Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

Uggghhh news talk why do I torture myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

De Bhál wrote: »
    out doing close passes in passats

Always Passats

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

someone trawled (not trolled) the twitter feed of the author of that article, john drennan, and found multiple (15 or more, i think) tweets of him giving out about cyclists.

I remember in 2018 when the RSA Communications manager wrote a hit piece on cyclists and the article was attributed to an 'RSA expert' with his name excluded.

Here's a pointer, if you feel the need to exclude your identification from an article, it might be an indication not to submit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Where are all the "freedom loving" anti mask people when debates like helmets come up ?

I think you'll find people who hate immigrants and masks and have irish flags in their twitter handles absolutely despise people on bikes too!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

FG politician says something positive and reasonable about cycling shocker
    Speaking at the launch of the National Road Safety Week, Hildegarde Naughton said cycling suffers from “negative perceptions” as to its relative safety.
    "The fact is that cycling has become statistically safer in the past 20 years and yet the perception of many people is that it has become more dangerous,” she said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where are all the "freedom loving" anti mask people when debates like helmets come up ?

It is remarkable how many right-wing, small-government, anti-nanny-state, light regulation people suddenly become pro-regulation when cycling is discussed. We've seen it from Renua in the past. I remember John McGurk brought onto Matt Cooper's show to argue the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

FG politician says something positive and reasonable about cycling shocker
    Ah now, fellow Galway FGer Ciaran Cannon TD is a keen cyclists and frequently pops up in pro-cycling events/comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It is remarkable how many right-wing, small-government, anti-nanny-state, light regulation people suddenly become pro-regulation when cycling is discussed. We've seen it from Renua in the past. I remember John McGurk brought onto Matt Cooper's show to argue the case.
    Yeah Ive often wondered about that, its the same in Australia where they're completely corrupted by decades of Murdochs poison, always whining about the nanny state/red tape/interfering bureaucrats etc etc but then when it comes to cycling their hard man anti-nanny state politicians successfully campaign on pushing helmet laws through and now want mandatory insurance and registration for cyclists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hard men don't cycle though. hard men drive utes.

hard men don't cycle though. hard men drive utes.

Sorry but that's a load of udder bullocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Brilliant video posted by "Not just bikes" on YT on the stereotype that exists against the "cyclist".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No chance of us getting Waters & O'Doherty on the case for us then : )

No chance of us getting Waters & O'Doherty on the case for us then : )

Seeing as Waters went to jail rather than pay his parking fine in Dun Laoghaire, I don't think he'll be top of our list.

I think Gemma has moaned about the lycra clad communists iirc. Or maybe that's just my recurring nightmare.

Seeing as Waters went to jail rather than pay his parking fine in Dun Laoghaire, I don't think he'll be top of our list.

I think Gemma has moaned about the lycra clad communists iirc. Or maybe that's just my recurring nightmare.

Being berated by Gemma while dressed in a lycra Russian army uniform sounds like one of those very niche dominatrix fetishes. Like the time Max Mosley was caught with the Nazi girls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Brilliant video posted by "Not just bikes" on YT on the stereotype that exists against the "cyclist".

That came up on my feed earlier and I was going to post it here.

Excellent video.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Headline: Residents oppose cycle route
    Only a sentence in: Some residents oppose cycle lane
    Actual survey: Majority of local residents in favour of cycle lane

Why do the IT hate public transport and cycling so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Maybe a subconscious bias towards wealth being the measure of the man and therefore expensive private vehicles, lavish properties etc should be the goal of everyone and anything which counters that shines a light on the vacuous nature of such motivation?

Too deep?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...Too deep?

Not at all. The problem is that some IT readers people don't think deeply enough, and perceive anything other than their lifestyle as inferior, when in fact, many differences are just that: different - not inferior, just different.

• Advertisement

Or maybe just because car companies are one of the few remaining big advertising spenders?

Because most of their journalists and readers drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The IT loves Cycling.....isn't there Greenways and Cycle Buses and Sam Bennett....

Its just cyclists they dont like.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The IT loves Cycling.....isn't there Greenways and Cycle Buses and Sam Bennett....

Its just cyclists they dont like.

They like bikes when it's off the road not affecting the commute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

They like bikes when it's off the road not affecting the commute

Exactly, so long as cyclists don't "get in the way" of John & Mary driving their Tucson through the Phoenix park and into the city centre everyday.

I would imagine with this project, as soon as it's up and running, counsellors and maybe even TDs will be up in arms saying the traffic is gridlocked around Merrion and Ballsbridge, and of course if there was no bike lane there would be no traffic problems. I hope this doesn't lead to it only being a trial, but I wouldn't be too confident.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rise in under-25s video calling when driving, says RAC
    The RAC motor organisation claims they've got figures suggesting one in five under-25s are using FaceTime, SnapChat or WhatApp at the wheel.

Edit: should have made it clear that this is in the UK

I would imagine with this project, as soon as it's up and running, counsellors and maybe even TDs will be up in arms saying the traffic is gridlocked around Merrion and Ballsbridge, and of course if there was no bike lane there would be no traffic problems. I hope this doesn't lead to it only being a trial, but I wouldn't be too confident.

A local counsellor in Limerick has
    "urged the council to scrap the Shannon bridge cycle lane and return to the free flow of traffic on the bridge"

Free flow my arse that bridge was backed up way off the back of the bridge long before the cycle lane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Ah here, it's mental at this stage.

I was running last night in a village, cars doing approx 50kph.
    6 drivers in a row looking at their phones!!

• Advertisement

Ah here, it's mental at this stage.

I was running last night in a village, cars doing approx 50kph.
    6 drivers in a row looking at their phones!!

Phones have become almost instinctual
    I used manage pubs and you could see some of the staff just couldn't comprehend the idea that finishing your text was rude with a customer looking at you. Same goes for the customers trying to texts and order so ide say if you pointed this out to the driver they would be almost surprised the phone was in their hand

Advertisement