Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Anyway, thanks eeeee. Very informative!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'm still not sure that many people ride horses frequently, though I am aware it's a bigger business in Ireland than most countries. I've no interest myself but I have relatives who were trainers. I can't find any figures for actual riding. There seem to be about 3 or 4 horses per 100 people, which is the third highest figure in Europe, but I don't know what that means for people riding.

I was thinking of the illegal sulky racing, rather than use of that apparatus generally. I just wondered whether that contributed to the referrals, as group racing on open roads like that seems on the face of it hazardous.

Sulky/harness racing I don't think is the biggest cause, there isn't a huge amount of it legal or illegal.
    Definitely more people cycle, but people who are around horses - riders aren't' the only ones with the potential for injury - equine dentists, vets, breeders, etc. all handle horses more than the average cyclist cycles, so more room for injury. It's also much more dangerous than cycling.

I am also giving myself an OT warning. Horses are the easiest way to make me go off track!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one great thing about bikes is that they don't throw you off if they see a discarded crisp packet.
    at the stables my wife goes to, one of the other women there was mounting her horse when it appears the horse inhaled a feather. the woman ended up mildly concussed.

My daughter went to a birthday party in an equestrian center, and they all got to go for a cautious ride. Looked very enjoyable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Letter in today's IT...
    Sharing the road
    Sir, – I’m a car driver, a motorcyclist and a cyclist. I live in the countryside and regularly cycle about three kilometres into Mullingar in the morning before breakfast to get The Irish Times.

Recently, while cycling home on a twisty section of the road with a continuous white line, I was passed so closely by a lovely shiny black 2019 Audi that I thought I was a goner.

A few minute later I caught up with the self-same Audi at a railway crossing where the gates were closed to allow a train to pass. I spoke politely to the driver and reminded her that when she next read in the paper about a road fatality involving a cyclist and a car, more than likely the cyclist was someone like me and the car driver might be someone like her. Her reply? “You were in my way.” – Yours, etc,

PHILIP GINNELL.
    Mullingar,
    Co Westmeath.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/sharing-the-road-1.4450864

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If the level of irony in that audi drivers comment ever hits her, it could kill her stone dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'm still not sure that many people ride horses frequently, though I am aware it's a bigger business in Ireland than most countries. I've no interest myself but I have relatives who were trainers. I can't find any figures for actual riding. There seem to be about 3 or 4 horses per 100 people, which is the third highest figure in Europe, but I don't know what that means for people riding.

I was thinking of the illegal sulky racing, rather than use of that apparatus generally. I just wondered whether that contributed to the referrals, as group racing on open roads like that seems on the face of it hazardous.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/emi/2018/7394390/

https://www.oatext.com/pdf/CSRR-2-122.pdf

40% of sports related spine injuries reported to the spinal injury unit.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/emi/2018/7394390/

https://www.oatext.com/pdf/CSRR-2-122.pdf

40% of sports related spine injuries reported to the injury unit.

... that required hospitalization? That's amazing really, isn't it? A woman stopped me in the street last year to chat about the cargo bike, quite nice, but sort of helmet scolded me at the end, telling me how horse riders all wore helmets, "we all do". Well, without going helmet thread, I did wonder at the time if her risk analysis might be a little wonky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

many horsey people also wear body protectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

... that required hospitalization? That's amazing really, isn't it? A woman stopped me in the street last year to chat about the cargo bike, quite nice, but sort of helmet scolded me at the end, telling me how horse riders all wore helmets, "we all do". Well, without going helmet thread, I did wonder at the time if her risk analysis might be a little wonky.

40% of sports related spine injuries reported to the spinal injury unit are equestrian related.

I think because for people involved it's such rewarding activity;connection with a smart animal, it's fun, social aspect etc that the very real risk of very significant injuries are overlooked.

• Advertisement

like cycling, horse riding can comprise many different activities of varying degrees of risk. jumping, dressage, hacking, hunting etc.

the woman who my wife got her horse from, got kicked in the face during a cross country event (she fell off her horse, into the path of the following horse) and her face was split open; multiple sessions of plastic surgery required to address the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

I have relatives who are jockeys, horse trainers and farriers. All of them have suffered injuries of some description, directly related to working with horses

Oh yes, I'm totally on board with people riding horses. I just did wonder if me riding off peak on suburban streets on a slow bike was really comparable.

And by "wonder" you know I mean "very much doubt"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,611 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Oh yes, I'm totally on board with people riding horses. I just did wonder if me riding off peak on suburban streets on a slow bike was really comparable.

Are the horses as on board with it ?

I don't know, I must confess. I'm ok with humans taking non-overwhelming risks of their own volition though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ding ding ding - a fish has taken the bait...
    Sir, – In light of the increased interest in cycling, the expansion of cycle lanes and nationwide greenways, and the very sad reality of cycling-related brain injuries (News, January 5th), is it not high time to make the wearing of helmets by cyclists compulsory? – Yours, etc,

Dr ANNE O’FLYNN,
    Terenure ,
    Dublin 6W.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/safer-cycling-for-all-1.4451679

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Can directly relate to this - have been a commute cyclist for many many years but only in the past two years has it become my main form of exercise, due to knee problems that stop me from running or playing any other sports that involve twisting and turning - basically all the sports I used to play.

So cycling and swimming is it for me really now, and I dont particularly enjoy swimming.

As an aside - this is one of the reasons I really detest the sneer term MAMIL. For lots of middle aged people, cycling is one of the very few types of exercise available, and yet they get sneered at for doing so. There are all sorts of politically correct terms that cant be used these days, but cycling / male and middle aged seems to be at very sweet spot of what is a legitimate target for journalists.

Now my parents are cycling too, and during lockdown its a great way to spend time together without necessarily being sitting beside each other.

I agree completely on the BTW - I suppose it needs to be renamed to some extent though, because it is a tax exemption on salary. All very well to 'call' for it to be opened up (the easy bit). Lets hear how this would work (the hard bit).

The other point - I've more and more of an issue with electric bikes. I just think people are using them as mini motorbikes, particularly teenagers. I think the 25k speed limit is too high basically.

And obviously mandatory for gaelic footballers also given the very high numbers associated with this sport in the analysis. She did mention this...... didnt she?

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The other point - I've more and more of an issue with electric bikes. I just think people are using them as mini motorbikes, particularly teenagers. I think the 25k speed limit is too high basically.
    i suspect they're on bikes which don't adhere to the regs.
    around here, there are loads of teenagers on fiidos - and they're not compliant with the regs.
    if the bike is able to move without them pedalling, it's definitely not classed as an e-bike, regardless of the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I agree completely on the BTW - I suppose it needs to be renamed to some extent though, because it is a tax exemption on salary. All very well to 'call' for it to be opened up (the easy bit). Lets hear how this would work (the hard bit).
    I think the big advantage to the BTW from government point of view is that is basically self administers, employers do all the paperwork with Revenue doing spot checks (if even that). It will require resources to open it up.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I think the big advantage to the BTW from government point of view is that is basically self administers, employers do all the paperwork with Revenue doing spot checks (if even that). It will require resources to open it up.

Thats it really.

The big 'unspoken' issue with regard to public services is Process.

Its very easy to talk about what should be done or shouldnt.

The much more challenging piece is, How will it work.

Even the BTW, while I guess it does self administer, these is still a reasonable amount of process in it. The bike shops give up quite a bit of margin on these bikes to the voucher companies. What exactly do the voucher companies do? I am not clear on this part.

Can directly relate to this - have been a commute cyclist for many many years but only in the past two years has it become my main form of exercise, due to knee problems that stop me from running or playing any other sports that involve twisting and turning - basically all the sports I used to play.

So cycling and swimming is it for me really now, and I dont particularly enjoy swimming.

As an aside - this is one of the reasons I really detest the sneer term MAMIL. For lots of middle aged people, cycling is one of the very few types of exercise available, and yet they get sneered at for doing so. There are all sorts of politically correct terms that cant be used these days, but cycling / male and middle aged seems to be at very sweet spot of what is a legitimate target for journalists.

Now my parents are cycling too, and during lockdown its a great way to spend time together without necessarily being sitting beside each other.

Would a reduction on VAT for bikes work? Would apply to everybody then.

Would a reduction on VAT for bikes work? Would apply to everybody then.

Yes - but the BTW is a game changer as it is such a substantial discount.

But yes, the VAT piece would help a lot.

TBH - another issue at present is bike availability - they cant be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Totally agree on the lack of availability of a bike subsidy for retirees. My mother uses an old ebike to great effect - she bought it under the BTW scheme while she was obviously working. Now she wants to replace / upgrade and the financial impact is considerable. As usual C.Cuffe is on the ball btw.

I disagree on the 25k limit being to high, quite the opposite. I have an ebike and am mostly dropped by any roadbike / hybrid as they are usually quicker than that. I think if the assistance limit was higher, more people would move to ebikes from cars and less people would be inclined to derestrict them. Its all moot anyway as the 25kph assistance limit is set by brussels so it will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,108 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i suspect they're on bikes which don't adhere to the regs.
    around here, there are loads of teenagers on fiidos - and they're not compliant with the regs.
    if the bike is able to move without them pedalling, it's definitely not classed as an e-bike, regardless of the speed.

Every youngefella on the northside is on one of these fido things now, how did this happen? Seemed to be overnight.
    Has anyone used one? Are they any good?

Well actually the fact that we're getting better infrastructure would suggest we will not require helmets so much going forward

Well actually the fact that we're getting better infrastructure would suggest we will not require helmets so much going forward

Certainly, the consensus among most campaigners seems to be that the h-word is, whatever its merits, not the top issue, and people bringing it up all the time is distracting from the issues that do have to be addressed.

• Advertisement

It's so petty of people to start demanding cyclists wear helmets when they couldn't care less about cyclists' safety

Advertisement