Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Newstalk are at it again trying to pit cyclists against everyone else in their tweets. The 3min interview is much more mature and sensible.
    Ciaran Ryan from the Dublin Cycling Campaign speaks well.

https://twitter.com/NTBreakfast/status/1321729420453883904

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

And yet he turned out to be a very bad minister for transport.

https://twitter.com/CorkCommuter/status/1321818186392719360

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,988 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lolwut.

I kind of want to read this book but I don't want to pay Ross money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,988 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My favourite photo of Stephen Donnelly is him sitting in his constituency office as he gets close to the ides of switching parties again:
    bsusb_by_chster_v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Who has he got left. Shinners and FG ? Or maybe the National party as he loves flavour of the month politics

Shouldn't be surprised at the Irish Times at this stage, but here we go again:
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1322078251490123777

• Advertisement

In addition to "long suffer motorists", they forgot "hard work motorists".

i think i mentioned before that i know the partner of someone who used to be letters ed, and the problem is that that may have been on the more publishable end of the letters they have been sent.

Stark wrote: »

I think "uncanny resemblance" is in the book because he wanted Dáil-insider detail, given the nature of the book, misunderstood the joke, and since he's the type of writer who lets the clichés do the writing, the resemblance just had to be "uncanny".

€20,000 fine added to ‘unduly lenient’ sentence of drink driver who injured cyclist
    The Court of Appeal has added a €20,000 fine to the sentence of an “uninsured driver”, who crashed his car into two cyclists while four times over the drink driving limit, leaving one of them with a deformed spine and both with life-changing injuries.

The court had already found that the four years in prison, originally imposed on Muiris Flynn, was unduly lenient for the charge of dangerous driving causing serious bodily harm.
    I note that the original sentencing included an eight year driving ban :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Why is he an "uninsured driver"... He admitted having no insurance, so why have parenthesis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Judge urges motorists to 'take that second look' as woman fined €4k for knocking cyclist off his bike https://jrnl.ie/5250371

Left hook.....no indication

She said she looked......yeah right.

that fine is probably dwarfed by the compensation he received, so i'm wondering from a legal viewpoint is it considered purely punitive, or is there supposed to be some compensatory element to it?

I was going to say the comments were tame by journal standards then noted it's Friday night and the story was only posted 50 minutes ago.

4k fine for depriving a guy some of his senses and no points mentioned but I imagine her insurance go through the roof once the claim is settled.

Is that a thing that happens often with head injuries, to loose hearing or smell? Guess it really comes down to the part of the brain involved.

yeah, strokes can do similar.

that fine is probably dwarfed by the compensation he received, so i'm wondering from a legal viewpoint is it considered purely punitive, or is there supposed to be some compensatory element to it?

Purely punative and also not setting a precedent for giving no fine which might affect future cases. It may also be precedent already set, so it lessens the likelyhood of appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

...and yet another anti-cycling letter in todays Irish Times...

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/electric-bicycles-and-the-law-1.4390754

Did Mr. Walsh get his degree in law from eBay given that electric bikes are not propelled by the electric motor (Article 1 (h) of EU Directive 2002/24/EC)?

I have no idea why the IT allowed something so erroneous to be published. As well as getting the legal standing in Ireland wrong, I think there's a 2nd error in saying the UK does make provision for pedelecs. Northern Ireland, to my knowledge, doesn't. The barrister was wrong on every count. Embarrassing to be writing in about the law and getting it so wrong.

I have no idea why the IT allowed something so erroneous to be published.
    it's the letters page. which would not exist were everything to be fact checked and vetted for sanity. it's for people whose mates laughed politely at their jokes at the bar in the golf club, to inflict those jokes on the wider world.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

John Drennan in the Mail
    Under the headline 'Gardai seize 91 electric scooters [in 2020]' and delay in promised legislation for legality of usage, he quotes a government colleague referring to Minister Ryan as:
    "He is an awful ditherer, he makes Ross look like a hare"

it's the letters page. which would not exist were everything to be fact checked and vetted for sanity. it's for people whose mates laughed politely at their jokes at the bar in the golf club, to inflict those jokes on the wider world.

A chara

Spot on with this. Really made me laugh

Breezy1985 MBE,TD,BS
    Poshtown
    Eire

zell12 wrote: »
    he quotes a government colleague referring to Minister Ryan as:
    simon mcgarr (the data protection solicitor) was talking about a parallel point on twitter recently, in relation to the mother and baby homes/data issue recently, and it reminded me of the maxim 'the reasonable man adapts himself to fit the world and the unreasonable man adapts the world to fit himself, therefore for change, we need unreasonable men'.

i suspect the biggest issue with the greens in government is that they're not willing to be unreasonable, the party is set up to punish people who aren't team players.
    mcgarr was making the point that what was needed from someone in roderic o'gorman's position was someone in charge to basically say 'i know this is something that many people have been working on for years, and even though i'm fresh in the door, i'm throwing that work on the bonfire because it's headed in the wrong direction'

and that's what will happen with a lot of the greens, they're not used to actually being in charge and won't have the confidence to swim against the current when required.

simon mcgarr (the data protection solicitor) was talking about a parallel point on twitter recently, in relation to the mother and baby homes/data issue recently, and it reminded me of the maxim 'the reasonable man adapts himself to fit the world and the unreasonable man adapts the world to fit himself, therefore for change, we need unreasonable men'.

i suspect the biggest issue with the greens in government is that they're not willing to be unreasonable, the party is set up to punish people who aren't team players.
    mcgarr was making the point that what was needed from someone in roderic o'gorman's position was someone in charge to basically say 'i know this is something that many people have been working on for years, and even though i'm fresh in the door, i'm throwing that work on the bonfire because it's headed in the wrong direction'

and that's what will happen with a lot of the greens, they're not used to actually being in charge and won't have the confidence to swim against the current when required.

In fairness the greens spend their whole life swimming against the current. Anyone on here why cycles knows how much crap you get every day for doing something a bit different

I was a green party member for a few years and left as I got sick of the uninformed tripe that used to fly around at meetings and any attempt ot question was met with disgust and you were asked to bring it up elsewhere. The biggest issue the greens have is not the likes of Eamon Ryan but the large number of old school greens who can't listen out the reasoning for anything that sounds non environmental. If they listened to it, they might see a modicum of sense to it. At least if they listened and still disagreed I could understand.

They are a party full of the best of intentions and on occasion get it right, regrettably that inflexibility is why they often get it, unintentionally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

zell12 wrote: »
    John Drennan in the Mail
    Under the headline 'Gardai seize 91 electric scooters [in 2020]' and delay in promised legislation for legality of usage, he quotes a government colleague referring to Minister Ryan as:

Ross who did nothing at all about scooters in his full term as Minister?

• Advertisement

Advertisement