Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Steoller wrote: »
    Ah damn. I've been asking my local councillors to consider linking up the greenways through Leixlip/Celbridge. But I don't think they have that amount to spend.
    The project might have been easier in the sense that you'd be dealing with just the one County Council.
    Plus they could have run it along a route avoiding the hills on either side of Lucan village which may put off many weaker riders.

This is from the UK but I could well imagine a similar joke of a sentence being given in this country...
    Driver spared jail 'by the skin of your teeth' after smashing into cyclist and fleeing the scene
    An unlicensed and uninsured driver who fled after mowing down a biker has been warned he could have killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

New cycleways in Melbourne are causing heartache and confusion for the poor motorists...

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1358686748025516037

There's some lad at about the 5 second mark on the video that if you unfocus your eyes a bit looks a bit like George Hook with a combover

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,617 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Weepsie wrote: »

A few of these little parklets have been popping up round Limerick over the last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

JMcL wrote: »
    There's some lad at about the 5 second mark on the video that if you unfocus your eyes a bit looks a bit like George Hook with a combover

Based on your description, I suspect the reward doesn't match the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,700 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pat Kenny Newstalk about to tackle the proposed rental scheme for e-scooters in Dublin
    brace yerselves

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i shall prepare myself, as always, by not having newstalk tuned in on the radio.

zell12 wrote: »
    Pat Kenny Newstalk about to tackle the proposed rental scheme for e-scooters in Dublin
    brace yerselves

Pat worried about all the damage they will do to the underneath of his urban tractor when he is driving over them to get to work :D

Newstalk - Dutch company DOT Duncan Robertson now speaking about e-scooter street rentals
    https://ridedott.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pat getting in his petty little digs at cyclists even though its nothing to do with the topic.

Scooter guy talked very well. Sounds like some interesting tech available in their system -

- testing rider reactions at times when drunk riding could be a problem and blocking vehicle use if necessary.
    - Restricting speed automatically in areas where mixing with pedestrians etc.
    - Blocking vehicle use completely from areas where its use is unsuitable for the environment

Wonder what are the chances of the motoring community accepting some of that tech into cars :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Cyclist robs 50,000 euro in Crumlin Post Office raid.

https://www.independent.ie/news/man-in-an-post-uniform-takes-part-in-robbery-of-50000-40081358.html

Okay. I'll get my coat.

Irish Times online had an article about the Vuelta route on the main sports page without having to root through the "other sport" section for ages. That is surely a win by Irish media standards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Cyclist robs 50,000 euro in Crumlin Post Office raid.

https://www.independent.ie/news/man-in-an-post-uniform-takes-part-in-robbery-of-50000-40081358.html

Okay. I'll get my coat.

In addition, Gardaí are appealing to any road users - including motorists, cyclists and pedestrians who were in the area at this time - who may have camera footage (including dash cam) to make this available.

Glad to see its useful for something......

Less interested when its a dangerous overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/fernando-alonso-conscious-and-well-in-himself-after-cycling-accident-1079928.html

This must be the ultimate "one of them becomes one of us" crossover story. He's not a cyclist. He's definitely a driver. In fact he's one of the world's best drivers. So what's the blame game when a driver on a bicycle is involved in a collision with a car?

(Best of luck to him either way, of course. Get well soon Alonso. I'd love to know what kind of bike he was riding.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

fat bloke wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/fernando-alonso-conscious-and-well-in-himself-after-cycling-accident-1079928.html

This must be the ultimate "one of them becomes one of us" crossover story. He's not a cyclist. He's definitely a driver. In fact he's one of the world's best drivers. So what's the blame game when a driver on a bicycle is involved in a collision with a car?

(Best of luck to him either way, of course. Get well soon Alonso. I'd love to know what kind of bike he was riding.)

"Driver on bike collides with car"

buffalo wrote: »
    "Driver on bike collides with car"

It doesnt give the nature of the accident. Not sure if a car was involved

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It doesnt give the nature of the accident. Not sure if a car was involved

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fernando-alonso-injured-hit-car/5382674/amp/

Differing reports and scant detail but there was a car (and presumably someone driving it) involved alright.

Car involved indeed and he allegedly has a jaw fracture...
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/56034657

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Car involved indeed and he allegedly has a jaw fracture...
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/56034657

"Sources close to Alonso say he was hit by a car"
    They'll have to update that to 'his bike and a car collided." God forbid, that a car hitting a cyclist gets spun like it was the drivers fault!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

" then all of a sudden, the cyclist picked up his bike and smashed its front wheel into the side of the other lad’s car."
    y'wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mvt

Typical- a weeks holidays of which the daily highlight has been loops of the park at roughly that time & I managed to miss this.
    I will say if I had a euro for every vehicle which speed straight through that stop sign I could have gone abroad & paid the fine.
    Always had it in my head that commercial traffic was restricted to the Chesterfield Avenue entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The whole story sounds completely concocted, it's a bit verbose to come across otherwise.

And unless the delivery drivers were delivering to somewhere in the park in their "truck", they shouldn't have been in there anyway.

Examiner letters
    UZVqa3h.png

What? You need a visa now to go for a cycle?

Is this a Brexit thing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What I can't understand with all these brilliant ideas is why there is so much desire among the general population for cyclists to wear a helmet?

I *sort of* understand why a driver might (in error) believe that hi-viz clothing makes a cyclist more visible and marginally less likely to be involved in an accident with a driver. That message has been shoved down motorists' throats for a long time now.

But I can't for the life of me understand why the common man or woman who doesn't cycle and frankly dislikes cyclists as a group, is so het up on cyclists wearing helmets.

I really don't get it. Is it (a) mantra repeated parrot-like from the RSA, (b) a motoring ploy to make cycling less convenient, and hence less likely, (c) a genuine concern for us as a cohort, (d) a convenient stick with which to beat us in the future in the absence of said article - "sure it can't be my fault, the gimp wasn't even wearing a helmet ffs".

A selection of all four? (leaving out the 3rd option of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

MojoMaker wrote: »
    What I can't understand with all these brilliant ideas is why there is so much desire among the general population for cyclists to wear a helmet?

I *sort of* understand why a driver might (in error) believe that hi-viz clothing makes a cyclist more visible and marginally less likely to be involved in an accident with a driver. That message has been shoved down motorists' throats for a long time now.

But I can't for the life of me understand why the common man or woman who doesn't cycle and frankly dislikes cyclists as a group, is so het up on cyclists wearing helmets.

I really don't get it. Is it (a) mantra repeated parrot-like from the RSA, (b) a motoring ploy to make cycling less convenient, and hence less likely, (c) a genuine concern for us as a cohort, (d) a convenient stick with which to beat us in the future in the absence of said article - "sure it can't be my fault, the gimp wasn't even wearing a helmet ffs".

A selection of all four? (leaving out the 3rd option of course).

I'd say its a combination of b) For some at least, they know mandatory helmets means less cyclists out on "their" roads.

and also (and I would consider this the main one) :

d) Victim Blaming: The question of cycists wearing a helmet allows them to push responsibilities of road safety away from themselves and onto others. The last thing many of these people want is a spotlight shone in on top of their own sh*tty driving.

• Advertisement

'i want you to take steps to absolve me of the damage i might do if i crash into you'?

Advertisement