Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Is it just me that found these statements completely unnecessary in the FT piece?
    Yes, I know that there are bad cyclists. Sometimes they jump red lights. Often they wear Lycra. I wish they didn’t. But there are also bad motorbike riders too, who act like our eardrums are non-essential items.
    If we want cyclists to be less annoying, then we should build proper infrastructure for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,988 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Just like the bad motorbike riders who wear leather".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'often they wear lycra. i wish they didn't' is just *weird*. maybe it wasn't caught by a sub or was mangled by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is it just me that found these statements completely unnecessary in the FT piece?

I think he is just preempting the inevitable cliche comments section nonsense

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I get what he was trying to do, try and relate to the people the article is aimed at. Regrettably though it comes across as the sort of thing you would expect of a Junior Cert writer who thought they were being clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,988 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"I wish they wore nothing at all".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Radical expansion of cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin
    Three new routes aim to facilitate safe cycling to at least 65 schools across the county
    A radical expansion of cycle infrastructure across south Dublin is planned by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, following the success of the coastal cycle route from Blackrock to Sandycove.

A network of 25km of connected cycle routes will be created using quiet residential streets, parks, and existing cycle lanes, along with access-only arrangements on some streets, the closure of parts of other streets to traffic, and the introduction of a one-way system in Deansgrange.

Three primary routes are intended to facilitate safe cycling to at least 65 schools across the county, and will see previously disjointed cycle tracks connected for the first time.
    cue a lot of angry residents complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I've seen some of the 'material' circulating arounds residents in Blackrock.
    You'd swear that people will be blocked into their estates as the main road at the exit will have been taken away to put in cycling superhighways.
    People I know who are supportive of the changes from Blackrock Main St etc are swallowing this guff

We just need to show Sorcha in the Land Rover that prices of bikes have a crazy wide range too and she can be just as happy looking down on the prols on their Carreras from her Pinarello Dogma F12 as she was from her urban tank

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Church claims west London cycle superhighway 'will do more damage than the Luftwaffe'
    Plans for a cycle superhighway in west London would cause more damage to a parish community than Hitler’s Second World War bombs, a church leader has claimed.

Father Michael Dunne, of a church in Chiswick, has urged his congregation to pray that plans for a two-lane cycle path are scrapped after suggesting it would disrupt funeral processions.

He accused Transport for London of proposing developments that would do more harm to the community than German planes during WW2 in a scathing Facebook post.

And he said the “prospective trauma” would disrupt events taking place at The Church of Our Lady of Grace & St Edward, such as weddings, funerals and communions.
    It asks parishioners to “consider the impact” on “Sunday Mass congregations gathering on the pavement, the elderly, and families with children vs speeding cyclists.

“Funerals: no right of way for carrying the coffin. No right of way for First Holy Communion and other processions. Weddings: no right of way for Brides in their wedding dresses.”
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/church-claims-west-london-cycle-superhighway-will-do-more-damage-than-the-luftwaffe-a3652441.html

The same project is criticised by leading Tory Brexiteer who wanted French citizenship...
    Lord Lawson says cycling is most damaging thing for London since the Blitz
    Lord Lawson has claimed that cycling is “doing more damage to London than almost anything since the Blitz.” Another Tory peer, Lord Higgins, has said that the Cycle Superhighways currently being built in the capital were responsible for more traffic jams and pollution.
    But Lord Lawson, a climate change denier who lives most of the time in France, also asked: “Is it not also hugely age discriminatory? There is a huge section of the population of a certain age, well represented in this House — I declare an interest — for whom cycling is not a practical option.”

“I suggest to my noble friend that it is never too late to start,” was Lord Ahmad’s laconic reply.
    https://road.cc/content/news/173223-lord-lawson-says-cycling-most-damaging-thing-london-blitz

• Advertisement

Church claims west London cycle superhighway 'will do more damage than the Luftwaffe'

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/church-claims-west-london-cycle-superhighway-will-do-more-damage-than-the-luftwaffe-a3652441.html

The same project is criticised by leading Tory Brexiteer who wanted French citizenship...

https://road.cc/content/news/173223-lord-lawson-says-cycling-most-damaging-thing-london-blitz

Hes a Brexiteer who lives in France and a member of the Lords who is crying about discrimination. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

[QUOTE=Seth Brundle;115163749anted French citizenship...

https://road.cc/content/news/173223-lord-lawson-says-cycling-most-damaging-thing-london-blitz[/QUOTE]

You could also equally claim that Lawson and his Thatcherite cronies did more damage to London in their time than anything since the blitz

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Grassey wrote: »
    I've seen some of the 'material' circulating arounds residents in Blackrock.
    You'd swear that people will be blocked into their estates as the main road at the exit will have been taken away to put in cycling superhighways.
    People I know who are supportive of the changes from Blackrock Main St etc are swallowing this guff

The Deans Grange peasants are revolting too.

123561377_10221207273425963_8891682228080477525_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=hQaQTJv6orQAX_X9sS2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=2159ab0f310f5f10c09bd8ed338c5baa&oe=5FC9740F

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

The Deans Grange peasants are revolting too.

123561377_10221207273425963_8891682228080477525_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=hQaQTJv6orQAX_X9sS2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=2159ab0f310f5f10c09bd8ed338c5baa&oe=5FC9740F

I wasn't aware DLRCC were building a nuclear reactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Ironic that they're co-opting environmentalists protest imagery to keep something that is inherently damaging to the environment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Speaking of PK, on todays show he's going to be taking a pop at talking about the proposed new cycle lanes in S Dublin.

Prepare for the the usual rhetoric from PK about the "hard pressed motorist" and the ensueing slew of off-topic whiney texts about cyclists, red lights and road tax.

Stark wrote: »
    "I wish they wore nothing at all".

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Pat Kenny has a segment coming on now in a minute

Pat already shoehorning in the conversation his favorite hoary old chestnut "no bell on your bike"

• Advertisement

Theres more to come, he'll be on about the city centre in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Theres more to come, he'll be on about the city centre in a bit.

Can't stand to listen, interested to hear how he frames the 80%+ in favour of restrictions in his own poll.

buffalo wrote: »
    Can't stand to listen, interested to hear how he frames the 80%+ in favour of restrictions in his own poll.

Its really not going his way so I bet he ignores it.

Interesting that the comments are about 50/50 pro v anti which just shows that as usual the anti bike people are just a very loud minority.

Todays favourite is the guy claiming that DCC are trying to force the old out of the city centre by banning cars. Surely if you are too old to get on a bus you are probably not fit to be driving a car but hey logic never comes into it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Todays favourite is the guy claiming that DCC are trying to force the old out of the city centre by banning cars. Surely if you are too old to get on a bus you are probably not fit to be driving a car but hey logic never comes into it
    They get the bus for feckin free anyway!

Arrest made in connection to the death of Thiago Cortes earlier in the summer.

https://www.thejournal.ie/teen-arrested-over-death-of-thiago-cortes-5257853-Nov2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sindo letter
    NsOuLZt.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

zell12 wrote: »
    Sindo letter
    NsOuLZt.png

I wish the RSA would come out with an advert saying why cycling 2 abreast is ok.

With that include a video from behind doing this......depending on their positioning it may seem that are 3 abreast but that's purely due to some overlap in s tight bunch......the camera can then pan over them showing 2 abreast....

Finally....do a clip actually showing what 3 abreast actually looks like ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Doc07

Sindo letter
    NsOuLZt.png

That’s depressing. Also shows that the mentality and cognitive dissonance required for educated people to vote Trump and support the American gun lobby can be found easily here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sindo letter
    NsOuLZt.png

Shame that he's only a keen cyclist himself. I only take such comments seriously from people who are avid cyclists themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They get the bus for feckin free anyway!

Yes, I feckin' do, fair play and well earned. I also get free flu jab, free T.V. licence and an electricity(?) allowance.

Advertisement