Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Tenzor07 wrote: »

But... if you're cycling along say the Clontarf to Sutton cycle lane as an example, should a Mask be worn?

No

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The article says:
    There is a debate in the UK about making it mandatory for joggers and cyclists to wear masks if they cannot maintain a distance of at least one metre from pedestrians.
    Surely if pedestrians are in an area where they cannot maintain a social distance (joggers, cyclists, pedestrians, whatever) then surely they should be wearing masks? This seems to escape the attention of the "journalist".

Anyhow, in typical fashion for the comments to any journal article on cycling, very few of the comments actually relate to the article! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think this is a really awful piece by The Journal.

They had made efforts to be 'friends' of the cyclist in recent times, but this reverses it completely for me.

This social media mania of finding scapegoats for COVID, championed happily by commercial media outlets, has been one of the very worst aspects of the past year.

Yes it’s an absolute rag , some of the comments and reply’s . There really is some pig ignorance out there ..
    ”I seen a cyclist once....
    “ One time 3 of us where out walking -taking up the whole path and a runner came by and the neck of him wanting to run on the same path Instead of running on the road..

Usual brain dead stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I was cycling in Malaga last November and spoke with a local cyclist, he was wearing a mask whilst cycling/out training on the main road back into the city, says that each region had it's rules about masks and cyclists/joggers were mandated to mask up... not sure how well it was enforced, I didn't wear one on the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

The article says:
    Surely if pedestrians are in an area where they cannot maintain a social distance (joggers, cyclists, pedestrians, whatever) then surely they should be wearing masks? This seems to escape the attention of the "journalist".

Anyhow, in typical fashion for the comments to any journal article on cycling, very few of the comments actually relate to the article! :rolleyes:

Thought the same thing; Also being within a metre or two for a runner/cyclist is very close relatively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think this is a really awful piece by The Journal.

They had made efforts to be 'friends' of the cyclist in recent times, but this reverses it completely for me.

This social media mania of finding scapegoats for COVID, championed happily by commercial media outlets, has been one of the very worst aspects of the past year.

I see all these '2y, 6y,' people in the comments. They must get something from The Journal that I cannot, maybe the debate with other comments, for the articles are so insipid, chock full of obvious takes. A near 40% for joggers and cyclists to wear masks if they cannot distance suggests a place to avoid, like as before. Hopefully many of the comments there are sarcastic, which sometimes cannot come across in short typed comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As someone who runs more than cycles, it's all very depressing. One comfort at the moment is the days are short so the likes of the Phoenix Park etc. are very quiet in the evening. And you can't see the dirty looks on people's faces when you do encounter someone :pac: I'm seriously hoping the hysteria has diffused somewhat by the time we have long evenings again. Hopefully things might not be as tense if over-70s are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I saw a cyclist spit at a, woman in Dublin because she dare med to cross the road when the traffic was a standstill, not all cyclists but some need manners our on them

FML

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Stark wrote: »
    As someone who runs more than cycles, it's all very depressing. One comfort at the moment is the days are short so the likes of the Phoenix Park etc. are very quiet in the evening. And you can't see the dirty looks on people's faces when you do encounter someone :pac: I'm seriously hoping the hysteria has diffused somewhat by the time we have long evenings again. Hopefully things might not be as tense if over-70s are vaccinated.

I'm with ya.
    I'm fed up of the dirty looks from couples walking.

Very luckily we've a beach 500m from home and plenty back roads about. I've given up on paths for the foreseeable.

I've actually had a fella shout at me to "Give some ****ing room" as he and his wife took up the entire path at to walk the dog.

I thought it was bad around us. Had the misfortune of running through Skerries on stephens day. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've given up on pants for the foreseeable.

Is it bad that this is how I read your post? Also I thought "I'm with you on that one!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm with ya.
    I'm fed up of the dirty looks from couples walking.

Very luckily we've a beach 500m from home and plenty back roads about. I've given up on paths for the foreseeable.

I've actually had a fella shout at me to "Give some ****ing room" as he and his wife took up the entire path at to walk the dog.

I thought it was bad around us. Had the misfortune of running through Skerries on stephens day. Yikes.

The assumption is that all runners are just gonna go straight through you without stopping same as with cyclists but it's all based on "almost happens" or basing everyone based on the bad few.

I have given up on share cycle paths cause it's just too slow and too much stopping for what I want to do

OMG Yes. My morning commute on the North quays is actually relevant pleasant these days (until you get to the ****show that is Eden Quay anyway). The commute home is absolutely terrifying.

Not sure what will be involved. Good to see that the St. John's road/Victoria Quay junction gets a mention because that's probably the worst part.

There was work going on on Merchant's Quay when I passed today. Left side of road being dug up and looks like kerb segregation is going in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not cycling, but just...

Driver filmed himself at 225km/h minutes before triple fatal crash, court told
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0129/1193917-dundalk-crash-case/

manslaughter? how could any sane person not just treat that as murder, pure and simple. that was not an accident.

not cycling, but just...

Driver filmed himself at 225km/h minutes before triple fatal crash, court told
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0129/1193917-dundalk-crash-case/

manslaughter? how could any sane person not just treat that as murder, pure and simple. that was not an accident.

It will be Involuntary manslaughter by an unlawful and dangerous act, where the killing involves an act constituting a criminal offence, carrying with it the risk of bodily harm to the person killed.

The Law Reform Commission put together a recommendation on modifying some parts of murder/manslaughter elements of the law. Summary is here and summary of the summary is below and the main report is here
    Current law on murder and involuntary manslaughter

The law of homicide in Ireland is currently divided into murder and manslaughter.

Murder occurs if a person intended to kill, or cause serious injury to, another person who dies as a result. Murder convictions can include situations where a killing was planned in advance; where the victim was knowingly shot; and where the accused is aware that the natural consequences of their actions would lead to death. For example, in The People (DPP) v John Cullen (1982), the accused was convicted of murder after he had thrown a fire bomb through the window of a house and where three women in the house died in the resulting blaze.

Manslaughter is an unlawful killing that is not murder and currently consists of two categories, voluntary manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter.

Voluntary manslaughter deals with what would otherwise be murder but where there is some excusing circumstance - such as provocation - which reduces the offence from murder to manslaughter. The Commission is examining on voluntary manslaughter in a separate project on defences in criminal law, so the Report being published today deals with murder and involuntary manslaughter.

Involuntary manslaughter currently comprises two sub-categories.

First, manslaughter by an unlawful and dangerous act, where the killing involves an act constituting a criminal offence, carrying with it the risk of bodily harm to the person killed. The People (DPP) v Wayne O’Donoghue (2005), which involved an assault resulting in death, was a conviction for unlawful and dangerous act manslaughter.

The second sub-category is gross negligence manslaughter, where the death arises from a negligent act or omission by the accused involving a high risk of substantial personal injury. In The People (DPP) v Cullagh (1998) the accused was convicted of gross negligence manslaughter after a woman died when her chair became detached from a 20-year-old chairoplane ride at the accused’s funfair. He had bought the chairoplane after it had been in an open field for 3 years. Although the accused only became aware after the death that there was rust on the inside of the chairoplane which had caused the accident, he was aware of its generally decrepit state when he bought it.

Interestingly it also states the following in relation to motoring offences causing death:
    As to related motoring offences, the Commission recommends that dangerous driving causing death should continue to exist alongside the more serious offence of manslaughter. Drivers could be prosecuted for manslaughter for road deaths but only where there is very high culpability, such as where joy-riding or high alcohol levels and speeding are involved. The Commission also recommends that a new offence of “careless driving causing death” should be introduced to cover fatalities caused by careless motoring.

Severe suspended sentence coming his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Extremely severe and extremely suspended.

Yup.

Just death by car......i.e. not a real death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i just think that if you go out and wilfully act in an incredibly dangerous manner - one in which you know will result in deaths of others if you mess up in the slightest - any deaths you cause should also be considered as wilful on your part.
    the notion that you could walk down grafton street waving a sword around, and then claim it was involuntary if you hurt anyone, is as tenable as the notion that guy is guilty of involuntary manslaughter. he 'volunteered' to drive a car at double the maximum speed limit, while filming it.

i just think that if you go out and wilfully act in an incredibly dangerous manner - one in which you know will result in deaths of others if you mess up in the slightest - any deaths you cause should also be considered as wilful on your part.
    the notion that you could walk down grafton street waving a sword around, and then claim it was involuntary if you hurt anyone, is as tenable as the notion that guy is guilty of involuntary manslaughter. he 'volunteered' to drive a car at double the maximum speed limit, while filming it.

I think you are focusing on one word too much here. Not saying that I disagree with your thoughts on how sentencing should go though however the courts take a different approach and must consider all factors when determining a sentence e.g. Time served, previous record, remorse etc etc etc and not just the issue in question.

Manslaughter in Ireland is bizarre in the sense that a sentence can be as low as a fine all the way to life imprisonment and anywhere in between

• Advertisement

the irish times weekend section is dedicated to how we coud reimagine dublin city; this is one of the articles from it:

Walkable, cycle-friendly Dublin: The planning model that could change the city
    Dublin city is undergoing a remarkable transformation. After years, decades even, of stalled progress on cycling and pedestrian schemes, they are suddenly springing up like weeds across the city.

Never before has there been such momentum in the installation of segregated, protected cycle lanes, but also in better provision for pedestrians with the creation of wider footpaths pedestrianised zones and the rebalancing of traffic lights in their favour.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/walkable-cycle-friendly-dublin-the-planning-model-that-could-change-the-city-1.4469161

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ngunners

the irish times weekend section is dedicated to how we coud reimagine dublin city; this is one of the articles from it:

Walkable, cycle-friendly Dublin: The planning model that could change the city

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/walkable-cycle-friendly-dublin-the-planning-model-that-could-change-the-city-1.4469161

“One of the reasons is the ostensible “temporary” nature of these projects. “The problem with large infrastructural projects to date is that you have to dig down to put them in, it involves messing around with utilities, undertaking large civil works,” Reidy says.

“The beauty of the Covid mobility programme is that they were temporary, interim measures that were capable of being rolled out through rapid deployment and can be taken up in time if needs be. So there was no ‘big dig’ or major civil works involved.”

The “emergency” nature of the works, done as they were in response to the pandemic, also facilitated speedy development, she says.

“These things usually involve large stakeholder engagement and sometimes planning [permission].”

It seems crazy that it required a crisis for such simple and obvious improvements to take place.

Newstalk had an item on the new parking fines coming in to DCC.

Manix Flynn was on sprouting ****e about people just popping to the shops.

He declared they should be ok to park on paths outside there houses!!

Kieran Ryan of Dublin Cycling Campaign was on to counter.

Why the **** did he agree to go on? I mean the item was about illegal parking and fines for motorists.

I'd have thought that any cycling campaigner would have the sense to steer well clear. He was teed up to look like he was gloating

Manix Flynn was on sprouting ****e about people jtliat popping to the shops.

He declared they should be ok to 0ark on paths outside there houses!!

Why the **** did he agree to go on? I mean the item was about illegal parking and fines for motorists.

I'd have thought that any cycling campaigner would have the sense to steer well clear. He was teed up to look like he was gloating

This is why I stopped listening to the Pat Kenny show. That ape Mannix Flynn seems to be to go to person for things about parking and bicycles etc. Makes me despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

ebike-legislation/
    Under current Irish law, ebikes are not classed as ‘mechanically propelled vehicles’ (MPVs) or as pedal bicycles. Ebikes will now be legislated for using EU standards as a reference point and will be treated mainly in the same way as pedal cycles while the more powerful models of eBike will be treated as light mopeds.

Irish Times: Naas ban on cars using canal-side route has proved very popular
    Local councillor says council is using lockdown to advance planning for all its active travel routes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Irish Times: Naas ban on cars using canal-side route has proved very popular
    Local councillor says council is using lockdown to advance planning for all its active travel routes

My favorite line.

The temporary closure was put forward by local man and county councillor Bill Clear, who said he got the idea for a network of interconnected greenways after spending time in Seattle in the US.

Are some people just oblivious to what is occurring in there own Country?

My favorite line.

The temporary closure was put forward by local man and county councillor Bill Clear, who said he got the idea for a network of interconnected greenways after spending time in Seattle in the US.

Are some people just oblivious to what is occurring in there own Country?

Perfect excuse for public funded jollies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Manix Flynn was on sprouting ****e about people just popping to the shops.

He declared they should be ok to park on paths outside there houses!!

That's his default setting.

Advertisement