Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Discussion on the weeks policing on Pat Kenny, mainly focussed on the protests. However, Gardaí saying they'll be enforcing household restrictions as well as distance, specifically mentioning cycling and walking. Of course Pat couldn't help get a little dig in, comparing the policing the crowds to a group of five cyclists, "all single file"...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jesus wept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

newstalk had david quinn on yesterday to discuss reclaim the streets. listed as the primary guest on that topic.

david quinn.
    on reclaim the streets.
    newstalk is just a professional troll at this point.

https://twitter.com/TheHardShoulder/status/1371486679605903364

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Macy0161 wrote: »
    However, Gardaí saying they'll be enforcing household restrictions as well as distance, specifically mentioning cycling and walking.

Ffs, you'd think they'd have more to be worrying about for St.Patrick's day than people walking or cycling too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

p15574 wrote:
    Yesterday's letters page in the Indo:

Surely that has to be top class trolling... It can't be serious....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Discussion on the weeks policing on Pat Kenny, mainly focussed on the protests. However, Gardaí saying they'll be enforcing household restrictions as well as distance, specifically mentioning cycling and walking. Of course Pat couldn't help get a little dig in, comparing the policing the crowds to a group of five cyclists, "all single file"...

Until we are out of this, every day should be enforcement day, not just St Patrick's Day or when there are demonstrations planned.

To be fair, I have seen cycling groups increasing in size. Two groups last Sunday, one 7, the other 9. The optics to other road users are not good. The Garda seem to turn a blind eye.

Lots of chancers out there working on non-essential building works. Activity is just going up and up.

I dread what will happen tomorrow with parties and gatherings in homes to wet the shamrock. A minority have never been in this together with the rest of us, and we are all impacted by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Absolutely. I don't listen anymore but I saw on twitter they had Ivan Yates on yesterday with a rant on the lockdown and we're all sheep, or words to that effect. And Ciara Kelly equally as contrarian, although she found herself in a bit of hot water a couple of times lately.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    The optics to other road users are not good.

Road users who are likely not within their 5km?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes, ultimately like a lot of Garda judgement based fines, he failed the "don't be a dick" test.
    I think we used to call it the Wil Wheaton test or rule.
    p15574 wrote: »
    Yesterday's letters page in the Indo:
    Green Party’s e-bike plans shortsighted and dangerous
    A few buzzword bingo terms, uncorrected by the Indo, eg "road tax", "insurance" and "driving test". also this: "the number of road traffic offences and accidents involving e-scooters has significantly increased over the past two years according to recent figures released"..."shudder to imagine the ensuant veritable explosion in road traffic accidents"

...but no comment on the zero deaths due to scooters, compared to the many hundreds every year due to motorists.
    He is on our local FB page, I might ask him to expand. An explosion of fatalities, interesting.
    newstalk had david quinn on yesterday to discuss reclaim the streets. listed as the primary guest on that topic.
    david quinn.
    on reclaim the streets.
    Dear lord, as David himself would ask. I want to listen but I am also quite relaxed at the minute so best not too.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    To be fair, I have seen cycling groups increasing in size. Two groups last Sunday, one 7, the other 9. The optics to other road users are not good. The Garda seem to turn a blind eye.
    Had to nip to the shop - group of 4 or 5 having their coffee outside the takeaway shop. (Which is what I've raised a few times in this context - cycling may (or may not) be fine, but then people can't resist the stop).

• Advertisement

Go to any takeaway coffee place in Dublin and you'll see dozens of people queuing and having coffee outside. Don't see why it's only an issue if they've cycled there.

Yes, outside coffee places within their own community, rather than potentially bringing it to another (or vica versa). Which is the point of travel restrictions - minimise contacts and the potential spread.

Stark wrote: »
    Go to any takeaway coffee place in Dublin and you'll see dozens of people queuing and having coffee outside. Don't see why it's only an issue if they've cycled there.

There's one in the carpark of the Bell pub just near the bridge over the railway track between Blanchardstown and Castleknock, they also do cake and ice creams (I'm sure that's what I saw kids eat anyway.) Beside it there's a bit fast food trailer.

Any time I've gone by, apart from one evening when we had that really cold spell, it has a decent crowd mulling around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Hurrache wrote: »
    Road users who are likely not within their 5km?

Maybe or most likely, but not guaranteed to be the case all the time. What is 100% without doubt is the group of cyclists are not exceeding the 2 household rule, and on top of that may also be outside their 5km too.

Yes, outside coffee places within their own community, rather than potentially bringing it to another (or vica versa). Which is the point of travel restrictions - minimise contacts and the potential spread.

Absolutely. People are driving to buy the coffee... Impossible to prevent or police. The individuals doing it just don't get the stay local, essential journeys within 5km to curb the spread. That's the reason the cases are currently predominantly associated with workplaces and homes now.
    Anyway, I had a nice cycle this morning. Nice to have a bit of warmth, but stiff breeze too.

Meanwhile, Australia's war on cyclists continues unabated

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1371727614583336961

• Registered Users Posts: 26,029 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Meanwhile, Australia's war on cyclists continues unabated

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1371727614583336961

Christ are helmets a legal requirement there.

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah I worked in NZ for a while and had a 10km cycle each way. I never wore a helmet but I'd have concerned workmates saying that they drove past me and I should really be wearing a helmet it's so dangerous. And they weren't even dangerous roads!
    I did get ticketed once but never paid it because I'm so bad ass.
    But yeah NZ/Oz is even worse for the cyclist hate than here.

Yeah I worked in NZ for a while and had a 10km cycle each way. I never wore a helmet but I'd have concerned workmates saying that they drove past me and I should really be wearing a helmet it's so dangerous. And they weren't even dangerous roads!
    I did get ticketed once but never paid it because I'm so bad ass.
    But yeah NZ/Oz is even worse for the cyclist hate than here.

Thing is I always wear mine but would be completely against people being forced to

There's a guy on Newstalk now talking about how they had to get rid of cycle lanes in Limerick last September because ambulances kept getting stuck in them. Is this true?

• Advertisement

There's a guy on Newstalk now talking about how they had to get rid of cycle lanes in Limerick last September because ambulances kept getting stuck in them. Is this true?

No. Was his name Niall Colgan if so all it stopped was people taking a left off the bridge into his hairdresser and having to go round the long way.

There was room for an ambulance on the still open lane next to it but Niall had a good cry in the paper about the suicide crisis that would come from ambulances not getting to the river to save them.

It was a temporary Covid measure on O'Callaghan Strand that lasted the full term it was intended for over the late summer period

That's disgraceful misrepresentation if that's the case.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That's disgraceful misrepresentation if that's the case.

Standard NIMBY stuff with added "wont somebody think of he children"

Its not even a busy road normally just adjacent to some busy roads

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

breezy1985 wrote: »
    No. Was his name Niall Colgan if so all it stopped was people taking a left off the bridge into his hairdresser and having to go round the long way.

There was room for an ambulance on the still open lane next to it but Niall had a good cry in the paper about the suicide crisis that would come from ambulances not getting to the river to save them.

It was a temporary Covid measure on O'Callaghan Strand that lasted the full term it was intended for over the late summer period

Hadn't noticed this at the time but just looked it up.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/uproar-over-bollards-on-ocallaghan-strand/

That is shameless stuff altogether. how someone can argue any emergency vehicle could be blocked while pointing their camera at 3 small bollards is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

This guy is an absolute idiot, in the news again stating he's opening for essential haircuts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40244882.html%3ftype=amp

Because haircuts are more essential then me getting to the next county and see my parents again!

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/uproar-over-bollards-on-ocallaghan-strand/

That is shameless stuff altogether. how someone can argue any emergency vehicle could be blocked while pointing their camera at 3 small bollards is madness.

They also didnt dig up the road right outside his studio and Cllr. Frankie "man of the people" Daly forgot to mention that you wouldnt see many cars on that road when he was counting bikes

This guy is an absolute idiot, in the news again stating he's opening for essential haircuts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40244882.html%3ftype=amp

Because haircuts are more essential then me getting to the next county and see my parents again!

He goes way beyond "idiot" and deep into "shameless pr1ck" territory there.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    No. Was his name Niall Colgan

I don't know who it was, but his argument was that Limerick people like their gardens and driveways and 99.99% of Irish people drive into town and want to be able to park and that's why there's no room for cycle lanes. No one lives in the city centre in Limerick like they do in Europe so it needs to be designed around people driving in, was his opinion. He was ok with greenways and cycle lanes in parks though.
    The thing is this is the voice of a large percentage of the population, so unless they just ignore them all and press on with car reducing projects, nothing will ever change.

I don't know who it was, but his argument was that Limerick people like their gardens and driveways and 99.99% of Irish people drive into town and want to be able to park and that's why there's no room for cycle lanes. No one lives in the city centre in Limerick like they do in Europe so it needs to be designed around people driving in, was his opinion. He was ok with greenways and cycle lanes in parks though.
    The thing is this is the voice of a large percentage of the population, so unless they just ignore them all and press on with car reducing projects, nothing will ever change.

No one who matters to him just apartments full of silly foreigners. I hear that garden comment a lot in Limerick then just get tuts when I point out Im from Limerick and would love a flat in town. I suppose he didnt remind the good people of Limerick to stop walking in and ignoring all these park cycle lanes for their safety seeing as he cares so much. Also his salon is under a block of flats that isnt all driveways and gardens.

O'Connell st. just got essential status so can go ahead during covid which Im sure dinosaurs like Colgan will see as a breach of human rights

https://www.limerick.ie/council/services/planning-and-property/oconnell-street/revitalisation

• Advertisement

Some very old journalism and cycling.

https://ifiplayer.ie/safe-cycling/

Advertisement