Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Letter in today's Irish Times
    I can't help thinking that Terry's alleged negative experience may really just be his imagination on overdrive...

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/don-t-ring-us-we-ll-ring-you-1.4531239?mode=amp

That's pretty epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect his experience may be rooted in a tiny bit of reality. an 'i'm sorry, we're sold out of any bike you might be interested in under that price'. but he has his ball, and he's going to run towards a line that he thinks is the goal line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Stark wrote: »
    Did Cyclelogical move to Cork? :pac:

That's just cruel.
    and funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's pretty epic.

Why would you even put that up on your newspaper

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that might have been better than some of the alternatives, alas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"I was purchasing a bell for my racing bike" is reminiscent of those supposedly Ireland-based advocacy accounts on Twitter you sometimes see that keep talking about what people in "Eire" think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Liveline discussing hit&runs with cyclists
    Ray and Edward in their 50s discussing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

zell12 wrote: »

I presume this is to discuss pedestrians / cyclists & not the hundreds, possibly thousands, of cyclists that have been left injured or maimed on the side of the road by motorists who promptly kept going.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Funny story on bottom right hand corner of the Dr Hutch image.

https://twitter.com/cyclingweekly/status/1381604783715418113

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

zell12 wrote: »
    Nearly turned off when Duffy tried to use low sun as an excuse, didn't last beyond the second fella who seemed to be suggesting it was karma he was hit and run for RLJ....

Shocking Gardai Press Office statement - I guess why would anyone else take it seriously when Gardai Head Office clearly aren't!

Anyway, hopefully the people come forward and face the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

May he RIP.
    Bicycle-drawn hearse brings cycling advocate on his last journey
    Paddy Cahill made films about cycling and Dublin’s architectural legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

**** show on Liveline today. Amongst many clowns, Duffy has a moron on the radio admitting to shouting at a cyclist out the window to use the cycle lane. Sounds like some of the stereotypical boards.ie poster.

I'm only in it for the morbid curiosity after catching the start after the news at lunchtime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On any given day, Joe Duffy is about as low as anyone can go in regards what they put themselves through mentally. His callers and himself are now caricatures of themselves, with only Pat Kenny and Ciara Kelly coming in at the same level. Lowest common denominator stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,212 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I had to stop listening to Pat K after hearing him mouthing off about cyclists and how the Luas took up too much road space. I'd say Joe Duffy's show is even worse, I just couldn't do it to myself. It's not good for the cycling cause though, having these idiots spouting nonsense on the airwaves. It encourages hate crimes against the cycling community. I'm not even joking.

I had to stop listening to Pat K after hearing him mouthing off about cyclists and how the Luas took up too much road space. I'd say Joe Duffy's show is even worse, I just couldn't do it to myself. It's not good for the cycling cause though, having these idiots spouting nonsense on the airwaves. It encourages hate crimes against the cycling community. I'm not even joking.

Problem is a road traffic expert with stats and facts gets the same billing as Damo and Joxer shouting nonsense anecdotal stories that they heard down the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

CramCycle wrote: »
    On any given day, Joe Duffy is about as low as anyone can go in regards what they put themselves through mentally. His callers and himself are now caricatures of themselves, with only Pat Kenny and Ciara Kelly coming in at the same level. Lowest common denominator stuff.

I'm going to say Ciara Kelly is not equivalent to PK, but worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

True, very true but as I age I try to see the positives. I suppose one can only be thankful for small mercies i.e. George Hook is off the airwaves.

a friend of a friend was on the george hook show a couple of times to talk about his area of expertise. apparently his takeaway was 'if you think what he says *on* air is bad...'

a friend of a friend was on the george hook show a couple of times to talk about his area of expertise. apparently his takeaway was 'if you think what he says *on* air is bad...'

I've a pal who did his make up for tv a few times when she was getting started in the industry and she had good things to say about him compared to others at RTE at the time.

i do remember once listening to his technology section, and almost shouting at the radio, he was so unbelieveably patronising to the female guest he had on (while being nicey nicey to the male guest); and then announced that he'd just been told by his producers that his own daughter had texted in asking them to rein her dad in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

See this is why I wasn't exaggerating when I called them hate crimes against people on bikes. I wonder how many people have been killed after being purposely ran off the road by people in cars? It's f*cking crazy the hatred out there.

ir's assault, plain and simple, not a hate crime.

ir's assault, plain and simple, not a hate crime.

I don't know, some of the stuff you read online, some people fantasise about doing this kind of stuff.

I don't know, some of the stuff you read online, some people fantasise about doing this kind of stuff.

Its funny how saying " I'm going to kill a random stranger on purpose with my car "doesn't hold the same weight as" I'm going to stab a random stranger"

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I get why cyclists are mad at motorists, and obviously attempted murders like that one need to be discouraged. There's no excuse.

But roads are meant for travel purposes - not for exercise. There are trails and amenities for that. Cyclists block up roads and slow drivers down when they go out for leisure rides, especially in rural areas. In cities, cycling is a viable form of transport but cyclists should stick to cycle lanes and stop causing traffic jams.

Also I think cyclists should pay road tax, register their bikes and affix number plates, and have to have an annual check to make sure their bike is roadworthy. If motorists have to do it, why shouldn't cyclists?

Full house!!!!! better call check :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jinks

I get why cyclists are mad at motorists, and obviously attempted murders like that one need to be discouraged. There's no excuse.

But roads are meant for travel purposes - not for exercise. There are trails and amenities for that. Cyclists block up roads and slow drivers down when they go out for leisure rides, especially in rural areas. In cities, cycling is a viable form of transport but cyclists should stick to cycle lanes and stop causing traffic jams.

Also I think cyclists should pay road tax, register their bikes and affix number plates, and have to have an annual check to make sure their bike is roadworthy. If motorists have to do it, why shouldn't cyclists?

When did motorists start paying road tax?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But roads are meant for travel purposes - not for exercise.
    Which piece of legislation defines this?
    There are trails and amenities for that. Cyclists block up roads and slow drivers down when they go out for leisure rides, especially in rural areas. In cities, cycling is a viable form of transport but cyclists should stick to cycle lanes and stop causing traffic jams.
    Some drivers drive for leisure?
    What about people who cycle to work or school? Are they allowed use roads? How do cyclists get to these magical trails and amenities?
    Nobody in this country pays Road Tax!
    Anyhow, this is just stupid trolling! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dont waste your time responding to that clown, people like him are the reason assaults like this happen.

Advertisement