Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Three people fined for travelling 80km for a burger
    Twenty-nine people have been fined €100 each for breaching Covid-19 restrictions since the introduction of new enforcement measures on Monday.
    Two cyclists from separate households were find after being stopped near Carrick in Co Galway.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2021/0114/1189771-29-people-fined-for-breaching-5km-limit-since-monday/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2021/0114/1189771-29-people-fined-for-breaching-5km-limit-since-monday/

Two cyclists from separate households were find after being stopped near Carrick in Co Galway.

Sounds like a very remote or an isolated place.
    I have lived in Galway County and City for decades now - were exactly is "Carrick"?
    Never heard of it before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://www.townlands.ie/galway/ross/cong/cong/carrick-west/

there's a carrick middle and east too, all contiguous. so i guess that's carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Nice Scenic area, pretty remote area really, never heard Corr na Mona referred to as Carrick though.
    I think its a typo in RTE report. I suspect its Carrick, Roscommon but the cyclists were Co Galway residents? Its near border with Mayo and Galway on the N60 between Ballyhaunis and Ballinlough
    https://goo.gl/maps/doyspiMFByhm8Gu6A

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seems a bit petty tbh. There are the usual rat lickers broadcasting their trips up North on Facebook every weekend and the Gardaí seem to give them a free pass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They most likely failed the Garda attitude test, I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

Stark wrote: »
    Seems a bit petty tbh. There are the usual rat lickers broadcasting their trips up North on Facebook every weekend and the Gardaí seem to give them a free pass.

What's a rat licker?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

cletus wrote: »
    What's a rat licker?

Member of the anti-mask/anti-vax/anti-lockdown brigade. Someone coined the term "rat licker" to imply that if they lived in bubonic plague times, they'd be the ones going around licking rats because people told them not to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My favourite story from the first lockdown was a friend of mine who lives near Rosslare and he was sticking strictly to the limit. Going through a checkpoint he was stopped and asked where he was going to and where he was from. The Garda got annoyed with him, after presumably being lied too most of the day and sent him packing and told him if he turned in at the next junction (a popular route, but went straight to his house) he'd lift him, so the Garda made him cycle a further 15km as it was the only way to go in a loop to get back to his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    My favourite story from the first lockdown...

A friend who is a Garda was stopped the Easter weekend in south Dublin, when the crackdown on Dubs heading down the country was in full effect.

He was off duty in civvies, travelling as a passenger. When asked their business, he said that they'd been driven most of the way down to their holiday home in Wexford, but realised they'd forgotten the barbecue and were coming back for it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd say they were somewhat unlucky in that they were caught in the first period of the extra enforcement policy, where the gardaí are setting the precedent, particularly ahead of the weekend. However, the rules are clear.

I was stopped in the car yesterday (valid reason), and was quite surprised at the questioning I got when I hit a check point. Definitely wasn't just a token stop and wave through anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's really ridiculous that the authorities lose their sh*t if you make something self propelling, be it a bike or a scooter or something.
    We should be encouraging things like this, and motorbikes and vespa type scooters in my opinion. Anything that isn't a car.
    The Garda seem to take things like this far more seriously than considerably worse "crimes" that you'd see regularly.

CramCycle wrote: »

I loved this bit
    Garda Lynch said that a seized vehicle which is not claimed back, might be destroyed. That was in response to a question from Judge Kelleher who laughed when he asked the guard: “Where is the bike now? Are you driving it yourself?”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's really ridiculous that the authorities lose their sh*t if you make something self propelling, be it a bike or a scooter or something.
    We should be encouraging things like this, and motorbikes and vespa type scooters in my opinion. Anything that isn't a car.
    The Garda seem to take things like this far more seriously than considerably worse "crimes" that you'd see regularly.

We're asking the wrong questions. Surely the core of this should be "was Mr Dos Santos wearing a helmet and hi-viz clothing??"

I think there's eScooter legislation being passed today in the Dail. I said this in one of my whatsapp groups with friends and they're all saying "ban them get them off the roads they're dangerous", yes because they cause so much mayhem on the roads. Idiots!
    Some people wouldn't be happy unless there were no bikes or scooters and everyone was driving a Qashqai or Suzuki Vitaras, they're ever so safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,612 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think there's eScooter legislation being passed today in the Dail. I said this in one of my whatsapp groups with friends and they're all saying "ban them get them off the roads they're dangerous", yes because they cause so much mayhem on the roads. Idiots!
    Some people wouldn't be happy unless there were no bikes or scooters and everyone was driving a Qashqai or Suzuki Vitaras, they're ever so safe.

What makes them look dangerous is they are mostly ridden by kids.
    There are a few round my estate who hop off paths onto the road without looking or drive up the wrong side of the road but they are no more dangerous than all the kids running across the road or playing soccer on the road really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What makes them look dangerous is they are mostly ridden by kids.
    There are a few round my estate who hop off paths onto the road without looking or drive up the wrong side of the road but they are no more dangerous than all the kids running across the road or playing soccer on the road really

This.

I've a big bugbear around the fact that people see kids in scooters, and think scooters are dangerous, they see kids on bikes and think cyclists are dangerous.

But they never never see teenagers in cars and think cars are dangerous.

Its prime double think.

And the tragic irony here is that cars are phenomenally more dangerous when driven by teenagers, compared with bikes or scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,612 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    This.

I've a big bugbear around the fact that people see kids in scooters, and think scooters are dangerous, they see kids on bikes and think cyclists are dangerous.

Its prime double think.

And the tragic irony here is that cars are phenomenally more dangerous when driven by teenagers, compared with bikes or scooters.

Insurance companies certainly see teenagers as high risk in a car given the premium they charge.

Difference is there are very young kids on bikes and scooters but because people who don't like bikes see what they want to see they refuse to make the distinction between a 12yo and a commuter on a bike but are happy to make the distinction between a car commuter and lads re enacting the circuit of Ireland rally on country roads or doing 60 in a 30 residental zone

This.

Its prime double think.

There were a few teenagers killed in cars last year that spring to mind, but they prefer to focus on scooters and tiny engines on bicycles.
    When are they going to put speed limiters on cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There was some research done in the UK that suggested that cars were more dangerous to the teenagers driving the car as well as those outside the car, compared with teenagers getting around by other transport modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

God that's horrific. It has been proven time and time again that if you want to murder someone here, use a car and you'll get off lightly.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40191264.html

This wan didn't even do any time at all for trying to run over 2 teenage girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

God that's horrific. It has been proven time and time again that if you want to murder someone here, use a car and you'll get off lightly.

Ah sure 'tis a bit of history with that particular one boss: https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/five-before-court-over-alleged-hit-and-run-car-park-feud-incident-39498616.html

i don't remember reading *that* enid blyton book when i was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/kerry-co-council-express-concerns-over-any-delays-to-greenway-plan-1064614.html

At least it looks like Kerry Co Co are eager to push on with the development

To this day, I still can't get around people driving off after an accident. It's so bizarre, the complete lack of what I would define as basic morality is astounding. I've seen both sides of it myself but thankfully not on any incident this serious, witnessed drivers go round a body on the road and continue on. I mean, where did we go wrong.

A friend postulated that its basic survivor mentality. You stay, you definitely get in trouble, and there appears to be no extra leniency unlike other countries given for doing the right thing. Whereas if you run, you might not get caught but so long as you apologise and seem contrite, you will almost certainly receive the same sentence or less than you would have for doing the right thing. This led me down the path that we have a lot of higher functioning sociopaths in society and also that we should adjust our legal system to encourage some sense of morality in those who are incapable of it. Personally I couldn't run, maybe I am the idiot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Shame that the judge didn't take her up on her offer; "I’ll go to jail for you."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tenzor07 wrote: »

The link showed up this interesting headline, which is the kind of driving I could probably get behind.

539627.jpg

https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/soldier-charged-with-carless-driving-said-gardai-pulled-gun-on-him-39975057.html

• Advertisement

Does that mean he's out of the Army, I have vague recollection that getting a conviction would lead to dismissal.

Advertisement