Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wish the cyclists on footpaths thread was still going

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1318491280607973377

• Registered Users Posts: 25,987 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wish the cyclists on footpaths thread was still going

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1318491280607973377

All I can see in those pictures are 2 firemen and some flashing blue lights. Everything else is too dark to see as it's not in hi-vis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Think of how much more "menacing" it would be if a cyclist had collided with the bus stop though!

Stark wrote: »
    Think of how much more "menacing" it would be if a cyclist had collided with the bus stop though!

Sure the car barely scratched the thing. Any self respecting cyclist would have come round for a second pass and really wreck the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

6 cars completely on the footpaths outside my house now that are double yellow lined. I can't figure out how they get there without driving on the footpaths though, maybe someone airlifts them in while I'm asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Cycling every road in your 5km radius (Melbourne)

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/54626043

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Type 17 wrote: »
    Cycling every road in your 5km radius (Melbourne)

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/54626043

I have plans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

6 cars completely on the footpaths outside my house now that are double yellow lined. I can't figure out how they get there without driving on the footpaths though, maybe someone airlifts them in while I'm asleep.

Entitlement, pure and simple. That's how they get there.

I've knocked in to neighbours who, short on space in their own driveway apparently think it's fine to park their tanks sticking out the end of the driveway right across the footpath, forcing kids, parents with buggys etc out on the road. When I've asked, they have moved it but they look at me like i'm some sort of crank - and they carry on doing it.

On a related note, when I hear the charges of entitlement being levelled at cyclists, usually in the form of "they think they own the road" type comments, it really boils my p**s.

Why? Because if you insist on putting cyclists and motorists into groups, there's only one of those groups whose "members" you consistently hear claiming greater entitlement over the road than the other group, usually in the form of road tax BS, and it's not the two wheeled one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

I have plans...

My advice - start as early as you can. Less people around giving you strange or suspicious looks as you go up and down their cul-de-sac. As the day progressed I had to start affecting a "oh, this isn't the road I wanted, I'm a bit lost" look.

And be wary of estates with two access roads, made me miss a bit!

530155.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

buffalo wrote: »
    530155.png

Is this real? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

In the leafy suburbs of South Dublin, my biggest enemy to filling in the map will be gated communities.

Anyway, I'm a middle-aged female and my invisibility is an asset at this stage.

In the leafy suburbs of South Dublin, my biggest enemy to filling in the map will be gated communities.

Anyway, I'm a middle-aged female and my invisibility is an asset at this stage.

Have you tried high-vis : )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Is this real? :eek:

Had to fill those lockdown days somehow! Less than 100k to cover every road in Leixlip - barring a stretch of Green Lane outside the GAA club. Damn you Oaklawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭cletus

https://wandrer.earth/dashboard

This might help. It keeps a record of all the unique miles you've cycled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

I did this with my son during the 2km restrictions. Great fun for the first hour but oh lord it got very tedious very quickly. Cul de sacs everywhere so constantly going up dead ends, very frustrating! We abandoned it and thought of it gives me the chills now...! To think I could have been on bbc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

mollser wrote:
    Cul de sacs everywhere so constantly going up dead ends, very frustrating!

Really shows a planning deficit... Sure why would someone walk/cycle 20m to an adjoining estate/busstop etc when they can drive a 1km loop to get there instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Grassey wrote: »
    Really shows a planning deficit... Sure why would someone walk/cycle 20m to an adjoining estate/busstop etc when they can drive a 1km loop to get there instead...

.. from a cycling/ walking perspective perhaps, but very pleasant to live in one! I forgot to mention covering the connecting bits of road where you do 3 sides of a block and have to double back to get the fourth side before moving to the next block. Grrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

haha, been working on this myself for the past while. I call it colouring....except I do it running..

I've completed every road in my 2km, and only have a small bit left on the 5km radius. But the problem now is I need to run 10km (5 there and back) just to colour even a metre of new road.

The cul de sacs are annoying alright, especially pushing a buggy. The attached gives an idea of what a finished area looks like. :-)

In other news, article in the IT today about the bollards around Fitzwilliam Square:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-residents-seek-removal-of-distasteful-cycle-bollards-1.4388601

my "favourite" quote:
    These plastic bollards are visual pollutants and are creating a racetrack for cyclists and should be removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

My favourite is the bit about residents having difficulty accessing their cars?? Just how immobile are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

inappropriate in the city’s premier Georgian conservation area

Unlike ye olde Georgian autocarraiges

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i keep hearing complaints about the visual impact of wands. people who are happy to have the streets cluttered with parked cars sure don't like wands as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

i keep hearing complaints about the visual impact of wands. people who are happy to have the streets cluttered with parked cars sure don't like wands as an alternative.

It astounds me sometimes just how selective people can be in their convictions.

Like those that don't bat an eyelid about hundreds of kms of heavy duty motorway grade road being laid through nature, but as soon as a light-scale path project mentions the word "cycling" somehow suddenly they're uber-environmentalists.

Amazing. Bikes are making it dangerous to cross the road and bollards are uglier than parked cars

The real headline should have been 97% approval for cycle lane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fitzwilliam street is a glorified car park. The whole area is. Any suggestion that they are visual pollutants while there are a couple of hundred cars semi permanently parked there should be thrown right into the bin.

The road is in absolute rag order too from the constant works being done in the area and the many, many trucks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Duckjob wrote: »
    It astounds me sometimes just how selective people can be in their convictions.

Like those that don't bat an eyelid about hundreds of kms of heavy duty motorway grade road being laid through nature, but as soon as a light-scale path project mentions the word "cycling" somehow suddenly they're uber-environmentalists.

Similar to those who want to "Save our trees" form bus connects but happily concrete or pave their entire garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Weepsie wrote: »
    Fitzwilliam street is a glorified car park. The whole area is. Any suggestion that they are visual pollutants while there are a couple of hundred cars semi permanently parked there should be thrown right into the bin.

The road is in absolute rag order too from the constant works being done in the area and the many, many trucks

Reminds me of a real "back in your box, peasant" moment I had cycling there one morning on my old commute.

I was cycling my €250 Decathlon bike along from Leeson st towards Merrion sq and a purple Porsche 911 GT3 RS (about €250k) pulls up alongside so I start admiring it as I was peddling alongside, just as I was staring it hits a gigantic pothole full of water and soaks me from head to toe. Genuine mistake by the driver but yea, never felt poorer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know a guy who owns a GT3. could well have been him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

s1ippy wrote: »
    My favourite is the bit about residents having difficulty accessing their cars?? Just how immobile are they?

“Mr Burns said he felt having to access his car “in the middle of the road instead of from the footpath” was inherently unsafe.”

i.e.

“I don’t feel safe out on the road. Make those bicycle people go out there instead.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Parking is tight there during (normal, non-Covid) working hours, so I'd say people often have to park on the other side of the street from their premises - how on earth do they manage, having to cross two streams of cyclists as well as two streams of cars, vans and motorcycles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Breezer wrote: »
    “Mr Burns said he felt having to access his car “in the middle of the road instead of from the footpath” was inherently unsafe.”

i.e.

“I don’t feel safe out on the road. Make those bicycle people go out there instead.”

530425.jpg

Advertisement