

breezy1985 wrote: »
    There is also the 3rd more insidious bicycle hater who is linking it to other as they call it "lefty snowflake politics" and some I have encountered don't even drive they just see us in with the vegans and the trans people in some stupid culture war.

I noticed when Mannix Flynn was giving out about the rave held in Oliver Bond flats last week, he managed somehow to link it to getting a dig in against cyclists.

Just seems like cyclists are an acceptable bogey man for a particular section of the public, and by extension for that part of the media and political establishment who want to appeal to that group.

Mannix Flynn is similarly obsessed.

• Advertisement

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I'm more disappointed that Ciaran Cuffe didn't shut him down at the mention of "road tax". Sure if we all cycled we couldn't afford to build roads isn't that right Pat?

Thats the thing -why does Ciaran Cuffe engage with this guy, it seems odd to me.

Pat Kenny has no interest in cyclists, he has no interest in pedestrians - he is using Ciaran Cuffe as an opportunity to sneer at a so called Green agenda, which actually is just people trying to get around the city safely.

I'll be honest here, as someone who cycles and walks and rarely drives, I should be core voter number 1 for the Greens but they do so much to annoy me......

Starting with the fact that the very first thing that happens the week a Green Party is part of a new government is that the Phoenix Park is opened up to Cars, and they act as if its nothing to with them even though Eamonn Ryan is minister for transport.

An important thing to remember here is the age profile of many of these guys (and its usually guys)......Mannix Flynn, Ivan Yates, Pat Kenny, Fintan O'Toole, Finian McGrath were all born in the 1950s......

Ryan 'I'm not anti cyclist but' Tubridy is a bit of an outlier in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    An important thing to remember here is the age profile of many of these guys (and its usually guys)......Mannix Flynn, Ivan Yates, Pat Kenny, Fintan O'Toole, Finian McGrath were all born in the 1950s......

Is Fintan O'Toole anti cyclist? If so I'm really disappointed as I usually find him to be pretty decent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is Fintan O'Toole anti cyclist? If so I'm really disappointed as I usually find him to be pretty decent

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/cycling-is-a-good-thing-and-boy-do-cyclists-know-it-1.1423498

A W.B. Yeats quote thrown in there to give it an air of prestige and distinguish it from the commoners' anti-cycling rants. There's a guy who loves the smell of his own farts if ever there was one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not sure...
    Here is my contribution to National Bike Week, which starts on Saturday: cyclists are the spawn of the devil. This statement may contain the tiniest tincture of unfair generalisation. But given the widespread tendency to mistake a cycling helmet for a halo, it needs to be said that not all of Hell’s angels ride Harleys. Cyclists like to see themselves as the great oppressed minority of the streets. The truth that dare not speak its name is that the worst oppression is inflicted on the defenceless pedestrian and that two-wheeled yobs do most of the oppressing.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/cycling-is-a-good-thing-and-boy-do-cyclists-know-it-1.1423498

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well that sucked to read.
    What absolute tripe and ide love to see this perfectly fine cycle lane that the cyclists are avoiding because why would anyone avoid it to cycle on the path? Sounds like bull to me probably had some scoby kids pass once and now its all of us forever as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I was born in the 50's... God be with the days when no one gave a damn about cyclists, they just 'cycled', either to work and back, or if they raced, went for spins up the Dublin or Wicklow mountains or whatever hill was nearby, and no one batted an eyelid.
    Somewhere along the way the whole scene got muddled and cyclists somehow became 'the hated ones'.... I often wonder where this hatred came from, and who caused it....

swarlb wrote: »
    I was born in the 50's... God be with the days when no one gave a damn about cyclists, they just 'cycled', either to work and back, or if they raced, went for spins up the Dublin or Wicklow mountains or whatever hill was nearby, and no one batted an eyelid.
    Somewhere along the way the whole scene got muddled and cyclists somehow became 'the hated ones'.... I often wonder where this hatred came from, and who caused it....

I'd be interest to know this. Could be to do with increased motor traffic in cities, the congestion leading to frustrated commuters looking for a scapegoat.

Another thing is people seem to be offended by some cyclists wearing cycling kit (the cheek of them), making it seem like an elitist hobby rather than just an efficient way to get from A to B?

In birth age maybe...

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That's a point I hadn't considered: Irish radio has lost a lot of its captive audience during this pandemic.
    Matt Cooper/ The Last Word has been very obviously bias to my ears. Even when he did a piece about the benefits, he ultimately turned it into how remote working/ rural hubs wouldn't work because of broadband infrastructure. To a guy successfully running such a hub since pre-pandemic in a rural location!

Advertisement