Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they have so far ignored my followup question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not related to journalism but my 67 year old mother who normally lives in Spain where cycling is far safer and drivers are respectful of cyclists said she had to give out to a "big man" who drove far too close to her in Santry. I'm not really comfortable with her cycling here, I've been out on the bike the last couple of days since the gym opened and I forgot how close they pass you, it's horrible, the Howth road is just one close pass after another and sometimes at really high speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is from 2002,, and I know Spain has improved a lot, but I'm not sure it is safer than Ireland. Spain, Portugal and Italy traditionally have fairly bad records.

534945.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sandy Wagstaff is greatest IT readers letter name ever. It perfectly encapsulates the image I have in my head

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kerry cycling legend Paudie Fitzgerald dies aged 87
    Kerry cycling legend Paudie Fitzgerald has died aged 87.

The Lispole man won Ireland's premier cycle race, the Rás Tailteann, in 1956 and was a leading member of the famous Kerry cycling team of the 1950s.

Fitzgerald was also a member of the Irish team that mounted a dramatic protest at the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1203/1182183-kerry-cycling-paudie-fitzgerald/

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Kerry cycling legend Paudie Fitzgerald dies aged 87
    Kerry cycling legend Paudie Fitzgerald has died aged 87.

The Lispole man won Ireland's premier cycle race, the Rás Tailteann, in 1956 and was a leading member of the famous Kerry cycling team of the 1950s.

Fitzgerald was also a member of the Irish team that mounted a dramatic protest at the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1203/1182183-kerry-cycling-paudie-fitzgerald/

That's nuts about the Olympic thing. Anyone know when did 32 county sports start being recognised or was it different for each sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ryan coming up on Newstalk about cycling to school. Turned off, as I'm not sure I can handle Jonathon Healy + Newstalk texters without a few more doses of caffeine.

sbs2010 wrote: »
    That's nuts about the Olympic thing. Anyone know when did 32 county sports start being recognised or was it different for each sport?
    It was different for each sport. It wasn't an Olympic thing, it was a split in Irish Cycling. It's covered in "The Ascent" but more thoroughly in "The Rás" by Tom Daly.

There was the NCA - 32 County; CRE/ ICF 26 County; NICF 6 County

btw Northern Athletes do effectively have the choice of Ireland or GB still. You may recall Rory McIlroy getting a load of hassle for being on the fence.

sbs2010 wrote: »
    if you think that's nuts, i assume you haven't heard about the munich olympics?
    you're in for a treat:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2020/0716/1153660-green-and-gold/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,688 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pretty positive stuff there.
    Teacher who cycles to school really enthusiastic, and highlighted the horrible congested traffic crap at school gates.
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/principals-warn-safe-cycle-paths-needed-to-avoid-tragedy-on-roads-1116982

Car restrictions proposed for Sandymount to accommodate new cycle way
    Car restrictions, including traffic barriers, reduced parking, and one-way systems, are proposed for Dublin’s Sandymount village as mitigation measures for the new Strand Road cycle path which is due to come into operation in February.

Dublin City Council has devised plans for the Dublin 4 village to guard against its streets becoming rat runs for motorists once the two-way Strand Road cycle route, which limits traffic on the coastal road to one lane, opens.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/car-restrictions-proposed-for-sandymount-to-accommodate-new-cycle-way-1.4435727?mode=amp

Car restrictions proposed for Sandymount to accommodate new cycle way
    Car restrictions, including traffic barriers, reduced parking, and one-way systems, are proposed for Dublin’s Sandymount village as mitigation measures for the new Strand Road cycle path which is due to come into operation in February.
    Just about to ring the bell and throw my ninja star - coming up now on Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I literally walked into the office and Kenny was on "Car restrictions for ....to allow access for bikes", or something like that was how he framed it. Straight over to 4FM to a Robbie Williams song, still more palatable.

a comment from a friend who lives in sandymount:
    "Interesting. The road they propose blocking off is a very quiet residential one, rarely used by traffic going through Sandymount (the map makes it look more central than it is). But it is a traffic nightmare every morning and afternoon during the school year, when loads of locals drive their daughters to the national school at one end of it ��. So perhaps the residents were playing a longer game..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Hurrache wrote: »
    I literally walked into the office and Kenny was on "Car restrictions for ....to allow access for bikes", or something like that was how he framed it. Straight over to 4FM to a Robbie Williams song, still more palatable.

He had Mannix Flynn on giving out that 3000 responses to a public consultation was not in any way representative of, well, just him essentially. Legal action was his solution. Mad stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If Strand Road is outbound only for motor traffic, and there is no turn right for inbound Merrion Rd traffic at Merrion Gates, Sidney Parade, or Sandymount Avenue, expect Serpentine Ave/Tritonville Road to be overrun with traffic - and good luck to anyone queueing to turn right at Church Avenue, to get to the East Link/Tom Clarke bridge.

Really liked how comparing parallel cycle lanes in a cycle network to parallel roads in the road network was Cuffe expecting people to go over fields to get to their house by Kenny!

I can't listen to PK any more for fear one of my eyes will burst out of its socket but I just don't get how a man his age who is so wealthy would be against more cycling in the city? What is he worried about? I thought it was supposed to appeal to middle class southsiders, something that always seems to be peddled in the media? My parents would be a similar age to Pat and are all for more cycling and still use their bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

I can't listen to PK any more for fear one of my eyes will burst out of its socket but I just don't get how a man his age who is so wealthy would be against more cycling in the city? What is he worried about? I thought it was supposed to appeal to middle class southsiders, something that always seems to be peddled in the media? My parents would be a similar age to Pat and are all for more cycling and still use their bikes.

But are your parents radio presenters on a right-leaning station that needs to generate content to draw in and engage/outrage listeners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Part of the answer to that comes if you listen to the very first thing you hear nearly every single time you open up Newstalk stream online -

"Peugeot.......BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH..... Volvo..... BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...... Audi BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH ..... Toyota.... BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH"

etc etc. PK understands very well how his bread is buttered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭plodder

check_six wrote: »
    He had Mannix Flynn on giving out that 3000 responses to a public consultation was not in any way representative of, well, just him essentially. Legal action was his solution. Mad stuff!
    It's tiresome all right and sounding so like Trump. 'The public consultation couldn't be right because the conclusion isn't what I want'.

He's a cyclist, and motorcyclist himself, as he reminded us today :rolleyes:

All these shows, like breakfast, the last word, pat kenny are reliant on people being stuck in their cars for listenership. That's why they are bias against remote working and active travel. As others have pointed out with the advertising.

They're actually a great advert for the licence fee/ public service broadcasting, as it shows the influence the need for advertising has on current affairs content.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    He's a cyclist, and motorcyclist himself, as he reminded us today :rolleyes:

All these shows, like breakfast, the last word, pat kenny are reliant on people being stuck in their cars for listenership. That's why they are bias against remote working and active travel. As others have pointed out with the advertising.

They're actually a great advert for the licence fee/ public service broadcasting, as it shows the influence the need for advertising has on current affairs content.

But aren't RTE programs like Morning Ireland sponsored by Toyota etc too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

check_six wrote: »

Doing a stats course at the minute, now off the top of my head, 3000 would not only do for a small area like there, but if it were random, it would be a large enough population size for a nationwide survey to be statistically overpowered. There are obviously biases here as this relies on people to write in, so either, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians are equally engaged in writing in and the study is representative, or only cyclists are engaged and it is heavily biased, in which case, as with all political decisions (which this should not be), you get what you voted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

But aren't RTE programs like Morning Ireland sponsored by Toyota etc too?

Yes, they are. Renault have sponsored RTE Late Late show for as long as I can remember

They may be sponsored by the car companies, but I've found them far less bias when it comes to some of the changes Covid has brought about. I gave up listening to Matt Cooper as he is so anti-remote working/ pro getting everyone back in the office. I haven't heard the same agenda on Drivetime or Morning Ireland. RTE have been more likely to focus on the benefits, such as the potential for living and working in rural communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,608 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They may be sponsored by the car companies, but I've found them far less bias when it comes to some of the changes Covid has brought about. I gave up listening to Matt Cooper as he is so anti-remote working/ pro getting everyone back in the office. I haven't heard the same agenda on Drivetime or Morning Ireland. RTE have been more likely to focus on the benefits, such as the potential for living and working in rural communities.

RTE I dont think have any agenda against bikes. Some of the coverage can be a bit amateur and misguided and they give the vested talking heads too much time but its not down to any hatred of cycling like Pat

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how bad RTÉ is overall. I remember some pretty misframed Prime Time bits, and I don't feel as if most of their programming in general is meant for me, but Pat Kenny is outright hostile, and buffoonishly so.

Advertisement